60s episode guide

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

60s Episodes

There is one story that has a plot similar to The Outer Limits' Fun & Games, & a slight resemblence to Star Trek's The Arena, and might be "based upon a story by Robert Specht (from his original teleplay entitled 'Natural Selection'", just as is Fun & Games.

Anyway, here is the synopsis of the 97th Episode: Confrontation in Space (December 5, 1964)

Planet Hyper is the most civilized planet in the galactic system. Now it chooses a pair of a human and a robot each from both the Earth and Planet War to have them fight against each other, and decides to destroy the loser's planet. Atom and Ponkotsu Tetsu, the safebreaker, are chosen to represent the Earth.

Here is a quote from Fun & Games:
A former boxer, now a part-time hood, named Mike Benson (Nick Adams) and a woman just coming from out of a troubled marriage named Laura Hanley (Nancy Malone) are quite bewildered when they are unexpectedly "electroported" away from Earth and find themselves inside a foggy, otherworldly room...

They are to engage in a battle of wits and survival with another alien race upon the Anderans' especially selected arena planet in order to entertain the bloody-minded masses of Anderan. Making matters worse, the losers' home world is to destroyed in the contest's aftermath.

:lol: Similarity very high. The page for Fun & Games notes the similarity to Star Trek's The Arena, & after seeing both Fun & Games & the Arena, I noted a very great similarity between the aliens pitted against the Earthilings, both were lizard-men. :lol:

Here is a quote from The Arena:
Without warning, Kirk finds himself alone on the surface of a harsh desert planet. Alone except for the Captain of the alien Marauder, a hulking reptillian humanoid of the Gorn species. The Metrons have decided on "trial by combat" to solve the dispute. Kirk and the Gorn captain must battle to the death...the survivor's ship will be allowed to depart. The loser will be obliterated. And so, stranded on an unknown world, with only natural resources to rely on, Kirk must battle the much stronger and more ferocious Gorn, with the lives of his whole crew on the line.

Outer Limits' Calco
Star Trek's Gorn

Hopefully, TRSI will soon restore this episode, it would be funny if Astroboy'sopponent is also a lizard-man.

Anyway, all 192 episodes are briefly discribed on this page , which is found here [url=http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/anime/sakuhin/ts/ts002.html]Animation Works: Astroboy under the Subtitles

A good many of these draw their stories from the manga,

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 19 years ago

Cool post. I'm currently watching Star Trek for the first time in my life despite somehow not watching the series yet even though I'm 28 years old. I watched about 8 episodes growing up but that was about it. I started half way through and am now probably about 10 episodes in so I din't see episode 19 yet. I'll have to keep a close eye on that episode. With so many plots in Astroboy there must be a lot of similarities between some Astro shows and other pieces of storytelling. I've heard for example Star Trek itself got influenced some by the Japanese anime Space Cruiser Yamato. I've gotta watch that series someday too.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by wildpegasus@Sep 30 2004, 09:36 AM
Cool post. I'm currently watching Star Trek for the first time in my life despite somehow not watching the series yet even though I'm 28 years old. I watched about 8 episodes growing up but that was about it. I started half way through and am now probably about 10 episodes in so I din't see episode 19 yet. I'll have to keep a close eye on that episode. With so many plots in Astroboy there must be a lot of similarities between some Astro shows and other pieces of storytelling. I've heard for example Star Trek itself got influenced some by the Japanese anime Space Cruiser Yamato. I've gotta watch that series someday too.

Do not be surprised if you have trouble finding it, because the English Dubbed title is Star Blazers. I did not think that it was that old, though.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by Atoman@Oct 1 2004, 10:33 PM
B) Hey all, Hey Jeffbert,

I agree with you 100 percent. I've have both the Star Trek and the Outer Limits versions of that plot on dvd, unfortunately I've only read desriptions of the Astro Boy version. It's episode no. 88 of the Billie Lou Watt dub, acording to http://www.astroboy.tv/ and it's called [b]Contest in Space

It's not availible on tape though. :( I'd really like to see Astro's take on that plot.
It's a given that Astro would win ;) , but what I'd really like to see is how Astro would convince the aliens runing the fight to spare the lives of his apponents. Also It would be interesting to see how Astro would deal with his "partner" who is a safe cracking criminal
who Astro was trying to bust just before the contest.

