In regards to the Astro Boy 1980 Boxset

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Oct 26 2005, 05:22 AM
[b][b]Length: 9792 mins[/b]

I don't want to hear another complaint! :D [/b]

:lol: And they managed to omit the first two Japanese episodes with so much time?! :P That would actually mean the series could be in English + Japanese + French + the full B&W series! :wahah:

Jeffbert: wouldn't that mean changing the format to NTSC?

It has to, otherwise they'll get complains by 99.9999% of the buyers! Actually that's the one thing that bothers me the most about this Australian set, it's that I'll always have to make sure I own a PAL/NTSC DVD player, just for this one (so far)! :rolleyes: Of course there is always the computer, but I bought it in the first place to be able to enjoy it in a more comfortable setting. The region doesn't bother me because it's a lot easier to find a player who can read all regions than a PAL/NTSC one, at least around here.

Astro Forever
Administrator

I meant complaints, not complains, of course, but I caught the bug! :cry:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Oct 26 2005, 05:22 AM

I don't want to hear another complaint! :D

Jeffbert: wouldn't that mean changing the format to NTSC? [/b]

Certainly. My point is why redo anything that is not necessary? Only those details need changing: PAL-->NTSC & region 4 --> 1. Having changed only those, the thing would sell, except for the part about Tobio's death. Unless the American company is thinking that even including this in the extras section would make the thing unpopular with parents, I can see no reason for the change. Of course, that assumes that the American company is using the Australian material as a source. :D

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Oct 26 2005, 07:22 PM

[/b]

:wacko: Those minutes can't be right. I mean, all 52 Japanese episodes at about 28 min. each, would only equal 1456 if my callculations are correct. Evan if there was both English and Japanese and some other language, it still wouldn't come close. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 51 English episodes comes no where near 9792 min., which is 163.2 hrs. 51 half hrs. equals 25.5 hrs.

The listings of what each disc contains doesn't add up to 9792 hrs. Maybe this whole listing is wrong, like other conflicting reports. I guess I'll still have to wait until it comes out and read the back of the box info. Jeffbert, your good with math aren't you? Are my calcutations correct? Tell me please.

:) Astro forever: you asked how I know about the masters. Well I know that the Ausie tapes of Astro put out by Siren video had the same audio hick-up in Uran's Quest as the Madman dvd, but the dvd version was cleaned up a bit. I have the U.S. Manga Entertainment tapes and there's no hick-up there, but I can't gurantee the dvd in the U.S. will use the same masters as the tapes did, but it is the same company: Anchor Bay/Manga Entertainment.

Plus each country probably has only one set of masters to use. I may be wrong, but take the 60's Astro dvd that the Right Stuf video company is releasing next year in the U.S. They had a hard time locating the original masters or any prints of certain episodes of the English dub, because they were made and owned by NBC Enterprises which doesn't exist anymore, so some are lost or damaged or destroyed. We could use the Japanese masters for stuff like this, but then there's the problem of editing them to fit our edited version. <_<

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Here's some good news:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

:lol: ATLAS BOY! :lol:
This seems more like it, at least I hope so. 51 half hr. episodes plus 2 original Japanese episodes with English subs, has to be the 2 part pilot.
It seems to be exactly the same as the Austrailian box set, but since there are only 8 discs, they'll have to cram more episodes on each disc, because the Austrailian box set had 10 discs I think. I like this listing better that the official site. I hope this one's right.

Yeah, Atlas Boy has arrived in America. :lol: I wish they would have kept him like that for at least the first season. It was funny to see Atlas Boy and Astro Boy fight and it was cute when Atlas saved Astro after he beat him up, shows he had heart.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by Atoman@Oct 27 2005, 09:05 PM
Here's some good news:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

:lol: ATLAS BOY! :lol:
This seems more like it, at least I hope so. 51 half hr. episodes plus 2 original Japanese episodes with English subs, has to be the 2 part pilot.
It seems to be exactly the same as the Austrailian box set, but since there are only 8 discs, they'll have to cram more episodes on each disc, because the Austrailian box set had 10 discs I think. I like this listing better that the official site. I hope this one's right.

Yeah, Atlas Boy has arrived in America. :lol: I wish they would have kept him like that for at least the first season. It was funny to see Atlas Boy and Astro Boy fight and it was cute when Atlas saved Astro after he beat him up, shows he had heart.

That seems promising, but what was Amazon's source for this data? <_<

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

Wow, one site says one thing, another site says another, another site says this, that. :wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah:

...ahem.

Bleh, why do I have a feeling we're going to have to wait till the release to find out what's really inside? *Sighs* I hate contridicting info.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Oct 28 2005, 12:57 AM
Wow, one site says one thing, another site says another, another site says this, that. :wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah:

...ahem.

Bleh, why do I have a feeling we're going to have to wait till the release to find out what's really inside? *Sighs* I hate contridicting info.

It's been my feeling for quite some time now! :lol: We got almost every possible information since May/June. At least Amazon's length is plausible. I love the "Exclusive 24 Page Booklet" if that is the same one than Madman's! :P

I'm glad to know that jeffbert will buy it and be able to tell us everything! :wahah: He'll be our guinea pig! ;)

Will you buy it, ChibiGoku? I wonder if it will be available here! :huh: That would be ridiculous since we still haven't have a French version available here, but I'm sure it would sell!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by Astro forever+Oct 28 2005, 02:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Oct 28 2005, 02:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ChibiGoku@Oct 28 2005, 12:57 AM
Wow, one site says one thing, another site says another, another site says this, that.  :wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah::wahah:

...ahem.

It's been my feeling for quite some time now! :lol: We got almost every possible information since May/June. At least Amazon's length is plausible. I love the "Exclusive 24 Page Booklet" if that is the same one than Madman's! :P

I'm glad to know that jeffbert will buy it and be able to tell us everything! :wahah: He'll be our guinea pig! ;)

Will you buy it, ChibiGoku? I wonder if it will be available here! :huh: That would be ridiculous since we still haven't have a French version available here, but I'm sure it would sell![/b][/quote]
I will borrow it from Netflix, since I already pay $18.89 per month for the 3 discs at a time option.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by jeffbert@Oct 28 2005, 01:59 PM
I will borrow it from Netflix, since I already pay $18.89 per month for the 3 discs at a time option.

Errr yes, sorry. You had already said you'd borrow them, but all I remembered was that you were going to watch it.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”