a WEIRD what if question

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
HollowWings
Kokoro Robot

a WEIRD what if question

Postby HollowWings » 14 years ago

ok here is my weird question.

What if Astro's love, lets say Cora grew up be to a woman. What would Astro do??? He would have the body of a child forever, but with the mind of a grown up. Would they still be in love? What would Astro think? What would Cora think? Or would Cora find someone else???
Can Astro get married?

ok... this question is really distrubing, *shot*

yeah i come up with weird stuff when I'm REALLY BORED LOL

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

*Points at Cora.* You cradle robber!!!

Nah seriously that would look bad to the public.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

The 2003 series sort of touched on this, though didn't explore it. It's also one of my favourite episodes because it kept Astro's boyishness more intact in the dub than in any other episode of the dub, except for maybe the fairy one.

So yeah there's an episode where he develops a crush on this young woman who's at any astronaut academy in space and is going to fly a spacecraft to who knows where. Astro's new friend at the academy, a young man about the woman's age which is about 20-ish, also has a crush on her and a large chunk of the episode plays out like a Disney sitcom type plot, except with more depth and some action towards the end.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

I don't think Astro could ever get officially married to anyone, not just because he's a robot, but because he's a child, (or a tween - he's 13 in the movie), and he's going to stay that way. To my mind, the best scenario would be for him to find a companion who's also ageless. Now, in the movie, Astro is very human...he may very well have a human soul, thanks to the downloading of Toby's memories and the mysterious blue core...so to me, his attaching himself to a robot isn't very plausible. He's too human for that, and even if Dr. Tenma built another robot child, that child wouldn't have the core (even if Astro shared the power of the core, the core is his heart, perhaps his soul, and would have to remain with him, otherwise he wouldn't be Astro), and the movie implied that the core made all the difference in making Astro more than a very sophisticated robot.

So in my opinion, a scenario where Cora can't age either, through a specific malady I mentioned in another thread, in which the victim can't grow older (and which actually happened to a real-life little girl - here's the link to the story: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=7880954&page=1) would be the best hope for Astro to have a lifelong companion. I see him and Cora as being eternal children who have a crush on each other, but who would never act like an old married couple. This situation would be both a blessing and a curse...but then many romances have that quality... ;)

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

It depends how dark you want to go, really.

A lot of characters who end up living "too long" do tend to get jaded, because in the end, they're...well, fixed...and everything and everyone around them constantly changes/dies. The Doctor's (from Doctor Who) in the same predicament really - one of the reasons he only keeps a companion for short times is because he knows eventually, they'll either leave, die, or somehow get separated, and it breaks his hearts. (That's kind of why I think Astro would make a great companion for him - Astro'd help keep the Doctor on track and Astro would always have someone there for 'im). Since Astro thinks like a human, and has the emotions of a child, I tend to think no matter how much he fought it, this could and would eventually happen to him too.

Sticking to an Astro Boy only universe tho', I think this is probably a big reason Ochanomizu made Astro a robot family - he knew then at the very least, he'd have these others to keep him anchored. But it still won't stop Astro from getting attached to humans and eventually dealing with death.

*SPOILER warning regarding 60's series*
It could also have something to do with why Tezuka ended the original animated series (I'm not sure about the manga) with Astro's death. It's possible he considered it a necessary ending for the character.

*SPOILER warning regarding GBA game Omega Factor*
Then there's the possibility, with another crossover (Phoenix), Astro gets the power to transcend time himself (with different rules than the Doctor or it wouldn't work; The Doctor can't go back on his own timeline). In this sense, he could always live in whatever moment he fancied.

Or, I suppose, alternatively, it would make an interesting story if Astro met a future version of himself that *was* jaded and the "young" Astro had to help refresh him.

Just some thoughts.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Nicky would have been perfect for him but alas, like most characters in the 1980's series, she got whacked.

I didn't like the 80's series just for that, too many let downs on the little pointy headed one.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:So in my opinion, a scenario where Cora can't age either, through a specific malady I mentioned in another thread, in which the victim can't grow older (and which actually happened to a real-life little girl - here's the link to the story: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=7880954&page=1) would be the best hope for Astro to have a lifelong companion. I see him and Cora as being eternal children who have a crush on each other, but who would never act like an old married couple. This situation would be both a blessing and a curse...but then many romances have that quality... ;)

Just because she's not physically aging or growing on the outside doesn't mean she's immortal. Stunted growth is nothing new, and mental conditions that keep the affected's mind at toddler level aren't that new either. That kid in the link will die at 70 to 90 years of age, just like anyone else.

Even if Cora had that condition she wouldn't be immortal and once she died, Astro would be alone. And not only that, but as a robot Astro is almost completely immortal as he can be repaired if too badly damaged.

HollowWings
Kokoro Robot

Postby HollowWings » 14 years ago

"MegaAstroFan75" wrote:The 2003 series sort of touched on this, though didn't explore it. It's also one of my favourite episodes because it kept Astro's boyishness more intact in the dub than in any other episode of the dub, except for maybe the fairy one.

So yeah there's an episode where he develops a crush on this young woman who's at any astronaut academy in space and is going to fly a spacecraft to who knows where. Astro's new friend at the academy, a young man about the woman's age which is about 20-ish, also has a crush on her and a large chunk of the episode plays out like a Disney sitcom type plot, except with more depth and some action towards the end.

haha I LOVE that episode! He's so cute when he's in love LOL!

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Me Too! ^^ It's one of my favorites.
But anyway, as for the topic, I had the same questions in mind. I kinda figured if he could mentally grow but not physically, then that would make him like Midgets in real life. Short but adults so I could probably work. Some people would look down upon it, but I think some would anyway since he's a robot

Dr. Tenma
Kokoro Robot

Postby Dr. Tenma » 14 years ago

Heheheh, I can see Astro a few thousand years in the future as each friend group of his dies off.

"Astro! How many times do I have to tell you to pick up after yourself?"

"Give me a break! Sheesh! You're as naggy as my thirtyfirst wife!"

:P

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”