1960's Astro Boy Season 1 DVD Box Set (Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

jennytablina wrote:After being burned with my attempts at getting the kimba sets. I'm not quite so keen on buying online as I was before.

If you buy from the used dealers on Amazon, this is -fairly- safe. Far safer than Ebay. If the sellers try to pull anything fast you can sick Amazon on 'em, and this is far more effective than the slap on the wrist that Ebay may or may not inflict upon its lowsy sellers (OK, I've been BADLY burned on Ebay and am sick of it.)

I order almost everything from the used dealers on Amazon, and while it isn't always the very cheapest, it is never the most expensive, and almost always 100% reliable.

The day I heard about this set I ordered it from Alphacraze (one of the best dealers off amazon in the New England area), and will certainly have it by end-week. So there you go!
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Quote:
So this episode was colourized? I've also seen colourized images of the "lost" episode too. Was that really also colourized? What's the deal with these odd colourized episodes anyway? :confused: End Quote.

Quotes not working properly. It's by member "OsamuTesuka"

Hi,

The episode "Moon Monsters", known as "Earth Defense Army" in Japan wasn't colorised, it was filmed in color for a Japanese theatrical movie in 1964 called "Astro Boy the Brave in Space". It was shown in Theaters in Japan in color, but in America and Japan at that time, tv was still broadcasting in BnW, so the stand alone episode "Earth Defense Army/Moon Monsters" was broadcast in BnW and BnW prints were made for tv and that's what we dubbed in English back then. But on the recent Japanese dvds of Astro they used the original color master print, which the Right Stuf will soon release with subs on the next box set. I can't wait. One of my favorite eps. :astro:
Last edited by Atoman on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Probably an unfair question since everyone loves the 80's series (me too!), but is the 60's series a lot closer to the spirit of the manga? If so I will be greatly enjoying it. While the 80's series is great, it does sometimes miss the original feel (which isn't always a bad thing--sometimes it is an improvement.)

I actually really enjoy how Tezuka had the opportunity to rework things multiple times (manga->60's series->80's series), allowing for variation and theme.

Personally, I love the whole Jungle Emperor/Kimba contrast where he lets a theme grow and become something else. Ah well, I'll stop there...
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Personally I was surprised at how close the 80s and 60s series are. Closer to each other than the manga, IMO. The 60s series had to pad out the stories a lot to fill the length of an animated episode. I daresay the 80s series was based on the 60s series, with the notable inclusion of the ongoing good vs evil theme of the Atlas episodes.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:Personally I was surprised at how close the 80s and 60s series are. Closer to each other than the manga, IMO. The 60s series had to pad out the stories a lot to fill the length of an animated episode. I daresay the 80s series was based on the 60s series, with the notable inclusion of the ongoing good vs evil theme of the Atlas episodes.

Yet, there was at least 1 story that was better retold in the 80s than in the 60s, though I cannot say which one without first pouring through tons of data. :lol: The humorous parts were far better represented in the 60s, & the very design of the 80s series was far more serious. The cars, rockets, helicopters, etc were drawn funny in both the manga & the 60s. Moreover, the 60s had filler humor that added nothing to the stories, & could have been used in any stories that had certain scenes. For instance, fish dancing. They are featured in several under water scenes in several episodes. Atom is rarely seen in those scenes, yet, there they are. :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

I suppose that was the style of anime in general around 1980. There was Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Voltron, Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc, which all had their comic relief characters but on the whole were presented in a more serious tone.

But I haven't seen any non-Tezuka work from the 60s, like Prince Planet, Gigantor and Speed Racer, so I don't know if this is confined to changes in Tezuka's work or a more general shift in anime.

This is interesting:
http://espanol.geocities.com/gapc/animetv-jp/list1960-1989.html
It lists a "Kyojin no Hoshi meets Tetsuwan Atom" special in 1969. :o hmy: :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:I suppose that was the style of anime in general around 1980. There was Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Voltron, Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc, which all had their comic relief characters but on the whole were presented in a more serious tone.

But I haven't seen any non-Tezuka work from the 60s, like Prince Planet, Gigantor and Speed Racer, so I don't know if this is confined to changes in Tezuka's work or a more general shift in anime.

This is interesting:
http://espanol.geocities.com/gapc/animetv-jp/list1960-1989.html
It lists a "Kyojin no Hoshi meets Tetsuwan Atom" special in 1969. :o hmy: :astro:

In a brief search for info on this, I found a really big list of anime a really big list of anime, complete with images, Japanese, Romanji, & English names. :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”