The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

I encoded the AVI with the VFW version of x264, because VirtualDubMod doesn't like the standard (and enormously superior) x264.exe. PS3 only plays x264 if it is coded with the standard version. I could encode from the command line with x264.exe, but it has problems with AVI (this can theoretically be fixed, though). MP4 works fine with it, and PS3 plays MP4s, but it won't let me mux in the AC3 audio from the DVD for some reason. This might just be due to stupid programming and not a limitation of the format. MP4 also supports independent subtitle tracks, so if I try to make a PS3 version again, it'll probably be in MP4 format if I can figure out the AC3 issue.

[EDIT]

Also, DF did count my downloads, it just delayed an unreasonable amount of time. I suppose I'll continue using it in the future.

[EDIT PART II: THE REVENGE]

Apparently, it was just shoddy coding and MP4 does support AC3 audio. I'm going to work out a method to encode with the best possible video and audio now. *hugs MP4 for being the PS3 equivalent of MKV*
Last edited by Bad Username on Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Ahhh good stuff - hopefully the new encode will work out better. =)

Oddly enough, this first "final" is still not the natural aspect ratio for me (on multiple media players) - not sure why. So essentially it looks a lot like the last version. At any rate, hopefully the MP4 version'll work on all platforms. =)

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

That's weird. I specifically made sure it would be encoded in 16:9 (pixel aspect ratio is 32:27), and it plays fine for me in Media Player Classic.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Hmm...odd. I can get it to play fine, of course, but only overriding aspect ratio. If I look at the details (right click and Properties) it's showing a resolution of 720 x 480, whereas I think the correct aspect should be 852 x 480. VLC seems to handle it correctly but still reports the 720 res. No big deal either way as it still looks great and is easily fixed, but I'm not sure why we're seeing it differently.

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kirben » 14 years ago

Anyone else find this whole project wrong? you state fansubs, but this seems more like piracy. You don't seem to be translating anything at all, just ripping parts of the Japanese and Korean DVD releases, which you don't seem to own. And even asking for donations for this?

If you really want to translate the 2003 series, why not just provide original English subtitle scripts (not from the Korean set) for the Japanese DVDs instead? so people will support the owners, by buying the Japanese DVDs.
Last edited by Kirben on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

"Kirben" wrote:Anyone else find this whole project wrong? you state fansubs, but this seems more like piracy. You don't seem to be translating anything at all, just ripping parts of the Japanese and Korean DVD releases, which you don't seem to own. And even asking for donations for this? If you really want to translate the 2003 series, why not just provide original English subtitle scripts (not from the Korean set) for the Japanese DVDs instead? so people will support the owners, by buying the Japanese DVDs.

Respectfully, many of your assumptions are I feel incorrect, and I'd like to share my logic here. Firstly, though I'm not running the project, I've said from the beginning personally I encourage people to buy the US release of the show (which I do own on DVD, though quite frankly, it's available on both Hulu and YouTube for free as is).

The Korean set is incomplete and only has the first 24 episodes minus no. 20 (so 23 total). There *are* things being translated, even for that (intro/ending/certain additions or corrections) and the last 27 or so episodes will need to be for the most part translated from the beginning - very rough/poor English subs exist on bootlegs but will need completely reworked. I do own the Korean release, actually, and it is out of print and extremely rare at this point to the point of being virtually unavailable (I got lucky and also paid a pretty hefty premium to get my hands on this copy). I don't own the Japanese DVD's as there would be no point, frankly, since there aren't any English subs. Though I know Bad Username is buying them for this project. Also, I don't want to speak for B_U, but nobody's forced to make a donation - it's strictly voluntary.

I suppose subtitle scripts would be an option, but there are several problems with this IMO. A) People would need to know how to use the script file and B) A lot of people don't know how to get past the region encoding on foreign DVD's, which won't play on most US DVD players or PC DVD drives without special software.

