Astro Boy the movie..Video game is it worth it?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Astro Boy the movie..Video game is it worth it?

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

Hello, there it's been ages since i last went to the forums.

I have switched to more darker and different stories of Tezuka the last year such as MW and Buddha, but i didn't forgot the little robot. :)

Anyway a few days ago when i visited a game store for a odd reason i found Astro boy the movie the video game.

( Btw the movie was never released here in theaters, the entire time i tried to avoid spoilers was left in vain, the movie isn't out on Dvd here either but for some reason the Psp game got out this month )

My quistion is this game worth the money? I have this feelings that this won't be anything like Omega Factor and seeing how most games based on movies are..bad i wanted to make sure i don't make a mistake.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Dragara
Metro City Citizen

Postby Dragara » 14 years ago

Oh, don't get me started on that game. It infuriates me. I know that most movie-based video games are pretty bad, but come on... This was flat-out horrible. DX

Graphics: HORRIBLE. They look like PS1 character models or something like that. Just... Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Basically a HUGE step backwards. It makes me angry that such a great-looking movie would have such crappy graphics for the video game. TT_TT

Lip-Synching: Practically nonexistent. They just randomly move their mouths with speech coming from nowhere.

Story: Basically just the typical slightly different version of the movie's story. Not neccessarily a bad thing since I thought the movie's story was really good.

Gameplay: Pretty much typical gameplay. Nothing too special to me. Basic controls, pretty basic actions, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was fun, but nothing really different.

Music: Great soundtrack, but they play several of the same songs for several different levels.

Game Time: One word: SHORT. I beat this in a couple of days, but that's because I got it for Christmas and there was not only other things to tinker with, but also places to go and people to visit. I'm fairly sure that if I got it out again and replayed it with no distractions, I could probably beat it in a matter of hours. Of course, this isn't always a bad thing. I sometimes like really short games because... Well, they don't take forever to beat like Kingdom Hearts and .hack//G.U. They're fun to play when you have some spare time.

Voice Acting: THEY ONLY GOT TWO VOICE ACTORS FROM THE MOVIE. Astro and Cora. Sure they were the two most important, but still... SURELY they could've gotten some others as well? And even with Freddie and Kristen, the voice acting wasn't that good. I found it boring. It often didn't quite fit with the characters' actions either.

Arena: I haven't tried this out yet. You basically get to fight with Astro against various opponents in Hammegg's Robot Games.

Co-Op: Another I haven't tried out because no one I live with really likes to play video games.

Other: They took out Zane. That just bothered me for some reason. :/

OK, so overall, this game was a huge disappointment for me. It's not to say that you or anyone else wouldn't like it, but I didn't.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Like art? Fantasy art? Wolf art? Astro Boy art? Inuyasha art? Pokemon art? FAN ART? Vist my DA!

http://www.dragara.deviantart.com/
------------------------------------------------

... No, kitty! This is my pot pie!

XD XD XD XD XD

Sir, we're not putting something that dangerous into something... that dangerous! ~Dr. Tenma, Astro Boy (2009 film)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I'd recommend you rent it first and decide for yourself

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

Actually Hikari, the movie should be premiering in the Netherlands on February 17th. So don't worry; it's still on its way to you.

On the other hand, I rarely trust tie-in games, since the licenses are usually bought up by companies like EA, made quickly with reused engines, and set out for profit. The DS version in particular is best to be avoided...
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

I made the mistake of buying the DS version (which isn't even remotely the same game as the version for Wii and PS2) and it's quite terrible. You'd do yourself more of a favor picking up an old copy of Astro Boy: Omega Factor from 2003 - now *that* is a game that beats the pants off of this tie-in DS game!

Though I am still interested in playing the Wii/PS2 movie tie-in version at some point. At least it's gotta be better than the DS one, and I know some have enjoyed it moderately (though nobody says it's stellar).

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:Actually Hikari, the movie should be premiering in the Netherlands on February 17th. So don't worry; it's still on its way to you.

On the other hand, I rarely trust tie-in games, since the licenses are usually bought up by companies like EA, made quickly with reused engines, and set out for profit. The DS version in particular is best to be avoided...

Oh that is good news, it's still >>>>> me of, that it's taken so long. I hate it when some American movies take so long but others not :/

Anyway Dragara, you seem to know a thing or two about games,
i'm gonne to save my 40 euros , thanks for saving me money :D and seems that two people here are flat out saying the DS version is just terrible i'm going to stay away from that to. I only have hand-held consoles at the moment. So asking for the Wii / ps3 version is pointless.

So yeah not spending my money on that, will play Omega Factor for a 5th time again. Thanks guys.

Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?

http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/

Visit my DA account!

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 14 years ago

I know nothing at all about the game, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

If they would make Kimba and Princess Knight in CGI I would collect them all, plus any sequels that were made. I am definitely buying the DVD. I think I may even be getting it for a birthday or Christmas present, so I won't have to pay for it myself. :D

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Ah. If you only have handhelds then I'd recommend avoiding it. I know nothing about it, but movie games on handhelds are often horrible

Dragara
Metro City Citizen

Postby Dragara » 14 years ago

"Hikari Tail" wrote: Anyway Dragara, you seem to know a thing or two about games

Well, I'm definitely not an expert or anything like that. Just a fourteen-year-old girl who has played MANY games and knows what she likes and doesn't like in a game. And I also watch a lot of X-Play. XD
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Like art? Fantasy art? Wolf art? Astro Boy art? Inuyasha art? Pokemon art? FAN ART? Vist my DA!

http://www.dragara.deviantart.com/

... No, kitty! This is my pot pie!

XD XD XD XD XD

Sir, we're not putting something that dangerous into something... that dangerous! ~Dr. Tenma, Astro Boy (2009 film)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

X-PLAY FTW! :D
Did you see when they reviewed the anime PS2 game? Making fun of the fact that he was practically naked? XD
Anyway, I've been without cable for a while. Have they reviewed the movie game yet? What'd they say about it?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”