Technical difficulties/impossibilities of Atom.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Anapan has submitted some links and a bablefishtranslation link.

These links should lead to English translations:
Main page

Pages discuss the impossibility
of making an atomic powered robot of Atom's size with the then current technology. The first link deals with the electronic aspects of the thing.

Vacuum tube of iron arm atom.

The page discusses the problem of putting a vacuum tube computer in such a small package, noting that ENIAC occupied a warehouse-sized building. I do not see where it addresses the problem of heat dissipation, but, to say the least, Atom would be anything but cool to the touch. Humans could not reach into his chest without being seriously burned.

Using vacuum tubes, Atom's entire body could not even contain a calculator, much less the super computer needed to make an intelligent robot.

For those unfamiliar with elecrtonic terminology, LSI stands for large scale integration, GSI must be a translation error. It should be VLSI- very large scale integration.

Next is

Energy of iron arm atom

This topic relate to my now infamous discussion Fill 'er up with premium.

This page asks, What is the nature of Atom's fuel? Is it liquid, or electric energy?
If liquid, how does he dispose of the waste product?

Next the thing talks about Atom's briefs. It discusses whether or not such a garment actually exists.
Atom's Pants

Does Atom actually wear a brief, or is it an integral part of his skin?

Apparently, it exists only when convenient or funny/cute:
Image.

This last pic reminds me of the Coppertone ad with the fat little toddler girl losing her bikini to the dog. It would be funny with Uran and Jump!

I can imagine what she in her short-round 80s configuration might say:

Don't be silly Jump, everyone knows robots don't tan!
:lol:

The page discusses the difficulty of the machine guns and energy port:

Furthermore, there to be a compensating port of energy in the rear end just it is painted with as a basis of the viewpoint which is said, in addition because the machine-gun of two connected equipment is housed in the rear end, if the underpants it is, method of thinking it was whether without of being to be caught, but it is the cloth which has elasticity, it doesn't mean that in suitable position is provided even with the slit?

Development cost * after that of iron arm atom

In other words, though the atom which was made at the scientific ministry (To Biot) above being made with state expenditure, with the expectation which is national property, call scientific economical director the expectation which it does not sell away selfishly in the circus and/or it is not possible.

This page contains Atom's tear-jerking self-sacrifice to save the earth. Image

But, it was in his nature to do so. He laid his life/existence on the line nearly every episode. It therefore, is no surprise. Yet, because he is a machine, built from designs they could certainly make another. If weekly they uploaded the week's experiences into large computer, Atom would exist as nothing less than data of his memories, experiences, personality, etc. They could always make new body to contain his persona.

Atom created

Bablefish translator :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Without any type of lifting body, Atom could not possibly fly horizontally, any more than a bullet or arrow can. They all drop at the same rate, 9.xx Meters per second squared, but they move horizontally much faster. They can travel in arcs, to achieve further horizontal distances, but the force of gravity still wins in the end.

More jetpacks

Just as the thrust nozzles must be nearly vertical to maintain altitude, so, likewise, Atom would need to keep his feet positioned.
[photo no longer available :cry: ]
Here, the near vertical, but somewhat horizontal thrust would keep Atom and Niki stationary, while the force from his buns' guns would copensate for the horizontal thrust component.

This would be a race against gravity. In this horizontal 'flight', Atom would certainly be losing altitude. Moreover, every time he turned his head, his direction would also change! It is clear that superheroes are not bound by the laws of physics as we know them! :D He would need to wiggle his legs occasionally to provide some amount of lift. :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

:p I had much difficulty finding this thread; I hope the neophytes find it interesting.
Last edited by jeffbert on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

The flight always seemed off for me. But in the manga he usually fly's with his feet and arms at the same time, maybe the arm jets push down?
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

I'm sorry to go off subject but, this picture from one of the links is just priceless! XD
Astro: Morning Doctor Elefun Yaaaawn *scratch*burp**FAAAAART*
All: o_o...

Hmmm, i said it once and i'll say it again i think the pants are fused to me, that whole slap butt slap in the 1960 show was just done as a joke. Though that skin Tenma put on Astro was odd in it's self.

Lol at the jetpacks btw, i was thinking to myself once how the muffins does Astro control those jets of his. Fighting physics is the answer lol.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Jeffbert it's your fault I'm gonna be up 'til midnight reading this stuff!

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

THIS NEWBIE LOVES IT !!! Thanks for "recycling" -- there is WAY too much here to sift through on my own!

Hey ALittleAcorn - that image is PRICELESS!! I love the BELLYBUTTON! :wub:

I wish I knew what they are saying!

Apr7 :cool:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Uh oh -- looks like the links all point to Babelfish with nothing in the translation window. Maybe the contents are long gone? :/

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Uh oh -- looks like the links all point to Babelfish with nothing in the translation window. Maybe the contents are long gone? :/

I think BBfish changed its addressing system, but the actual Japanese address should be there on the bbfish translate page. You need to click the [TRANSLATE] button, as the languages are already selected. :p

If that fails, this link should go to the main page: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fplaza.harmonix.ne.jp%2F%7Ekotani%2Fatom.html&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

AprilSeven
Silent Song

okay...let's all say it together: DUHHHHH!

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;97879]Uh oh -- looks like the links all point to Babelfish with nothing in the translation window. Maybe the contents are long gone? :/

I think BBfish changed its addressing system, but the actual Japanese address should be there on the bbfish translate page. You need to click the [TRANSLATE] button, as the languages are already selected. :p

If that fails, this link should go to the main page: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fplaza.harmonix.ne.jp%2F%7Ekotani%2Fatom.html&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate[/QUOTE]

Right you are! I was clicking around too fast and missed it (going out of my mind with a PITA crossplatform powerpoint "movie" - I HATE YOU BILL GATES! sorry...)

Didn't I say I'd be up 'til midnight!? :p Time to go Boot camp and see if I can get this thing done in Windows Movie Maker ...

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 14 years ago

Um. The jetpack link doesn't work, it would seem.
lolwut

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”