Live action again. Actor ideas.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 18 years ago

Ok...for a live action Astro Boy movie, who would you get to play certain roles?

For Skunk and his two sidekick goons I'd get...

Skunk - William Defoe

Big goon - ?

Small goon - Joe Peshie

Mustachio - Danny Devito

Tenma - Christopher Walken
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Tawashi: G. Gordon Liddy :lol:

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Ok, but you've got to have cute little Japanese kids playing the parts of Astro, Uran, and Cobalto. It would be an insult to Astro not to use anyone Japanese for a live action version. After all Astro is Japanese and I've seen plenty of Japanese kids with perfectly round heads and big cute eyes, perfect for the parts. B)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by Atoman@Oct 29 2005, 04:00 PM
Ok, but you've got to have cute little Japanese kids playing the parts of Astro, Uran, and Cobalto. It would be an insult to Astro not to use anyone Japanese for a live action version. After all Astro is Japanese and I've seen plenty of Japanese kids with perfectly round heads and big cute eyes, perfect for the parts. B)

I should probably mention this elsewhere, but too bad.

'Astro' is the English version's name for Atom. However, the Japanese version of 'Atom' is 'Atomu.' 'Cobalto' is the Japanese version of 'Cobalt,' just as 'Uran' is the Japanese version of 'Uranium'.

Tying all these facts together:
It seems inconsistent to use different versions of the characters' names, I use the English words for the Japanese names: 'Atom,' 'Cobalt,' & 'Uranium.'

It is like prouncincing the name of Pontiac's "Grand Prix" as
'Grand' & 'Pree,' rather than 'Grand' & 'Pricks,' or 'Gran' & 'Pree.' The mixing of the French & English pronounciations seems weird, but then, one must know that in French words ending with 'x,' the 'x' is silent. :lol:

By my standard, if I were to refer to the baby brother, I should say 'Titanium' rather than 'Chitan.' :D

So, I am a nit picker. What of it? :wahah:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Oct 29 2005, 06:00 PM
'Grand' & 'Pree,' rather than 'Grand' & 'Pricks,' or 'Gran' & 'Pree.' The mixing of the French & English pronounciations seems weird, but then, one must know that in French words ending with 'x,' the 'x' is silent. :lol:

So you pronounce the "n" and/or the "d" in "Grand Prix"? Obviously I know how it's supposed to be said in French, but I'd like to know how it's said in English. I've heard it before but I never paid attention.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by Astro forever+Oct 29 2005, 11:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Oct 29 2005, 11:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert@Oct 29 2005, 06:00 PM

So you pronounce the "n" and/or the "d" in "Grand Prix"? Obviously I know how it's supposed to be said in French, but I'd like to know how it's said in English. I've heard it before but I never paid attention. [/b][/quote]
I think so, but I am not a French Speaker. Perhaps you can enlighten me on this.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Oct 29 2005, 11:36 PM
I think so, but I am not a French Speaker. Perhaps you can enlighten me on this.

"Prix" is like you said earlier, but we don't pronounce the "n" nor the "d" of "grand". The "n" is combined with the "a" to make the sound "an", but there is no "n" sound. I don't know how to describe that sound properly in English, but you can go on this page and click on the speaker icon right before the words "dans Jean dent vent...". This is how the end of "grand" sounds. :)

jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jarvic » 18 years ago

The way I say it is "Gran(d) Pree", I repeated it to myself several times and yes I hear the D but it is very quiet, and the Grand part I say like "granmother".

Drove a 1999 model for a while before it was totaled (I was asleep in bed at the time).

Would be funny to see Astro driving a GMC Safari though. :lol: You know, instead of a Chevrolet Astro. <_<

How the heck'd we get from actors to cars? :unsure:

J

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert+Oct 30 2005, 08:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jeffbert @ Oct 30 2005, 08:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Atoman@Oct 29 2005, 04:00 PM
Ok, but you've got to have cute little Japanese kids playing the parts of Astro, Uran, and Cobalto.  It would be an insult to Astro not to use anyone Japanese for a live action version.  After all Astro is Japanese and I've seen plenty of Japanese kids with perfectly round heads and big cute eyes, perfect for the parts. B)

I should probably mention this elsewhere, but too bad.

'Astro' is the English version's name for Atom. However, the Japanese version of 'Atom' is 'Atomu.' 'Cobalto' is the Japanese version of 'Cobalt,' just as 'Uran' is the Japanese version of 'Uranium'.

Tying all these facts together:
It seems inconsistent to use different versions of the characters' names, I use the English words for the Japanese names: 'Atom,' 'Cobalt,' & 'Uranium.'

By my standard, if I were to refer to the baby brother, I should say 'Titanium' rather than 'Chitan.' :D

So, I am a nit picker. What of it? :wahah:[/b][/quote]
<_< What happened to the live-action discusion? This is an Astro Boy forum, not a language class. "What of it?" You nitpick too much, and it's annoying. If you want to be my friend, don't critique me puplicly again, ok? :P ;)

Now let's go back to talking about the live-action stuff. How about the 1959-60 live-action Astro and the '62 live-action pilot for the anime? :lol: :lol: Anyone seen them?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Sorry. :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”