Pluto manga

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Pluto manga

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

Has anyone read it and what do you think of it?

Astro looks so much more like a boy then a robot. I'm rather amazed at the art and the color (On the first few pages that is)
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Shirubie
Kokoro Robot

Postby Shirubie » 14 years ago

I've read the whole manga on the net and I'll be buying the books when I have the money. It's an absolutely awesome manga. I love the character designs and the storytelling.

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

I've only got the first three books. I plan on getting another come payday lol. Those manga's are expensive...but so worth it.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

I too have read Pluto online (once I stayed up until 3 in the morning to finish an installment!) and I love it. The artist/writer really "gets" Astro, even though he's rendered him in a very different way than did Tezuka. My only quibble is this - why make robots that look so human, and act so human? What is the purpose? Only Astro's human appearance makes sense to me - he was built to actually replace a certain human being - but the rest of the human-like robots puzzle me. I would think it'd be kind of creepy to have robots around that you couldn't tell apart from real people, Astro being the exception ('cause he's cute).

If Astro were real, I'd like him to look like he did in the movie and various anime. I wouldn't want him to look as real as he does in Pluto. That kind of negates the cute factor for me...

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

I love how they did Uran though. She didn't look like Uran but she did look like a little girl. One thing that I haven't found out (cause I don't have number 4 yet is...uran...was she created by Elefun in this manga like the others?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I read the entire story online, & have volumes 1-7, though I have yet to read 6 & 7. I agree with Laughing Dragon that making robots physically indistinguishable from humans seems a bit strange, except that their creators would do it just to see if it was possible. Making them that human-like for commercial or consumer purposes does seem weird. Although there were scanners that could tell the difference, except in Atom's case, does little to reassure the public. Dick's novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Bladerunner) depicts a world in which the only androids are those that have escaped from bondage on other planets. Though they are physically similar to humans, they lack empathy. But humans would still fear them; hence, the android hunters.

Asimov's fiction (Caves of Steel), also had robots all but banned from earth; R. Daneel Olivaw, though he resembled a man, he lacked human-like behavior. In Naked Sun Earthmen feared robots, and had a "Frankenstein complex." There was a Ban on use of robots on inhabited worlds in the story Evidence. Bicentennial Man asked whether humans could have robots as friends.

Chobits makes Persocoms (robots) resemble humans but for their ears. I suppose that there are plenty of other stories that deal with this. I need to reread Pluto in its entirety to really get the whole picture, but it seems that there is clear discrimination against robots; there is plentiful precedent in Atom's stories for this. Tezuka used robots as metaphors for the lower classes of humans. I am still working on an Astroboy book, but it will be quite a while. :astro:

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

The one thing that I loved was Astros face when he was eating ice cream. Seriously what robot could possibly enjoy eating ice cream that much...or at all. (Or at least it looked like ice cream)

Some robots I figure do have the ability to eat human foods like astro did in the original, but I didn't realize they also had a sense of taste. Obviously Astro did in order to have enjoyed it so much. Tenma was a freakin genius to have invented Astro in such a way to have some of the most smallest things seem so important to me.

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

I enjoyed this manga, and I liked all of the small references to other works of Tezuka. And Astro still had the hair! :w00t: But the human forms of the bigger robots threw me off, but that made them feel more human.

I'm tempted to make a paper doll of this Astro too.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

"LLM" wrote:I enjoyed this manga, and I liked all of the small references to other works of Tezuka. And Astro still had the hair! :w00t: But the human forms of the bigger robots threw me off, but that made them feel more human.

I'm tempted to make a paper doll of this Astro too.

I'd love to see it :D

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

I checked up on some of the Pluto (Just some of the bits that featured Astro and Uran) I liked the fresh look of it, though it took some getting used to. Made it more human in a way, but i can't really consider it a Tezuka world. If they ever adapted it into a movie I seriously wouldn't like it =S Though that's just me.

Though if i'm honest yeah it's a manga people are gonna wuv, just not me lol ^_^;

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”