Astro Boy: The Movie: The Graphic Novel + PREQUEL?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
King Porky
Kokoro Robot

Astro Boy: The Movie: The Graphic Novel + PREQUEL?

Postby King Porky » 14 years ago

I hadn't seen any topics about this subject, but i thought it was relevant so here we go.

Yesterday, me and a friend, who are both Astro fans, where in the graphic novel section of our local bookshop. We found a graphic novel version of the Astro Boy movie... Thats pretty ordinary, and the art didn't seem too bad either, although we did just quickly flick though.

But what we saw next to it completely blew our minds. Astro Boy: The Movie: The PREQUEL: The Graphic Novel.
Now, at first i was like "wait, how'd they make a prequel?" so we had a quick flick though, and low and behold our minds where even more blown than before.
Toby was nowhere to be seen, Astro was a robot... Infact, it was more like a sequel, rather than a PREQUEL, so we thought we read it wrong, but no, the title definately said prequel.
So we literally both sat looking at it going "O_________________O"

Has anyone else seen these graphic novels? Has anyone GOT them? Can anyone explain how the Prequel is a prequel?
I'll try to get some pics maybe, just hope i don't get kicked out the shop lol.
Now now darling,
Oh don't kill yourself,
Cause none of us were angels

:heart: And you know I love you yeah! :heart:
King Porky:- The party don't start 'til I walk in~
Tumblr/Sketch Blog/Twitter

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

I saw references to this on the movie adaptation (which I have), but never saw it in the store(s) -- thought I was misunderstanding something. So it really does exist.... ?

I WANT that!

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

I think you can get it on iTunes... I might get it, just need to see if it fits with my other manga expenses.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Yeah, you're not the only one who looked at that and wondered how it's a prequel. I also looked at it and wondered how it works in context of the movie. I mean, the story is about creatures living underground of Metro City right? Isn't Metro City um... a FLYING CITY? O_o

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

The graphic novel is owned by idw and if you can't find it where you life you can always get it online at idwpublishing.com. I go there all the time to get my transformers stuffs.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

AprilSeven
Silent Song

So -- Astro isn't in the prequel, right?

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Just wondering -- are these all events "around" Astro's story, or are some of the key characters seriously involved. I'm wondering if it's worth a read.

Wish they had a preview online (maybe someone knows of one?). One reason I'm investing in the Pluto manga series is because I was able to read it online and felt I wanted to own it. Samples are a GOOD THING (as Martha Stewart would say). :)

RAINE
Kokoro Robot

Postby RAINE » 14 years ago

Can't you order them online from borders? It's available online at borders.

[If you don't have borders, then IDK. I'm a West Coast person, so yeah...]

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

Oh those comics, I think the puplishers made a stupid mistake. It's not a prequel since Astro being a robot is pretty much labled in it so it has to be set after the movie, or maybe they didn't want to say that. Real strange o.O

I'm tempted to buy them, =D was it really cool?

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Oh those comics, I think the puplishers made a stupid mistake. It's not a prequel since Astro being a robot is pretty much labled in it so it has to be set after the movie, or maybe they didn't want to say that. Real strange o.O

I'm tempted to buy them, =D was it really cool?

I do agree. Its no prequel. Actually it involves events afterwards and yes it involves key characters from the movie except for Cora and the kids.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

UraniumxAtom
Metro City Citizen

Postby UraniumxAtom » 14 years ago

I've seen what you are talking about on ebay. lol I don't like the looks of the prequel version, but I am after the movie comics. :)
http://www.petitiononline.com/675489/petition.html[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2186&dateline=1273333429[/sigpic]
Click the link!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”