Astro Boy (1963) Set 1 Release Date Set

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
shawnek
Kokoro Robot

Postby shawnek » 18 years ago

The Right Stuf International is proud to announce that on March 28th 2006, ASTRO BOY, the series that launched the anime phenomenon, will return to the US! For the first time ever, the original 1963 Astro Boy series will be released on DVD in a stunning new collection that includes the first 52 episodes on 11 DVDs, fully restored, plus never-before-seen footage, previously unreleased episodes, and exciting new extras!

ASTRO BOY (1963) ULTRA COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD SET 1
Pre-book date: 2/28/2006 - Street date: 3/28/2006
Approximately 1200 minutes, Mono, Black and White.
Genre: Adventure / Retro TV
DVD (English)
Catalog#: RSDVD2013
Suggested Rating: ALL
ISBN: 1-57032-811-0
UPC#: 7-42617-2013-2-5
SRP: $129.99

The Astro Boy Ultra Collector's Edition Set 1 will include: the first 52 episodes of the original, 1963 black-and-white Astro Boy series, fully restored; part 1 of an interview with Astro Boy's English producer, Fred Ladd; the original Japanese Astro Boy episode 1, in Japanese with English subtitles; an original character art gallery; a merchandise gallery; a collector's booklet featuring "The History of Astro Boy", an Osamu Tezuka biography, an episode guide, and more!

ABOUT ASTRO BOY
The very first anime ever produced, Osamu Tezuka's (KIMBA, THE WHITE LION / HI NO TORI / METROPOLIS) original 1963 - 1964 ASTRO BOY delighted children around the world with its touching stories and compelling characters. In the U.S., many will remember this popular children's series which aired on TV during the 1960s. Now, this groundbreaking series returns for the first time ever in a stunning new collector's edition that includes the first 52 episodes of the original black and white series as seen in the US, restored to pristine detail, and featuring never-before-seen footage and brand new exciting extras.

The original boy-robot with 100,000 horsepower strength and courage! In the year 2000, Dr. Boyton creates a super-robot in his deceased son's image. He calls the robot Astro Boy. Astro Boy can swim oceans, leap over mountains, even fly into space on his own power. However, Astro Boy can't replace his son; Dr. Boyton becomes dissatisfied with the boy robot and disowns him. Astro Boy is befriended by Dr. Packadermus J. Elefun of the Institute of Science, who guides him through his adventures. Endowed with super strength, rocket-powered flight, a selfless heart and a kind demeanor, Astro Boy fights a never-ending crusade against the forces of evil!

Contains DVD Set 1 (episodes 1-52), PLUS a special collector's booklet, and an entire DVD full of extra bonus material, including part 1 of an interview with series producer Fred Ladd!

This ultimate Astro Boy collection is perfect for both retro enthusiasts and adults who were delighted by the series' touching stories and compelling characters during its 1960s TV broadcast!

Set 2... coming this summer!

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Awesome! It is like I live in perpetual Christmas!

I know a great number of episodes were never brought to the US, but will either of these sets include the episode where Astro flies into the sun? (hope that didn't spoile anything for anyone.)
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

shawnek
Kokoro Robot

Postby shawnek » 18 years ago

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Jan 5 2006, 01:08 PM
Awesome! It is like I live in perpetual Christmas!

I know a great number of episodes were never brought to the US, but will either of these sets include the episode where Astro flies into the sun? (hope that didn't spoile anything for anyone.)

The final episode will be included in the 2nd set release.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Originally posted by shawnek+Jan 4 2006, 11:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shawnek @ Jan 4 2006, 11:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--O2Destroyer@Jan 5 2006, 01:08 PM
Awesome!  It is like I live in perpetual Christmas!

The final episode will be included in the 2nd set release. [/b][/quote]
Are you saying the 193rd episode with subtitles will be on set 2?

Regardless, when will set #2 be released, & what other extras will be on it?

Thanks. :lol:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

If you poke around the webpage, I believe it says second season will come out sometime in the summer.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

sdp
Kokoro Robot

Postby sdp » 18 years ago

this is the region 1 set? or the collectors tin?

seems kind of steep in price,

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by sdp@Jan 6 2006, 06:01 PM

Region 1.

It is about the same price as the Kimba set, which listed at $120 or so but when it came out could be had for ~$80

Hope you haven't been spoiled by the manga 80's set which was far cheaper than any set like that should be...

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Is there a list of the episodes included somewhere? :huh:

sdp
Kokoro Robot

Postby sdp » 18 years ago

Originally posted by O2Destroyer+Jan 6 2006, 09:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (O2Destroyer @ Jan 6 2006, 09:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sdp@Jan 6 2006, 06:01 PM

Region 1.

It is about the same price as the Kimba set, which listed at $120 or so but when it came out could be had for ~$80

Hope you haven't been spoiled by the manga 80's set which was far cheaper than any set like that should be... [/b][/quote]
I was spoiled with the 80s set, but still, i really can't justify spending that much money, specially counting it is not the entire series, it is not uncut, or include japanese track and that its an old series etc.

around 50$ price is what i would expect from a set like this, is it going to be majorly distributed?

and what are the differences between the Australian and American release this time?

between the 80s versions i gladly took the american version because even if it wasn't as good the price more than made up for it, but this time around they are both expensive i might just get the australian tin version.

It's the same with Kimba, the box set is too expensive for 52 episodes, i've gotten 5 of those public domain 1$ dvds that include two episodes (in english and spanish)..the quality is still decent.

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Postby jennytablina » 18 years ago

Is there any chance this set would get a UK release, theres a severe shortage of Astro DVD's here and I'ld like it if I could buy a copy of this set easier than buying online. I'm still waiting for my Kimba set to arrive from the online store I brought it from :\

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”