Movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
the_real_astroboy
Kokoro Robot

Postby the_real_astroboy » 20 years ago

Hey everybody....astroboy rules...but, is there a movie coming out...I heard rumours but i am unsure. and another quick question...does anyone know where I can get any good astroboy t-shirts? thanks...

dennis_ian
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby dennis_ian » 20 years ago

does anyone know where I can get any good astroboy t-shirts? thanks

i would like to have one too!!!!! :wahah:

ozfiz
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ozfiz » 20 years ago

ebay always has a lot of astro shirts try there,

ozfiz
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ozfiz » 20 years ago

this is what i got off the yahoo movies site.. doesnt give us any information on when about its is going to be released tho.. but by the looks of it they are definatly planning it

Release Date: Unknown; that will depend upon when/if filming eventually gets started.

Release Date Note: (1/29/03) When Sony first announced this project in 1999, they had tentatively announced a release date in December, 2000... but delays in getting the project going *obviously* prevented that from happening. (3/29/03) "Variety" recently reported this film as being aimed for the fall of 2004, but they had to run a retraction a few days later.

Title Note: (1/29/03) Although the Japanese manga and anime imports are usually referred to as 'AstroBoy' (no space), everything I've seen from Sony lists this film's title as two separate words: 'Astro Boy.'

Type of Animation: (1/29/03) Originally reported to be a combination of live-action sets and actors and CGI (Computer Generated Imagery), Sony decided in 2002 to take the full plunge and make the film entirely CGI.

Based Upon: The long-running and popular Japanese manga (comic book) and TV anime (animation) series created by Osamu Tezuka (1928-1989). The original Japanese title of the Manga ("Tetsuwan Atom") translates to English as "Mighty Atom." The manga comic book was first published by Tezuka in 1951, which he continued to write and draw for another 20+ years. There were two "AstroBoy" TV shows: a 168-episode black and white series in the early/mid 1960s and a color series in the early 1980s. (3/21/03) There is a new "Tetsuwan Atom" TV series which will make its Japanese premiere there on April 6th, 2003. (5/6/03) That new Japanese TV series will air on the WB in the 2003-2004 season.

Premise: When his son dies, a scientist creates a powerful robot boy, Astro Boy, to be his replacement. Intended to be his own personal secret, Astro Boy ends up using his extraordinary abilities (flight via jet-powered boots, strength, invulnerability, lasers that shoot out of his fingers, super-hearing, etc.) to become a world-famous superhero. And the hero arrives in the spotlight just in time, as an evil alien race soon starts to invade Earth, with Astro Boy our only protection...

Filming: Animation preproduction and design has been going on for quite some time, but there is currently (3/29/03) no official word about when principal CGI production will get started.

8/10/03 - Talking to Comics2Film last month, producer Don Murphy expressed frustration about the state of this project at Sony. It looks like this movie is still a few years away from happening:

"First Sony was gonna make it live-action, then they didn't make it live-action because of 'A.I.' Now they spent the last year and half trying to make it [CG] animated... Of all the projects I have right now it's certainly the most frustrating. I can't tell you what's going on with it because I don't really understand what's going on with it at the moment. It was always Amy Pascal's favorite film. I happen to think whoever made that film would make a lot of money, it would be a big hit, and have a franchise. It's not even that hard. It's Pinocchio."

That may indeed be the problem, Mr. Murphy. People keep trying to make 'Pinocchio' movies, and they keep failing. Maybe Sony is feeling which way the marionette strings are yanking? I'm not absolutely excusing Sony from ditching what could be a fun, touching and visually spectacular movie, but I can sort of see their point. If 'Astro Boy' makes most people think 'Pinocchio' and people appear to not be hungry for a 'Pinocchio' movie right now, maybe the project should just rest for a few years. In the case of any "cool fan adaptation," I'd rather have a great film that will put lots of butts in seats (since that's how movies are ultimately judged) than for a project to be rushed and fail.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

I hope they have a real kid play the voice of Astro. Very little gets on my nerves more than 40 year olds trying to sound 9.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

Originally posted by the_real_astro_boy@Dec 20 2003, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys.
So its a bit iffy, but i reckon they will...he's getting popular again.
I ended up making my own T-shirt, looks pretty good.
too hard to find a good one anywhere...ebay has some...but they are all pretty ordinary.
I'll be back with more questions at a later date...

can you post a picture of this shirt? I'd like to see it.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”