Astro Boy Image Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

I had no idea there were threads with so many images (but I'm still a newbie). I've posted a few screen shots to show particular features from various episodes, but I agree with Jeffbert about the risk of going overboard.

To post and display rare/lost/restored images is, I think a wonderful resource (especially if they aren't available for purchase in manga or animation form -- and/or with subs). Guess I (dare I say it?) assumed Tezuka Co. were okay with what we have here so far.

Sharing ideas about what could/should be posted and how to do so, is a worthwhile thing - as long as we don't jump in too fast (without a thumbs up from the appropriate sources).

What could be problematic, I think, are some of the hysterical motivational posters, caption contests and Photoshop the Image competitions. I enjoy that stuff as much as fanfic and semi-scientific speculation -- but I can picture someone having a cow when they see "How's my Flying?" plastered across Astro's butt (I'm sitting here laughing out loud at the memory of THAT one!) :lol:

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

Indeed there are some rather silly images on the forum :p

I would be all for asking for some kind of permission from anyone in charge but I would have no idea how to go about doing that. Nor do I have the skills with words required to make a good first impression. As far as I am aware there is no official online presense of any official website outside of Japan (not that makes it ok to just do as we please) which doesn't help at all.

I hope my original intention isn't being misinterpreted though. I don't mean to cause trouble, merely trying to stir a little more interest in Astro in a constructive manner.
Lets back it up nice and slow now...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"TasZero" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;98097]As much as it may seem odd for me to say this, seeing that I have posted many images, I have been careful in creating new image-laden threads to keep the number of them rather low for any episode. I do not want to give the impression that I am giving away the entire plot by posting so many images. OK, when I have restored the missing images from older threads, I usually just upload and link to all that I had previously posted, even if there were 20 or 30. I often felt bad about so many, & sometimes reduced them to 320 by 240, as though that made it ok. :hyo: My use of images in my reviews of episodes is centered around the different versions of the stories, and consists largely of 100 by 100 portraits. I think long and hard before I post full screen images, and always cite sources, etc.

I know many threads are here that feature as many as 40 to 50 images from each episode; I had not given this any thought until now, but this is taking for granted Tezuka Co's tolerance. Now, some are talking about 100s of images from each episode. I think it would be presumptuous to simply make so many images available to anyone. None of us has any license to do with the images as we please, and, thus, we should not feel free to do so. If we can justify this, then what stops us from justifying making the entire audio tracks available?

Tezuka Co. tolerates us so far, why press our luck? :p irate:

I understand your point. These sorts of issues are always present. However. There are two sides to the arguement. Put simply, your threads and use of the pictures is one of the main factors that I am considering purchasing the 60's series on dvd.

The idea behind the gallery isn't to include "episode guides" such as your threads but rather a collection of images based on characters, revealling little about the story instead simply being an archive of picutres to make us smile and enjoy the characters we know and love.
Nor is it meant to infringe on the rights of Tezuka Co. and if they say they don't like it then I would be only too happy to take it down.
On the other hand such a gallery may in its own way be benificial to the Astro boy community and to Tezuka co. If even one person who sees the gallery decided they want to investigate the dvds then that is a win for the official release.

And of course, I encourage everyone to buy Astroboy.[/QUOTE]

I base my critique on this sentence:
"TasZero" wrote:Basically I'd like to put togther a collection of Astro Boy pictures, not just the best of the best but a full gallery, that means 1000's of pictures from all the generations sorted and stored somewhere we could all look at them, while also ensuring the links don't expire over the years.

I may have been wrong in interpreting this, but if I may paraphrase it, you seem to be advocating somebody hosting images from every episode including the ones that are not particulaly interesting, such as images that are not funny, do not contain our favorite characters, or show any significant actions. "not just the best of the best" means just that, images that have nothing particularly interesting about them. So, perhaps you should clarify your intent. :hyo:

The idea behind the gallery ...
Nor is it meant to infringe on the rights of Tezuka Co. and if they say they don't like it then I would be only too happy to take it down.
On the other hand such a gallery may in its own way be benificial to the Astro boy community and to Tezuka co. If even one person who sees the gallery decided they want to investigate the dvds then that is a win for the official release.

And of course, I encourage everyone to buy Astroboy.

As I see it, you want to create a central location for all the images that people might want to use on the forums. But what if that 1 particular image is just not there? The very one that somebody wants to use, say, for the caption game. This person, assuming he has this image, or can capture it from his own DVD sets, is going to upload it 1st, then link to it? But this means that members will have the abilty to upload images at will, & there are too many members to simply extend such trust to all. We would have essentailly our own photobucket, and that would entail more hassles than we would ever want.

Ideas and intents aside, those who own the rights cannot afford to condone infringements thereon. If they do, then, they had established a precedent of relinquishing those rights. Even if these infringements expose willing buyers to their products, they cannot afford to forgo their rights.

I only speak for myself; I would love to share images from my 36 disc B&W collection in this way, but I dare not go so far. :lol:

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Ok, point taken. From the sounds of it, the idea isn't as practical is it is troublesome ;)
Therefore. Unless some aditional reason can be come up with, then lets just leave at an idea.

"jeffbert" wrote:I only speak for myself; I would love to share images from my 36 disc B&W collection in this way, but I dare not go so far. :lol:

36 discs, thats a lot :lol: I have only managed to find the Australian release online and that is only 22 discs (which I am really considering buying) What does your collection comprise of?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

all 193 eps from the B&W; all 27 from Jetter Mars, the entire 1980s & 2003. I still lack the live action seri-- no, serial; but $360 is a bit too much right now. I also have the manga; Dark Horse 23 vols, the Australian version of the 2003, & Pluto.

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

I simply wish I had that much of an expendable income. However, given the fact you've been collecting for many more years than I have, then thats no surprise.

I'm no expert regarding the 60's episodes, so, I'm guessing that you have however many they made in English and the others in Japanese?

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Sounds like a cool idea

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"TasZero" wrote:I simply wish I had that much of an expendable income. However, given the fact you've been collecting for many more years than I have, then thats no surprise.

I'm no expert regarding the 60's episodes, so, I'm guessing that you have however many they made in English and the others in Japanese?

yes I do; I am currently trying to get the Japanese characters' names; rarely is this an easy task, even with such obvious name markers as the suffixes -San, -chan, etc. But have fractional speeds on Power DVD and a sound recorder does make it easier. :lol:

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Slightly confused?

So what your saying is that you can't tell what they're saying because you don't know Japanese? Or are you saying you can't tell because the audio is poor quality?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I know just enough to tell when someone is introducing himself or when someone uses a person's name, provided that the suffixes are used. But even then, it is often difficult to make out the exact name, because Japanese is foreign to me. Names that are meaningful to the Japanese, mean little to me, other than to identify a character. For instance, "Baron Hoodwink" is a name Fred Ladd & co. used for Saturn ('Satan') in the B&W Robot Land. If he had a Japanese name with the same meaning, 'damasu,' I would have difficulty with it. 1st place, discerning the actual spelling would be a pain, I would need to replay the audio at various fractional speeds, & even then, I would only be guessing, as there are a few silent letters in Japanese. I am certain that 'Tezuka' has a silent 'u,' for instance. 2nd, even if I think I have the correct spelling, I will have difficulty finding the meaning, as English-Japanese dictionaries are no way going to list every word I might ever hear.

Also, some characters whom Fred Ladd named in the English version, might not have names in the Japanese version.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”