Astro Boy worldwide box office update

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"animegirlalways" wrote:If they do it right I wont mind either so I guess aliens could make a good sequel, especially since you are right there were episodes in the Astro Boy series that had aliens. :)

The first time I saw the movie though the sudden appearance of the weird looking alien just caught me so off guard and ruined the ending of the movie for me a little. Like I've said I still love the movie, right after seeing the movie I starting buying the TV series and saw the movie a second time in theaters. I also hope for a sequel and of course will buy the movie on blu-ray to add to my Astro Boy collection that's been growing since I first saw the movie. :heart:
:astro:

Oh dude I know what you mean, ever since watching the movie i've gone Astro crazy. I'm thinking of getting the Game Advance game and even some of the comics (not sure if to get the old ones or the movie style ones, they both look cool)

Been watching the 2003 anime on youtube too, but pondering if i should get the japanese rather than the english because of censor and dubbing issues. (plus might be handy if i ever make an amv on it)

o.o What else is in Astro boy collection? I just have the ps2 movie game, it's terrible ;_;

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Well, I agree you should get the Gameboy Advanced game. I don't think the PS2 one is horrible, but the GBA one runs circles around it.
If you're into toys, they made action figures and plushes for the movie at Toys R Us. They're even marked down now :D

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Second recommendation on the Game Boy Advance game Astro Boy: Omega Factor (which will also work on a DS Lite [but NOT DSi]). It's truly a remarkable game with fantastic gameplay, a truly epic story, and just...one of the best games I've ever played. It's just polished and you can tell a labor of love instead of just a tie-in game. Thumbs up!

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Update to UK box office for the past weekend:

11 £ 2 260 319 £ 86 799 652
The Lovely Bones
2 £ 1 203 251 £ 3 848 574 Paramount Pictures UK
The Princess and the Frog
5 £ 870 953 £ 9 985 495 Walt Disney
Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief
3 £ 853 859 £ 6 413 038 20th Century Fox
Valentine's Day
3 £ 822 366 £ 9 330 161 Warner Bros U.K.
A Single Man
3 £ 381 489 £ 1 950 350
Invictus
4 £ 292 899 £ 4 225 080 Warner Bros U.K.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel
10 £ 278 649 £ 23 492 082 20th Century Fox
Astro Boy
4 £ 238 845 £ 3 378 087
The Wolfman
3 £ 238 413 £ 4 799 454 Universal International Pictures
Solomon Kane
2 £ 215 632 £ 1 134 564 Entertainment Film Distributors Ltd
My Name Is Khan
3 £ 185 330 £ 2 316 393

Astro is still doing well in the UK. It's managed to stay on the top ten and is still making money. I think that, when DVD sales are factored in, there's a good chance the film will ultimately be profitable. That's good news for Imagi and us, the fans. :)

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

Yes get the Omega Factor game, you will love it.

Also English volumes of the manga can be find in almost any official website store, as well as the movie comics.

I also recommend the manga Metropoils and the movie version since that is the 'mother story' and orgin of what later on becomes Astro Boy. If you looking for a more realism story i suggest the seinen Manga Pluto it's not made by Tezuka but its a homage to all Astro Boy characters as Atom himself appears in the story its based on one of Tezuka's populaire Astro chapters: ''The strongest robot in the world. ''
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Been watching the 2003 anime on youtube too, but pondering if i should get the japanese rather than the english because of censor and dubbing issues. (plus might be handy if i ever make an amv on it)

The English version of the 2003 series is good (I own the DVD box set and is the first Astro Boy other than the movie I saw), but personally I prefer the Japanese because its uncut and the dialgue/script is better at times (I own a Japanese import version too). I love both versions and have watched each more than once, but I recommend seeing the Japanese uncut at least once if you don't mind subtitles. :)

If you want to watch the English episodes in the correct order, as they were on my import, I list the episodes in this thread: http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4862
:astro:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

gabriel
Kokoro Robot

Postby gabriel » 14 years ago

Hi Everybody, it's my first message here!
Box Office Mojo says the movie actually grossed 35 millions but it's wrong cause they don't report Chinese, Canadina and Japanese total ins. So it has surely grossed more than 35000000. I think Imagi has shut up too early causa there are still Dvd, Blue Ray rentals and sales and there also some countries where the movie hasn't still been performed (including Spain where i think it could do quite well).
Sorry for my bad English.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"gabriel" wrote:Hi Everybody, it's my first message here!
Box Office Mojo says the movie actually grossed 35 millions but it's wrong cause they don't report Chinese, Canadina and Japanese total ins. So it has surely grossed more than 35000000. I think Imagi has shut up too early causa there are still Dvd, Blue Ray rentals and sales and there also some countries where the movie hasn't still been performed (including Spain where i think it could do quite well).
Sorry for my bad English.

Welcome, gabriel! And thanks for the input about foreign box office. I agree about Mojo's figures - they do appear to be lacking. I'm going to try to keep up on the box-office numbers as the movie continues to premiere world-wide, but that might be difficult. As you pointed out, finding totals from some countries is pretty difficult, even when using the internet.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”