Talk about all things Astro Boy!
dannavy85
Banned

Cartoon on Tezuka's 80th birthday.

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Soul Rokkuman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Soul Rokkuman » 14 years ago

Lovely movie... :heart: I watched it a few years ago.

dannavy85
Banned

One interesting note while I was based in Japan I found the location of the armaments factory Tezuka had worked in when Osaka was bombed in 1945, the site is now half apartments, half empty lot. I never found traces of the bunker pit he was running towards, which he mentioned in a biography during the 1970's.

He ran half way there during the firebombing when he ran back to the factory to get his drawing materials, all he had was a ruler, a few pencils and newspaper sheets he'd salvaged and de-inked, that was all he had and it was so important to him that he ran back to pick them up.

The bunker pit must have been hit or the fires around it were white hot but by the time Tezuka reached it he found everyone inside had sufficated to death.

Of all the things that influenced the rest of his days, Tezuka said that never left him mentally. It cemented forever his absolute hate of all things military and who can blame him for it?

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"dannavy85" wrote:One interesting note while I was based in Japan I found the location of the armaments factory Tezuka had worked in when Osaka was bombed in 1945, the site is now half apartments, half empty lot. I never found traces of the bunker pit he was running towards, which he mentioned in a biography during the 1970's.

He ran half way there during the firebombing when he ran back to the factory to get his drawing materials, all he had was a ruler, a few pencils and newspaper sheets he'd salvaged and de-inked, that was all he had and it was so important to him that he ran back to pick them up.

The bunker pit must have been hit or the fires around it were white hot but by the time Tezuka reached it he found everyone inside had sufficated to death.

Of all the things that influenced the rest of his days, Tezuka said that never left him mentally. It cemented forever his absolute hate of all things military and who can blame him for it?

Its a sad thing to find people like that. I think it'll stay in my memory too. Poor man. I have a deep hatred for military too...only for different reasons.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Cute video!
And DAMN! If I lived that, I'd probably grow to hate military too. I've noticed that a lot of Japanese must hate military since they rarely (if ever) are portrayed very well in animes. Full Metal Alchemist, anyone?

Uran-chan
Robot President

Postby Uran-chan » 14 years ago

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Cute video!
And DAMN! If I lived that, I'd probably grow to hate military too. I've noticed that a lot of Japanese must hate military since they rarely (if ever) are portrayed very well in animes. Full Metal Alchemist, anyone?

Yeah Maybe So he hate the military near the end but he get the philisopher stone anyway

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

Very touching.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 14 years ago

:( "I'm begging you... please let me work..."

As far as I know, those were his last words in his bedside.
You're always in our hearts, Tezuka Sensei. :heart:

Uran-chan
Robot President

Postby Uran-chan » 14 years ago

So Son Goku was made by him well anyways the AMV is so good and heartendring too. its so bad he died

Arigato Tezuka san

dannavy85
Banned

The interesting creation of Shinsaku Ban from Tezuka's 1975 autobiography which was translated by Mister Fred Shodt

It was 1942 and I was still in school of course. Among the compulsery education courses we had to go through was military training, how you could get a group of children to do anything syncronized of course is a feat unto itself, but here was my whole grade class tromping through the woods in military uniforms, backpacks and wooden rifles. Our headmaster was a loud screaming, absolutely fanatical and foul breathing Army sergent who had come home from duty in Manchuria and he was determined to make us all good soldiers for his majesty or die in the attempt. Of course candy behind the eyes of our parents and school teachers was a good bribe. Well myself and one of my classmates decided to ditch during one of our torturous marching sessions when I saw a bug that held my fascination. We were sitting on a log when our conversation went from the interesting features of this insect to the behavior of our grumpy sergent. Konoske took a stick and thought I should draw a comic around our illustrious sergent to which I laughed and took up a stick so we started drawing him. About the time we had agreed upon the look of his face, our sergent showed up right behind us and it was as if a storm had been unloosed against us! I was accused of every crime imaginable...the downfall of our country, a disgrace to his Imperial magesty, the destruction of the sun, an unrelenting torrent of spit and tooth knashing rage... And I couldn't help but laugh. The Sergent's face twisted in ways I never thought a human face could. When you see Mister Ban loosing his composure I swear this is the very thing the sergent's face could do. After an hour of extra marching and torment came another hour of self pontificating where the Sergent extolled his virtues, his superhuman ability to single handedly wipe out a thousand Chinese soldiers, how could a single human being possess so much super human atributes? That was my inspiration for Shinsaku Ban, he is the Sergent ever immortalized.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”