2009 movie on DVD

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

2009 movie on DVD

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

CD Japan just now informed me of 2 versions of this film, both have English: Dolby Digital 5.1ch Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1ch. one release has but 1 disc & nothing else. However, the other has 4 discs & plenty of extras:

Premium Box set includes bonus disc with character design & art, virtual tour "Welcome to Metro City" with Freddie Highmore, voice cast interview, unreleased scene, "Let's be ATOM!," image gallery, and anecdote about remaking characters plus microSD features the film, motion manga "Atomu Tanjo" originally written by Osamu Tezuka, over 80-page setting guide, ATOM design drawing, bookmark, CD-ROM with storyboard, and silk screen postcard.

it is expensive, though. :p

single disc version

4 disc version

:astro:

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:CD Japan just now informed me of 2 versions of this film, both have English: Dolby Digital 5.1ch Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1ch. one release has but 1 disc & nothing else. However, the other has 4 discs & plenty of extras:

Premium Box set includes bonus disc with character design & art, virtual tour "Welcome to Metro City" with Freddie Highmore, voice cast interview, unreleased scene, "Let's be ATOM!," image gallery, and anecdote about remaking characters plus microSD features the film, motion manga "Atomu Tanjo" originally written by Osamu Tezuka, over 80-page setting guide, ATOM design drawing, bookmark, CD-ROM with storyboard, and silk screen postcard.

it is expensive, though. :p

single disc version

4 disc version

:astro:

Well, I wonder if the U.S. version that will be coming out next March will have any extras? I was interested in the DVD, not the Blu-Ray (I don't have a Blu-Ray player).

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

"CD Japan just now informed me of 2 versions of this film, both have English: Dolby Digital 5.1ch Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1ch."

It having both English and Japanese caught my attention (I am curious what the Japanese version is like), but sadly it says none next to subtitles. Maybe the domestic release will have different audio language options. :)

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

WooHoo! I'm trying to talk myself into a BluRay player since they're starting to release the new Doctor Who on the format now, and this news definitely helps convince me. ^.^

I hope they do the movie justice and give lots of extras, etc. on both the DVD and BluRay sets.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"sgupta" wrote:WooHoo! I'm trying to talk myself into a BluRay player since they're starting to release the new Doctor Who on the format now, and this news definitely helps convince me. ^.^

I hope they do the movie justice and give lots of extras, etc. on both the DVD and BluRay sets.

I do too. I'd like extra features that talk about the film's development, including the character design choices (which were excellent, IMO; ALL of the movie's characters are very appealing, unlike the characters in other CGI movies, many of which look like they're made out of plastic and are frankly pretty unpleasant-looking), and interviews with the voice actors, and background on the Astro Boy manga and anime, and the original 1960's theme song should definitely be in there somewhere. And I'd like more about Astro and Cora. I think they're a very interesting - and very cute - couple. And also a good profile of the God of Manga. Hey, if all of the above were included in a DVD, I'd probably buy it - no matter what the price!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"animegirlalways" wrote:"CD Japan just now informed me of 2 versions of this film, both have English: Dolby Digital 5.1ch Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1ch."

It having both English and Japanese caught my attention (I am curious what the Japanese version is like), but sadly it says none next to subtitles. Maybe the domestic release will have different audio language options. :)

Those are audio options. I suppose you really meant "subtitle options." :ninja:

Anyway, I do not know about the audio on the extras, except that interviews with the English voice actors should be in English. I presume the other extras are in Japanese; it is too bad, because I would not expect any region 1 English release to have anywhere near this amount of extras, as Atom is far more popular in Japan than in America. :astro:

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=animegirlalways;95219]"CD Japan just now informed me of 2 versions of this film, both have English: Dolby Digital 5.1ch Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1ch."

Those are audio options. I suppose you really meant "subtitle options." :ninja:

Anyway, I do not know about the audio on the extras, except that interviews with the English voice actors should be in English. I presume the other extras are in Japanese; it is too bad, because I would not expect any region 1 English release to have anywhere near this amount of extras, as Atom is far more popular in Japan than in America. :astro: [/QUOTE]

My experience with domestic (anime) releases is that if they have the Japanese language option, then they have translation subtitles to go with the Japanese audio. That's why I only mentioned audio options for the domestic release (its imports that I always have to make sure have English subtitles). :)

I have a feeling the domestic DVD release of the movie will only have English audio, but until its official I will continue to hope it will have English/Japanese (with subtitles) options.

Of course, even if it only has English audio I will buy and love it!!! :heart: (Japanese would just be a bonus to me) :D

If they offered a version with only English as well as a version with English and Japanese with subtitles, then I would pay extra if they charged it for the dual language version. :ninja:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:35 am, edited 10 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

The Blu-ray will also be available:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KEXF-10200 for about $50.

But even it, lacks any subtitles. It does offer extras, though; including voice actor interviews with Freddie H. I suppose those would be in English w/ J-- Subs.

:ninja:

Dr. Tenma
Kokoro Robot

Postby Dr. Tenma » 14 years ago

Man, is that 4 disc set tempting. I'm almost tempted to cave and purchase a Region 2 DVD player now, but that and the set would be the cost of an animation cel! I just hope it did well enough here to warrant at least a few extras on a domestic release.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Hmmm...this set is pretty tempting indeed. I wonder if the special features are Japanese only?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”