If the companies involved would do a proper US release (which I certainly encourage and support), none of this would be a problem of course. As it stands, though, that's not the case. Just my two cents. I can see where you're coming from, but I just don't see it that way.
Last edited by sgupta on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

"sgupta" wrote:Respectfully, many of your assumptions are I feel incorrect, and I'd like to share my logic here. Firstly, though I'm not running the project, I've said from the beginning personally I encourage people to buy the US release of the show (which I do own on DVD, though quite frankly, it's available on both Hulu and YouTube for free as is).

The videos on Hulu and YouTube are actually region restricted, so USA only I expect.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy the English DVD releases, since that means specifically supporting an edited English only DVD release.

"sgupta" wrote:The Korean set is incomplete and only has the first 24 episodes minus no. 23 (so 23 total). There *are* things being translated, even for that (intro/ending/certain additions or corrections) and the last 27 or so episodes will need to be for the most part translated from the beginning - very rough/poor English subs exist on bootlegs but will need completely reworked. I do own the Korean release, actually, and it is out of print and extremely rare at this point to the point of being virtually unavailable (I got lucky and also paid a pretty hefty premium to get my hands on this copy). I don't own the Japanese DVD's as there would be no point, frankly, since there aren't any English subs. Though I know Bad Username is buying them for this project. Also, I don't want to speak for B_U, but nobody's forced to make a donation - it's strictly voluntary.

I own the Korean DVD sets too, the subtitles really don't need any corrections for viewing. Subtitles for opening/ending sequences in anime series aren't always provided on DVD releases, and those are minor additions at best.

A DVD release been out of print, still doesn't mean you can provide its contents to anyone/everyone for free.

It doesn't sound like Bad Username owns any Japanese DVD releases or plans to handle the translating of further episodes, judging by previous posts. With Japanese DVD rips via torrents been mentioned, and looking for translator for further episodes.

"sgupta" wrote:I suppose subtitle scripts would be an option, but there are several problems with this IMO. A) People would need to know how to use the script file and B) A lot of people don't know how to get past the region encoding on foreign DVD's, which won't play on most US DVD players or PC DVD drives without special software.

And the exact same could be said for downloading and watching fansubs via the internet. Most DVD players can be unlocked, to be region free.

Buying the Japanese DVDs, means the producers are still been paid for their work.

"sgupta" wrote:If the companies involved would do a proper US release (which I certainly encourage and support), none of this would be a problem of course. As it stands, though, that's not the case. Just my two cents. I can see where you're coming from, but I just don't see it that way.

Except the Korean DVD releases provided the first half of the series uncut, and with English subtitles, for a long time. If you have access to the internet, you have access to a worldwide market.

Fansubs are usually only provided for unlicensed anime, or anime where no uncut versions was ever available. With Japanese DVD releases been used, if they were purchased by the fansubbers.

While this is still a case of providing video (from Japanese DVDs) and subtitles (from Korean DVDs) for free, for the first half of the series. Without any money going to the producers of the Korean DVD releases, or the series.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. (As always, if the mods deem anything I've shared inappropriate, by all means remove the links, though I still feel this is appropriate personally).

Re B_U, he had said he owns the first volume of the Japanese DVD for this project, and my understanding was he was over time going to get the rest legitimately.

Yes, the Internet is a worldwide market, but the Korean DVD's are still almost impossible to find even with that - I'm sure there is a copy or two floating out there somewhere that true collectors will still want. And for the last 27 or so episodes, no uncut version w/ English subs (if you don't count bootlegs) has been made available.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Sorry, but some of us have no ways of getting these legally.

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Sorry, but some of us have no ways of getting these legally.

You could try to locate the Korean DVD releases in second hand market online, just a matter of finding the items, at a price you are willing to pay.

Although I wonder why older members of the forums, didn't import the Korean DVD sets, if they really wanted these. Since the Korean DVD releases were available for a long time in the past, and mentioned in these forums many times.

So far this project seems more about making an uncut version available for free, using the existing copyrighted works. While I offered alternative idea of original subtitle scripts only, so producers could still be supported, by people buying the Japanese DVDs.
Last edited by Kirben on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”