operating systems????

Off topic discussion.
diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 13 years ago

macs are nice but that os works so diferantly then windows or any of the open desktops for linux that it confuses the crap out of people that didn't grow up on them.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 13 years ago

It's "GNU/Linux", not just "Linux" :p

Anyway...

I use Gentoo on mosty everything (PC, and even an old Mac). I used to use Firefox for web browsing, but last year I started using Opera instead. I still have Windows XP (32 bits) on my main computer for games. See the hint? Windows is only for playing, not for serious stuffs :p

I sometimes use Mac OS X on my work place as we do some Mac/iPhone development. Compiling an application for those platforms is impossible (or too difficut) without Mac OS X. Don't like it very much, but it is fairly usable when I go over my distaste :rolleyes: Mainly, most of important Unix console tools are present, which helps a lot when the system is trying to get in my way. The system doesn't want to let me change some right access on a set of files to "protect" me? Ok, just shoot a command line console and chown/chmod them :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Kabuitsu
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kabuitsu » 13 years ago

I use Windows XP. When needed, I'll get Windows 7.
There's no way you can convince me to get Vista.

...I use IE8 as browser. Yessh.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 13 years ago

I can't agree more on Vista, the only contacts I had with that "system" were troubles :eek: I remember having tried without success to install a wireless driver on that thing. For some reason, the system did install the files, but without uncompressing them, resulting in a completely unusable driver. The same driver installed fine on Windows XP. Fortunately it wasn't on my computer :D Most people I know who used Vista had problems too.

Worst... system... ever... :d oh: They should have waited until Windows 7, but they hastily shipped Vista for marketing reasons.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Kabuitsu
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kabuitsu » 13 years ago

I have heard many complains. My dad tried to install it on his laptop.

I don't remember, but I think he meet many problems, and was forced to format the computer. Back to XP.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

At work I'm on a PC running XP (we're being threatened with Windows 7, and I'm due for a new computer this year. XP has been really stable, I hate to see it go.)

At home, I'm usually communicating to y'all from my Mac Mini, 'cause it's got broadband (I also have a practically antique HP Pavillion running XP but only have dial-up. I just use it for my "serious" work).

As one who is truly 50/50 mac/pc I can honestly say that while I used to be a big fan of Apple for it's simplicity and graphic elegance (and running Windows meant endless blue screens), I now find the Mac slower and frustratingly "inaccessible" compared to a Windows machine.

As Xenops remarked, you don't have access to tweaking the appearance, maintenance, and modifying a Mac. This does NOT work for me. I had loaded Boot Camp on this computer, but software doesn't run as well -- and I find that when I'm using a Mac keyboard, my fingers have "Mac memory" and I constantly hit the Command instead of CTL!! :d oh:

I use Firefox on the Mac and IE on my PC's. Someday I want to experience Linux.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 13 years ago

@AprilSeven
why don't you get a router and connect both the mac and pc to the bradband and ditch that dialup.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

AmericanSailor
Metro City Citizen

Postby AmericanSailor » 13 years ago

I am currently running mac os 10.5.8 on a powerbook g4 15" 1.25 ghz. I find it is great for everyday use, the office suite for mac is excellent, and it has an elegance that is hard to find on windows (in my opinion). I cross between Firefox and safari. Usually I find safari is better, but sometimes it can get buggy.

I also have a machine that is running windows xp sp3. I primarily use it for programming projects as its easier to integrate with my school which uses windows 7. I use google chrome on it.

One of my projects for my network assistant class right now is integrating our windows environment to support mac os x clients (Primarily for the art labs and faculty). I am working on an xserve that is running mac os x server 10.6.6 and trying to reference users and groups in active directory on a server running windows server 2008 r2. This will allow me to impose mac specific policy based on a windows (active directory) user credentials. So far, Mac and windows have been fighting each other, but I'm learning a lot, so I guess thats what really matters.

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 13 years ago

Don't tell people... Strangers your OS or Security system please. If hackers get your cookies or install active x controls, such info will help them. Don't download stuff you don't know. And clik on every link people provide you with on here. That's all I will say.
You do see we are under attack here right? :unsure: :tenma: :whistling:
Love
Last edited by cybotron on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

"diehard67" wrote:@AprilSeven
why don't you get a router and connect both the mac and pc to the bradband and ditch that dialup.

Welllll . . . when I first purchased the HP, I did a dumb thing and attempted to install Norton Antivirus from work without completely removing the trial version of McAfee that came on the machine. BAAAAAAAAD mistake -- it's "got issues" that I had hoped would be cleared up a couple years ago when I beefed up its memory and storage, but no. So I just use "safe computing" practices :lol: - no cookies, no surfin' the net. But it runs like a top (it's 10 years old now!). And -- as some of you can imagine -- it removes the temptation to visit distracting places like Astroboy Online, and I stick to getting my work done! :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Return to “General Discussion”