Introducing myself and showing off my Astro stuff

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shirubie
Kokoro Robot

Introducing myself and showing off my Astro stuff

Postby Shirubie » 14 years ago

Hi everyone! My name's Shirubie, I'm a 27 year old canadian woman who's been an Astro fan since her childhood. I've just discovered this forum and was overjoyed to find an active Astro Boy message board on the net.

I first saw Astro in french on canadian television and somewhat forgot about him until a few years ago. I became a fan of anime in my teens and while searching the net for anime info, I learned that this half-remembered show about a robot boy was originally from japan and a cultural icon there. I found some tapes of the 80s series and fell in love with Astro all over again.

I also discovered Osamu Tezuka's other works recently, like Phoenix, Black Jack, Midnight (a little known manga of Tezuka about a taxi driver) and many others. Tezuka-Sensei is now one of my personal heroes.

And here is my little Astro boy collection. Not a lot of stuff but I'm still proud of it:

-Astro Plushie: found at an anime convention in Montreal years ago.
-Astro board game: based on the 2003 series, found on sale for 10$. Never played, I just bought it because 2003 series merchandise is kinda rare.
-Mangas: I added a few more since I took this picture. I also have a french edition manga published in 1997.
- Poster: found in the Montreal Chinatown in an Anime store.
-Not shown: Book "The Astro boy Essays" by Fred Schodt, two volumes of the manga "Pluto", an "How to draw Astro Boy" book and DVD box sets of the 80s and 2003 series.

Well, that's about all I have to say about me. I hope to have interesting discussions with my fellow Astro Boy fans. See Ya!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

Welcome Shirubie! :D I find your collection very interesting. I hope you enjoy the forum!

I didn't even know there was a board game. :eek: Can I come and play since we don't live too far of each others? :p

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Aww, I totally want that plushie!! ^^
And yes, there was indeed a board game. "Astro Boy saves the universe" I believe it's called. Never owned it so I don't know how the gameplay works

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 14 years ago

hahaha, I own the board game, too (probably would have forgotten if I didn't see it here... ha) I also have a similar plushie. I have a sitting one, a running one, then Uran, Shunsaku Ban, and Ochanomizu Hakase. :]

[EDIT] I have the running atomu hanging from the mirror of my car. ;] [/EDIT]

MangaBottle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MangaBottle » 14 years ago

Yay for collecting manga-crap! :D

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

I ain't got any Astro stuff. Hey has the Astro Boy manga been translated?

Miniduffa
Kokoro Robot

Postby Miniduffa » 14 years ago

Welcome to the boards. :)

I envy you. :p I have literally nothing except for out of order episodes of the 2003 anime on Veoh.

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

Oh wait I got the 2003 series on DVD in its entirety (except 'Eternal Boy' of course). Speaking of which does anyone know anywhere that Eternal Boy has been uploaded?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

You can find it here. It is even subtitled in English :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Shirubie
Kokoro Robot

Postby Shirubie » 14 years ago

Astro Forever wrote:Can I come and play since we don't live too far of each others?

Another canadian fan, yay! Where do you live? I'm in Sherbrooke Qc.

MegaAstroFan75 wrote:Hey has the Astro Boy manga been translated?

You mean in english? Yes, it's published by Dark Horse Comics in the US.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”