thoughts about the astro boy movie dvd

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

DITTO

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

I loved it -- thought they brought the whole concept up to date.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"avatargirl" wrote:Anyone here besides me thought the movie was perfect in how nice and caring they showed Astro Boy to be. I personally hope they make a sequel. Thanks

OH, me too. And I agree with you. Astro was a triumph in characterization. He's a believable little boy, a believable robot and a believable hero - one you root for, not because he's powerful, but because, as Cora said, he's a good guy. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the little talk he has with Hamegg when all the orphans go to bed. Astro's face is so appealing when he shows compassion for Hamegg's misfortune. That's what resonates most with this movie - it's not just the great animation, character design (which is much more appealing than most character design in CGI movies; I saw How To Train Your Dragon the other day, and while it's a fun movie, the character designs for the humans is pretty standard; in other words, they look like plastic dolls, and at times they're rather unpleasant), wonderful musical score, and virtuoso voice acting - it's the emotion. The movie is so emotionally satisfying and endearing without once getting sappy. Astro earns our affection honestly, by struggling through some pretty dark moments. It's the sort of feeling really good Disney films leave you with. In that regard, Astro Boy is right up there with Pinocchio, Bambi and the Lion King. I hope that someday the film will get the credit it is undoubtedly due from a wider audience. More people need to see this film, especially kids. It's a great antidote for all the meanness and cynicism too many kids shows seem to be infested with.
Last edited by Laughing Dragon on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabriel
Kokoro Robot

Postby gabriel » 14 years ago

I totally agree with you about Astro's great characterization. While re-watching the movie on DVD I noticed two things (be careful, there is a spoiler):
the sub-plot involving Cora's parents is silly. Why, when and how did she finish in the junkyard? Second thing there is a scene where Trash writes on earth "he's a robot" referring to Astro. While Astro is frightened Zane tells him he can't read. Some scenes after Zane writes Zgo instead of Zog on the giant robot breast. Cora and Astro signal this and Zane is embarassed. How is it possible if Zane can't read and cosnequently he shouldn't have been able to write something? Imho this is a blooper by the animators.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I totally agree with how they characterized Astro. I think it's the best approach to Astro's personality outside of the Manga.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Image
:p

OH MY GOD! :w00t:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”