That rotten Disney!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

That rotten Disney!

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

I just learned that Princess and the Frog is coming out on DVD the same day the Astro Boy one does. That sucks - I hope it doesn't hurt AB's DVD sales!

I didn't care for Princess/Frog. It was pretty poor Disney IMO, nowhere near as good as The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast (and of course isn't even in the same pantheon as Snow White or Pinocchio or Lady and the Tramp). If Princess/Frog is indicative of future Disney 2D animation projects, I'll save my money and stay home.

And there was no WAY it was anywhere near as good as Astro Boy. Heck, Astro Boy was more in the Disney spirit than Princess/Frog in my opinion. I used to watch Disney films and really care about the characters. I liked Tiana in Princess/Frog, but somehow I really didn't care much whether or not she achieved her goal. But boy...did I care about Astro! He's the first cartoon character I've felt like shedding a tear over in a LONG time.

Princess/Frog had better NOT hurt Astro...or I'm going to go on a frog hunt...or set a mouse trap. ;)

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

I love Astro although I'll probably be stuck buying both since I have a kid that likes both lol.

I for one watch newer disney films...that don't bother killing the plot with pointless singing. Although I do believe if the world was able to break into song perhaps the world might be a better place. But nope...Thank you so much for killing the brothers grim tale of princess frog *Bows to Disney.*

P.S: It wasn't that bad of a movie...I just didn't like the singing.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

I didn't like Snow White much, it was too much music and too little anything. Literally half the movie must've been taken up by the 'Hi Ho' number. Sleeping Beauty was better, but my favourite Disney movies are from Oliver and Company to Tarzan. The best were easily Mulan, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Tarzan due to their darker and more serious atmospheres (plus Phil Collins doing the songs for Tarzan).

I haven't seen Princess and the Frog, and may or may not. From what I've seen and heard it's definitely not up to par with anything pre-Tarzan (or Brother Bear which was also very good). However it seems to be a step back in the right direction after the Shrek-styled flicks of the past eight years with repetitive goofy CGI animation and thin plots oversaturated with pop-culture jokes and self-satire. Shrek and Shrek 2 were good, Emperor's New Groove was good (I know the former are Universal Studios, not Disney), but those were fresh and funny. Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little and Home on the Range were all pushing it too far, repeating the same formula that got tired and stupid after a while.

I'm sorry, this is supposed to be Astro Boy discussion, not ranting on Disney's muck ups over the last eight years.

Um, well Astro Boy's sales are hurt anywhere outside of Japan for... well being outside of Japan. For some reason the Western world doesn't really seem to like the concept of boy android superheroes much, because Mega Man Classic tends to receive similar treatment to Astro Boy, though not as bad. Well Mega Man in general, with the Battle Network anime NT Warrior only making it to series two due to dropping ratings and sloppy organization on the dubbing.

I'm sorry, I keep stumbling onto rants.

Yes, Princess and the Frog will probably affect Astro's DVD sales. It's sad, but it's true. Still, just like Princess and the Frog, the Astro Boy movie is a tentative step in the right direction so the future looks bright for both I think.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Hey! Princess and The Frog was awesome! Freakin' AWESOME!
That said, Princess and the Frog might hurt a little, but the funny thing about DVDs is that sales don't have to be instant. After they've gone and bought Frog, people can go back the following week and pick up Astro.
Although, I see lots of people buying Frog and renting Astro Boy now and then later if they like it buying Astro.
PS. MUSICALS FTW!!
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JumpJump
Kokoro Robot

Postby JumpJump » 14 years ago

haha! As a 2D animator, I personally fell in love with Princess and the Frog. I thought it was beautifully done! <3 I even have the soundtrack. (; I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for disney's animated films, though.

We'll be buying both for sure, on this end. (:

ffff I can't believe Princess and the Frog is coming out so soon!

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Yeah, and now that I think about it, PatF might not hurt Astro too much...because there's no way any American boy is going to choose "Princess" over "Astro Boy". The Frog and the Robot will probably split the take from consumers.

As for Frog, I liked Tiana and the song "Almost There" a lot, and I liked Ray...but everything else pretty much left me cold. It was too by-the-numbers for my taste.

Interestingly, in its own way, PatF is also a box office disappointment...not a dud, but a disappointment. Maybe that's why it's coming out on DVD so soon...

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

I did not get the chance to see Princess and the Frog in theatres :( , though I did make time to see Astro Boy twice in theatres :w00t: .
I plan to buy both when they come out on DVD, because I collect the animated Disney movies. I probably wont buy the special edition of PatF though (depends on the extra features), but I will definitely get the special edition of AB if there is one. :cool:
:astro:

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

You know I was thinking...and I really gotta knock on wood here *Knocks.* what if Astro Boy was sold only at toys'R'Us like the toys were. That could also hurt sales.
Last edited by Nora on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I find that highly unlikely XD
Alright, I propose that anyone here who works at a Wal-Mart or a Target or a whatever with an electronics section with TVs should get those tvs to play Astro Boy ;)

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:I find that highly unlikely XD
Alright, I propose that anyone here who works at a Wal-Mart or a Target or a whatever with an electronics section with TVs should get those tvs to play Astro Boy ;)

Oh yeah that would be neat...home theater system while watching the best movie :D Such a neat idea.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”