World wide gross?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

World wide gross?

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

We know Astro Boy didn't perform quite as we wished it would in the US but what was the worldwide gross for the movie? I know it was number 1 in China and I've been told it was "Well received" in Australia and Canada but does anyone have any exact numbers? I've been searching but was unable to find anything

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Did some searching myself with no luck as of yet. I'm certainly hoping well enough to merit a sequel! I have a feeling soundtrack (gorgeous IMO), DVD, BluRay, and merchandise sales may help quite a bit too a bit later down the line.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

You never know. I've heard Hellboy got a sequel due to DVD sales. I also know even though Cars didn't perform as well as they wanted in Theaters, it's getting a sequel due to it's merchandise sales.
SO EVERYONE BUY LOTS OF ASTRO BOY CRAP! XD

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Oh DVD/Blu Ray/soundtrack/vid game sales will definitely have an impact. Hot Toys has a couple of beautiful looking figures coming out too.

What I'm curious about is if they'll note the effect the movie has on the franchise in general. I may be outside the norm, but personally I'm collecting all three of the previous series (60's, 80's, 2003) because of these movies. So I hope that counts.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Astro Boy world wide total 1st weekend $11,587,281

Production budget: 65 million.

Breakdown of review grades...

As: 86 66.7%
Bs: 22 17.1%
Cs: 5 3.9%
Ds: 4 3.1%
Fs: 12 9.3%

According to industry estimates, since opening on Friday (October 23) on approximately 1,100 screens across China, Astro Boy has recorded approximately RMB40 million in box office receipts, topping the weekend box office chart and setting a new mark for the opening weekend box office of a CG-animated feature film in the Mainland. That record was previously held by Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs with an opening gross of RMB30 million.

So it seems Astro is doing quite well in the foreign markets. I bet Imagi will get back its 65 million investment, perhaps building a nice war chest for other concept movies in the works.

I would make them one suggestion though....forget Gatchaman, that product is a failure in the making.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

You never know about Gatchaman. Some people said the same thing about Astro Boy.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Good news on the China front. I'm looking forward to when these box office sites get some International numbers in to seeing just where we stand. I really hope they decide to make some more Astro Boy sequels.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

We must have Astro Boy sequels! I will loose all faith in Hollywood if Astro Boy can't get a sequel but DRAGON BALL can! ><

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Gatchaman sad to say is rather dated.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

Gatchaman is going to only appeal to overseas markets, or a pocket demographic of older english fans (something the harsher critics have said about Astro Boy, if not for the various generational reboots). I've noticed there's a lot more internet attention going to T28, but they're probably too far into the Gatchaman movie to stop now.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”