3 down..... 1 too many

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"sonicx137" wrote:what i meant was i cant show it in front of my brother. its not like i didn't try it though. the "wrong scene" i saw was in the first episode a circus robot who had no energy told astro to charge him........ the charge thing was in the robots rear end and i cant show my lil brother that. my family is also short on money at the moment so i cant buy it and i dont have a job i am only 14.

Rear ends aren't a big deal for kids. He'll probably just think it's funny.
And yes, the 60s series is on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/WingedMushroomOfDoom
This person even has the first episode in Japanese.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

You know, it's funny. I've only watched the pilot of the 60's so far and not other episodes, but I know the energy refilling scene you're talking about, and I remember distinctly thinking "Wow - they'd never get away with that in today's animation."

And then I started to think about why. Somewhere along the lines, it seems to me the culture (at least here in America) has turned things that used to be considered innocent and cute and funny and playful into something forbidden and taboo or even inappropriately sexual. And that makes me sad. I thought that was a really cute scene, and I think it would have been considered cute at the time, but is something people honestly feel almost a sense of shame about today because that's the cultural environment. Which really bothers me. (It's just an interesting thought to me if either of us would have felt that way back in the 60's when it aired, because my guess would be no.)

Anyways, you're not the only one who's watching all the series. I started with the movie, have watched the pilots to all 3, and now I'm starting with 2003 and working backwards (but slowly; probably over a few years - heh - had to take a hiatus for a few weeks because I'm so busy). Also going to read the manga soon!

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

"sgupta" wrote:Anyways, you're not the only one who's watching all the series. I started with the movie, have watched the pilots to all 3, and now I'm starting with 2003 and working backwards (but slowly; probably over a few years - heh - had to take a hiatus for a few weeks because I'm so busy). Also going to read the manga soon!

I'm watching them all too, finished the 1980s, 2003s, seen the movie and almost finished with the 1960s (about 10 left). Also buying the manga.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 14 years ago

Welcome back to the forums! I hope you have a wonderful time. Also, you have said that tis' your second time on these forums now.I wonder, do you remenber me? I have been less active over the past year or so.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”