Astroboy 2003: Movie & Season 2?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
OsamuTezuka
Kokoro Robot

Astroboy 2003: Movie & Season 2?

Postby OsamuTezuka » 18 years ago

So will we be getting an english dub of the new Astroboy anime movie? Also are they going to make more episodes in Japan? What's the status of the US/english rights to this stuff? :confused:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

I haven't heard anything official, so I can only give my guesses.

Given that the US (and Australia) didn't even finish broadcasting the TV series, I doubt they'll be interested in the 2005 movie. I also doubt there'll be more Japanese episodes made (maybe in another 20 years!). My best hope is the movie will turn up as a poorly subbed bootleg on the Asian market. At least we can watch it then.

I've been wrong several times before in my Astroboy predictions. :D

As for the rights, in the US the 2003 series is held by Sony. In Australia it's held by Columbia Tristar (owned by Sony). The 2005 movie hasn't been licensed outside of Japan.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

So, there IS a movie? Or aren't we even sure about that? :confused:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Hey all,

Yes there is a movie. It came out in theaters in Japan last summer. I wouldn't count on it being translated though, after the weak popularity of Astro here in the U.S. recently, as compared to his iconic popularity in Japan and other Asian countries. The best thing to do is buy the Japanese dvd, which should be released this summer, I hope anyway. It won't have subs or dubs, but it will be all there is, ever. I'll let you know when it's released :astro:

As far as another Astro series, I doubt that very much, right now anyway, because Tezuka Prod. is making it's 3rd season of Black Jack now retitled "Black Jack 21" and it's very popular. So until that project is over Astro is on hold. But there may be more movies, after all there's been several Black Jack movies. It's just a matter of time, there'll always be more Astro. :astro:

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby stoogefreaky » 18 years ago

Was the Japan Astro Boy movie animation or live? And does anyone know more about the Astro Boy movie being directed by Genndy Tartakousky?

1magus
Robot President

Postby 1magus » 18 years ago

Live woukld be kind of Cute and Funny but it was animation most likely.
"You're wrong. The heart may be weak, and sometimes, it may even give in. But I know, deep inside it, there is a light that never goes out."-Sora

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

It was anime, same style as the 2003 series.

Still no word on the CGI/Live movie with Genndy Tartakovsky.

I'm endeavouring to keep track of all the movies and specials here:
http://astroboy.cjb.cc/episodesmovies.php

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Hey all,

Here's the official site of the recent Astro movie with bad English translation :lol: :
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fastroboy.jp%2Fc%2F013%2Findex.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Click on the trailer to see what it looks like. It's anime, not live action. I think the live-action project has been shelved permanetly due to lack of interest here in the U.S. Ohh well, at least the Japanese made an anime movie. Can't wait till it's on dvd. :astro:

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

I want to make it clear. AstroBoy 2003 only happened due to Sony of America helping fund the project. Due to the series dismall ratings in the USA, I doubt Sony of America will fund for another for another series. This is sad, but it is true.

While Sony of Japan could possibly easily make a series, the quality of the last series was due to the high budget included in the co-funding. (Series like Black Jack 2004 due not have the high quality Astro Boy 2003 had) Though, I understand as long as the show is good, the budget doesn't matter. The only issue is a low budget limits action at times. *sigh* Sometimes I wish we never had money at all though...

EDIT: And here's my 100th post.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

ChibiGoku wrote:AstroBoy 2003 only happened due to Sony of America helping fund the project.

How do you know this?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”