What made you become a fan of Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
TobyTenmaFan
Kokoro Robot

Postby TobyTenmaFan » 14 years ago

I went to see the new movie recently. I had seen a few episodes of the old anime because my dad loved it and we had a few videos. I kind of subconciously knew there were two versions of the anime, but as a child, I was confused by the concept. After seeing the anime, I was hooked. I keep trying to find the anime online, but I can't seem to find it, and youtube doesn't help because it never has all of them. XP I'm probably going to ask for some DVDs for Christmas. My dad has a few, but I don't know which ones they are, and I think they're the old series. I kinda want the newer series more, although the old series will definately be good, too. No doubt.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I became a fan when the Manga was translated in 2003. I had hard of Astro Boy before. (though in reality, I first heard his name in a Calvin and Hobbes when I was little and thought they actually just made up the name XD) But my Dad told me it was a series when he was a kid. I thought little of it until I found the Manga at a bookstore. It mentioned on the back that it was the title and it's creator were a major inspiration to modern anime/manga and since I had just become a big fan of anime/manga I decided I should look a this. And thus, I was hooked. Not only was it one of the view Mangas I could follow because unlike most modern Manga, it was simplisticly designed and not over the top, but Astro as a character just had me hooked for more.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

When I was two or three, maybe even younger, I'd watched the Canadian dub version on STV/Global. That was back when my parents both worked at the local station and it still ran children's material. After that, I never really put much thought to Astro whenever I had the chance to see him. Like Dragonrider, I got the reference in Calvin & Hobbes, and thought they just made up the name.

I remember finding the manga at a public library when I was thirteen. I had decided to check out the series before I started making fun of it, and for a more selfish reason, I was making a comic about child robots at the time and wanted to make sure I wasn't unknowingly ripping Astro Boy off. But from there, I was incredibly enthralled in the series...I ordered all the manga books that the library had (and all nineteen came in at once) and I read them all over two weeks. I bought the "Greatest Astro Adventures" DVD during my summer vacation in Ontario, thus introducing my younger brother to Astro Boy as well.

I saw the 1980's series on sale at CD Plus - freshly-released at the time, September 2006, and I remember this because my father was in the hospital for a crushed thumb - and telling my mother about it. It was $42, but she misheard me and thought I said it was "for two dollars". She urged me to buy it, and I did so, thinking she'd wanted it for herself. A month or so later, I started watching the 2003 series online, and that led to a huge crush on Tenma...
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

Mega Man. I was starting to enjoy Mega Man after a small conversation about Tezuka's work and Astro Boy, and then I started reaching out from Mega Man to the cute lil' guy's inspiration: Astro.

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

"Meeshell" wrote:ive been watching it since I was real young
cos dad introduced it to me and back then id watch any kids show lol
growing up i never really lost my like for the show, no real reason, i just do

Ditto on that. My dad brought me into astroboy. He too watched it when he was a kid. I've never forgotten Astro.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

first heard his name in a Calvin and Hobbes when I was little and thought they actually just made up the name

Laughter....wasn't that school picture strip hillarious?!

"You know who you look like? ASTRO BOY!"

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Yes, it was! :lol:

TobyTenmaFan
Kokoro Robot

Postby TobyTenmaFan » 14 years ago

Hmm...I don't think I've seen that strip (been a fan of Calvin and Hobbes for a while; love it, not as much as Astro Boy, though, although I've only recently gotten into that). I'll try to find it in one of my collection books.

EDIT:

FOUND IT! ROFL HE DOES LOOK LIKE ASTRO BOY!!!!!!
Last edited by TobyTenmaFan on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 14 years ago

I became a fan when I was 13, while doing a search for books in my English class. Well, not THAT sudden, but I found an Astro Boy manga online, then went to buy it later that week. Read the beginning of it while standing up inside Borders, I got hooked. A week or so later, I ended up buying the next three. Sadly, after that, the manga went out of print (BOO. >:[ ) later on, I started watching the 2003 series online in Japanese. I guess things just went from there.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

As for me, I watched the B&W series on TV long ago. I had forgotten about it until browsing a site called Yesterdayland.com, & I rediscovered it. Somehow I found Shawn Kleckner on eBay, & I bought the available VHS tapes. I do not remember how I found this forum, though. :ninja:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”