Thoughts on a new Astro cartoon

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Thoughts on a new Astro cartoon

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

Honestly as good as all the Astro cartoons have been so far I'd like my own crack at it. I'd just need to learn Japanese... maybe.

See I'd like to do a sort of hybrid of the old and the new, the light and the dark. The evil Tenma was cool and creepy, and there's lots I could do with the characters. I liked the whole impending robot-human war and the various racism bits towards robots. Also liked the kokoro, though I would like Tenma to be more obviously credited with its invention.

At the same time I would like to have some lighter stuff too, like the various accidents Astro caused in the 80's series due to being unable to control his powers initially.

Honestly one of the best formatted superhero shows I've ever seen has been Teen Titans because despite having dark story arcs like Robin's inherent Gotham-style nature being exploited by Deathstroke, or Raven's demon connections leading to an impending apocalypse, they would still alternate between darker, more serious episodes and lighter, more comical episodes. In the latter they'd switch to the kids being more or less normal teenagers.

That's what I'd like to do with Astro Boy. Have episodes with the darker, more serious tones of the 2003 dub, and have others with some of the slightly lighter and warmer tones of the jap 2003 and 80's series. I know how I could make it work and have even stickler's for the 80's series or japanese versions like it. ;)

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Nice thoughts. Your version could be interesting.

For my part, I'd love to see a TV version of the movie. Nickelodeon did that with Jimmy Neutron - a movie first, then a series - and I think Astro Boy would make a great series, as long as it was handled as a drama first, comedy second, and if the animation and writing quality could be maintained.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I also do agree the series could've used some lighter tones as well. I've often thought it's only problem is that it took itself a little TOO seriously at times. I mean, did we see a single Hyoutantsugi through that entire series? I know I didn't see one. If animes like Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach can get cartoony and silly, Astro Boy should've too

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

In the versions written by Tezuka himself, Tenma is initially evil, that is after going nuts about Tobio's death (Ambassador Atom). Yet, by the time of THE EGYPTIAN CONSPIRATORS, Tenma has realized his error, and not only helps Atom, but counsels Cleopatra to defy her creator, Baribari, who wants her to deceive the people so he can gain power. There are about 6 or 7 stories in the manga & B&W series that have Tenma as either an ally or enemy; never neutral.

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:I also do agree the series could've used some lighter tones as well. I've often thought it's only problem is that it took itself a little TOO seriously at times. I mean, did we see a single Hyoutantsugi through that entire series? I know I didn't see one. If animes like Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach can get cartoony and silly, Astro Boy should've too

What's a Hyoutantsugi?

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"MegaAstroFan75" wrote:[QUOTE=Dragonrider1227;95388]I also do agree the series could've used some lighter tones as well. I've often thought it's only problem is that it took itself a little TOO seriously at times. I mean, did we see a single Hyoutantsugi through that entire series? I know I didn't see one. If animes like Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach can get cartoony and silly, Astro Boy should've too

What's a Hyoutantsugi?[/QUOTE]

I think it's that weird gourd creature that Tezuka used to randomly draw into his manga as comic relief.

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

That'd be kind of a fun episode to do. Sort of like the episode with Nosyarg kcid a.k.a. Larry from Teen Titans. That was a funny one. Some irony here I just noticed is the guy who voiced Robin in Teen Titans also did voice work in Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was the replacement for Astro Boy 2003's time slot on 4Kids.

At any rate I'm inspired I think. If anyone else has ideas for what they'd like to see a new Astro cartoon right 'em down here.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

This--> :hyo: <-- is Hyoutantsugi. :p irate:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Meet Hyoutantsugi

Dragara
Metro City Citizen

Postby Dragara » 14 years ago

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:Nice thoughts. Your version could be interesting.

For my part, I'd love to see a TV version of the movie. Nickelodeon did that with Jimmy Neutron - a movie first, then a series - and I think Astro Boy would make a great series, as long as it was handled as a drama first, comedy second, and if the animation and writing quality could be maintained.

I agree. I would personally love to see a new TV series as well, especially if it was based on the movie. But the thing is, according to what I've seen, nearly ALL TV shows based on movies (and often movies based on TV shows, excluding the Astro Boy movie) turn out crap. I mean, some of them were very good, like Jimmy Neutron. But most all the others (Penguins of Madagascar, Out of Jimmy's Head (Of course, that movie was sucky too)) just weren't that good. :/ I agree that Astro Boy would make another really good TV series if they kept the animation and writing quality. That's what really killed Penguins of Madagascar for me. Everything just stepped back in appearance, and the plots just... Not so good. TT_TT

And I also agree that the series shouldn't just be a flat-out comedy or uber-serious. There needs to be a happy medium. I personally love the way they handeled Teen Titans: Each season has an overall, serious story arc, with a few funny episodes in-between. That kept everything in balance. The serious stuff keeps us on the edge of our seats, wondering what Slade has done this time, and how the Titans are gonna beat him. Then, once that's over, we get to relax and ROFL at Larry completely breaking reality, causing poor BB to lose his mouth, then put it on backwards, among other things (I freaking love that episode XD).

This is just random, but something that would be hilarious is to see 3D Astro get really mad at Uran, then all of a sudden go all chibi on her! :D I know that wouldn't be fitting of the movie's style or whatever, but it would still be funny. XD
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Like art? Fantasy art? Wolf art? Astro Boy art? Inuyasha art? Pokemon art? FAN ART? Vist my DA!

http://www.dragara.deviantart.com/
------------------------------------------------

... No, kitty! This is my pot pie!

XD XD XD XD XD

------------------------------------------------

Sir, we're not putting something that dangerous into something... that dangerous! ~Dr. Tenma, Astro Boy (2009 film)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”