How did you discover Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

H! I just joined and thought i'd start off by talking about how I discovered him. I acutally had known of him for years from my dad. He used to watch the old 60s cartoon when he was little. Seeing other 60s anime, I never really wanted to look at it, (no offense meant to any fans of the 6os toon) but years later, I found the Dark Horses translated Manga at a comic shop. I got curious and read one. I fell in love with the kid after that. I kept reading more. (despite my mom making fun of the fact that it was a lame cartoon. She's never seen the manga) I thought the maga was well written, funny, and Astro was adorable. Seeing how caring he was, how well-meaning he was, I just wanted to take him home. So all in all, i'm more of a fan of the manga than any other incarnation of Astro. Though I do really want to see this new series.
So, how did you discover Astro?

wicked fierce
Metro City Citizen

Postby wicked fierce » 20 years ago

My story really isn't that interesting.

As a kid we only had two channels. One of them showed Robotech, the other showed Astroboy. I never did like Robotech. Loved Astro though.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I am an old fart who still remembers the 60s B&W cartoon. When I watched the first tape and heard the theme song for the first time in over thirty years, I wept. I rediscovered Astroboy on the now deceased yesterdayland.com. Since then, I have bought everything (video and manga) I could find, and begun learning spoken Japanese so I will not need to wait for the fansubs. :D

Loüßëãr
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Loüßëãr » 20 years ago

As a kid we only had two channels. One of them showed Robotech, the other showed Astroboy. I never did like Robotech. Loved Astro though.

I can relate to that story because we have only had 2 channels to choose from & Astroboy was just the most fantastic cartoon I had seen(I love Looney toons but a kid needs variety ;) ) Since then I have adored all things Astro..My hubby still prefers marine boy :angry: and knocks Astro every time he sees my stuff on the computer.I wish there was more stuff freely available on astro around here altho a few store have got SOME shirts but I refuse to pay $50.00au for a knock off t-shirt( :angry: shame on you!! ;) even if it does have the Mighty Atom on it. I cannot wait to see the new stuff and the sooner it gets aired in aussie land the better!!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

I think I was about 7 when the colour series of Astro started showing in Australia in 1982. I remember a few seconds into the first episode seeing it was made in 1982 and thinking how brand new it was. It quickly became my favourite cartoon. Anime was rare on TV back then, I think Star Blazers was the only one I'd seen before that.

The ABC repeated the series at least once a year until the early 90s, and I taped all the episodes of TV. I was sick for many years and I would watch through the tapes because I had nothing else to do.

ozfiz
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ozfiz » 20 years ago

i cant remember when i first started watching it, probably about 6 or 7 watching it late 80s early 90s. i had a very vauge memory of it. i think i was about 14 i was shopping and i seen a couple of episodes on tape . and i just fell in love with him again

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 20 years ago

I was at a Suncoast (a store that sells videos and CDs) one day when I first encountered Astro. I was just browsing and then I thought I saw Megaman in black and white. One of my friends said the show was a copy of Megaman (How wrong he was! It was the other way around! ;) and so I bought it. When I was watching it, it was a surprise because I was expecting something like Felix the Cat or Mickey Mouse type of cartoons of way back when. BUT, I fell in love with it automatically just because of being different.

It's was strange... Before I saw the tape, I brought some merchandise with Astro on it when I was shopping on that very day. I guess I knew that I would like him even if I never seen him before. ;^_^

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Well, I was reading a magazine. I saw something about my favorite show. I saw it. It was stupid. ITS A WONDER HOW SO MANY PEOPLE CAN LIKE SUCH A STUPID SHOW!!!!!!

Perhaps your favorite show is the one that sucks, and because you know this is true, you dared not tell us its name. :D

wicked fierce
Metro City Citizen

Postby wicked fierce » 20 years ago

Interesting. I can't follow the logic of someone searching for a show they don't like and even posting on the message board. Lack of attention comes to mind.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”