In regards to the Astro Boy 1980 Boxset

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Oct 19 2005, 04:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Oct 19 2005, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ChibiGoku@Oct 19 2005, 01:44 AM
I may, though I've been trying to stick my faces away from edited only releases. (Personal belief everything should be released billingual, and uncut)

Well, with many deleted scenes included in the extras, I believe not much remains missing, maybe just a few seconds here and there. Does anybody know if there are any more dialogs missing? I know of Astro wishing good year in a kimono (which can be seen in cybotron's signature), Astro about to get into his car in Robio and Robiette, and are there any other? :huh:

I know that for most of the deleted scenes included in the extras, I was thinking "oh, that was all? That is nothing!". Those I knew of and badly wanted to see were included.

But then I might not be the most picky one: I grew up with the French version, which was missing 4 minutes out of 21 in every episode! :lol: So to me, this release seems complete! :D [/b][/quote]
I actually have to wonder, if the deleted scenes feature is jsut to show what exactly was deleted ORIGINALLY. Though, Manga seems to be pushing for th fact that all episodes will have japanese audio, as is every place reporting this.... So who knows. We'll find out when this is released.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Welcome to the forum, ChibiGoku. As I stated in the other thread on this subject, it seems that the thing will be English with only the episodes in the extras section as Japanese with English subtitles. I base this upon my reading of the product description & the price. It is just too inexpensive to cover the cost of making all episodes bilingual. :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Oct 19 2005, 07:39 AM
I actually have to wonder, if the deleted scenes feature is jsut to show what exactly was deleted ORIGINALLY. Though, Manga seems to be pushing for th fact that all episodes will have japanese audio, as is every place reporting this.... So who knows. We'll find out when this is released.

Do you mean what was deleted even before it was shown in Japan? It's not on the Madman release, because we know of these scenes since many of us saw the Japanese episodes, and the deleted scenes were all in them. Otherwise it would make sense with an uncut version, obviously, but I don't really believe it. I'd buy it if it was this way though! :D

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 18 years ago

See that Sony? The 80s version gets to be bilinugal. <_<

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Digital Eyes gives a full description of the contents:
http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=ABD002016

It does not list any episodes as extras, but lists only English as the language.

Price is good, though:

$23.95
:lol:

I will see if my bonus points will cover this. :D

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Oct 20 2005, 03:51 AM
Digital Eyes gives a full description of the contents:
http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=ABD002016

It does not list any episodes as extras, but lists only English as the language.

Price is good, though:

$23.95
:lol:

I will see if my bonus points will cover this. :D

DVD Features:

Region 0

It also says this <_<. So I can't quite trust this information. But ah well, we'll just find out when the DVD comes in.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Here's the official site for the set:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/inde...2016&PriCatID=8

:o Where's Atlas Boy?

That's right, no Atlas Boy this time. This is a stripped down version of the Ausie box set. No Japanese 2 part pilot with Atlas Boy here. <_< :(
So much for the press release that braged: "And for the first time ever, Japanese Audio." <_< Yeah right, what happened. Why do we American Astro fans suffer so many insults? Ohh well, at least I've got the Ausie box set.

The only reasons for me to buy the U.S. version is that's it's region 1 and there's no audio hick-up at the end of Uran's Quest where she says "NO!" to Dr. Elefun, as in the Ausie box set, because the U.S. uses a different master, same as the Manga Co. tapes. :lol:

One more reason to buy the U.S. release is to support Astro, so they'll know someone here likes Astro. I'll probably buy it, like I bought the current series U.S. release, but It'll still be disappointing.

There is a "contact us" link to email them with complaints, so I'm going to soon. If enough of us here complain, maybe they'll listen and come out with a newer version with Japanese with English subs. "WE WANT ATLAS BOY!" :lol: ;)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Wow, I find it hard to believe! I wouldn't have bought this set anyway because I already own Madman's, but if anything, at least I could tell myself that it was a good decision to buy it right away and not wait all those months to end up with a set like this one, even if it was much more expensive. I might write them anyway because it's an insult to any Astroboy fan to not include those full first two episodes. So what that there are deleted scenes if the most important ones aren't part of the set... <_< Even if they added scenes from those two episodes in the deleted scenes, it's not even close to be like watching a full episode.

How do you know about the masters?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I will borrow the discs from Netflix, & reserve judgement until I have actually viewed them, because I suspect that these might just be the same as the Australian discs. I base that upon the idea that they would simply buy the license to that product & stamp discs but with region #1 instead of #4. It simply makes little sense to go to the trouble of redoing the whole thing. But as I said, I will know from 1st hand experience. :lol:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

[b]Length: 9792 mins[/b]

I don't want to hear another complaint! :D

Jeffbert: wouldn't that mean changing the format to NTSC?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”