I'm going to breakdown and buy the rest of the 60's and the 80's tapes because I don't think they're going to release them on dvd any time soon. In fact I read at two different sites that the Right Stuff, Manga video and Columbia Tristar made a deal with Tezuka Prod. not to release any Astro Boy on dvd until after the movie. I think that's to long a wait especially since it might be shelved or change directors again :(

Ohh well, at least I can get the tapes still :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b]

Shawne Kleckner of The Right Stuf sells 6 packs on eBay under the member name Gleckner. You can use buy now option for $35. Here is the currently available item:
30th anniversary 1-6.

First come, first serve!

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Atoman Oct 3 2004@ 03:42 AM
Now I have all the 80's eps. except the lost 2nd episode. <_<

There is a FTP server hosting the 4 first episodes of the 1980 Astroboy, however those episodes are in Japanese. It seems anyway that second episode doesn't exist in any other language :(
http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/inde...0&hl=ftp+server
There is also a web page explaining (in English) Atlas' story:
http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/inde...ct=ST&f=1&t=788
Hope it will be of some use to you ;)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

:lol: Yay I'm a newbie.

Thanks Fafner, that is some help. I've seen that thread about the Atlas story. It made me want to see it even more. :o Doh! some of my 60's and 80's tapes have been back ordered. I may have to wait 'till Dec. to get them. :angry: Ohh well, something new to watch during the holidays. :lol:

:lol: Hey all! I heard that there were some 60's eps. filmed in two tone color with cyan and magenta(blue and red). there was also a 1964 two tone color movie. :wahah: I've seen pics. of the movie at the Tezuka site but can't find it availible on the internet, even from Japan, unless the official 60's dvds from Japan have it as an extra. Does any one know were I could find this, or perhaps to just watch it on the net?

See ya! B)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by jeffbert@Sep 28 2004, 11:42 AM
60s Episodes

There is one story that has a plot similar to [b]The Outer Limits'
Fun & Games, & a slight resemblence to Star Trek's The Arena, and might be "based upon a story by Robert Specht (from his original teleplay entitled 'Natural Selection'", just as is Fun & Games.

Anyway, here is the synopsis of the 97th Episode: Confrontation in Space (December 5, 1964)

Planet Hyper is the most civilized planet in the galactic system. Now it chooses a pair of a human and a robot each from both the Earth and Planet War to have them fight against each other, and decides to destroy the loser's planet. Atom and Ponkotsu Tetsu, the safebreaker, are chosen to represent the Earth.

Here is a quote from Fun & Games:
A former boxer, now a part-time hood, named Mike Benson (Nick Adams) and a woman just coming from out of a troubled marriage named Laura Hanley (Nancy Malone) are quite bewildered when they are unexpectedly "electroported" away from Earth and find themselves inside a foggy, otherworldly room...

They are to engage in a battle of wits and survival with another alien race upon the Anderans' especially selected arena planet in order to entertain the bloody-minded masses of Anderan. Making matters worse, the losers' home world is to destroyed in the contest's aftermath.

:lol: Similarity very high. The page for Fun & Games notes the similarity to Star Trek's The Arena, & after seeing both Fun & Games & the Arena, I noted a very great similarity between the aliens pitted against the Earthilings, both were lizard-men. :lol:

Here is a quote from The Arena:
Without warning, Kirk finds himself alone on the surface of a harsh desert planet. Alone except for the Captain of the alien Marauder, a hulking reptillian humanoid of the Gorn species. The Metrons have decided on "trial by combat" to solve the dispute. Kirk and the Gorn captain must battle to the death...the survivor's ship will be allowed to depart. The loser will be obliterated. And so, stranded on an unknown world, with only natural resources to rely on, Kirk must battle the much stronger and more ferocious Gorn, with the lives of his whole crew on the line.

Outer Limits' Calco
Star Trek's Gorn

Hopefully, TRSI will soon restore this episode, it would be funny if Astroboy'sopponent is also a lizard-man.

Anyway, all 192 episodes are briefly discribed on this page , which is found here [url=http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/anime/sakuhin/ts/ts002.html]Animation Works: Astroboy under the Subtitles

A good many of these draw their stories from the manga, [/b]

:lol: I am now watching LIS season 2 disc 2, which has an episode called The Deadly Games of Gamma 6, that has a very similar plot. The aliens persuade Dr. Smith to participate in annual games. Winners are rewarded, but losers' planets are conquered! :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”