Astro Boy Reboot (Future animated series)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Reid958
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Reid958 » 9 years ago

Oh wow!
How neat! At least we know one of the chactacters name in this reboot. It suddly got me wondering, I'd like to see what they look like through. I kind of agree, I just wish I could see the other characters....maybe just for a supprise you know.

Of course, this probably means no siblings...[/QUOTE]

The summary did sound like that might not be any siblings, maybe it's dr ochanoimizu as Astro's foster parent again. Well I dunno, it could happen with robot parents like the manga. :confused:

FelicityRedbarrow
Metro City Citizen

Postby FelicityRedbarrow » 9 years ago

I think Astro would be less likely to feel the need to be human if he had robot parents. It would make sense for Ochanomizu to be the parental figure here. Obviously, the doctor wouldn't care about him being a robot. He would probably assure Astro that he doesn't need to be human, but it's not the same coming from someone who is human.

As far as having no siblings, you're probably right. If they added Uran, she would either be okay with just being her robot self, which would likely influence Astro, or she would also feel the need to be human, which would make the series about both of them (which would be fine with me, but I don't think that's a direction they will be taking).

I wish we could have some more character designs!

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 9 years ago

I just thought of something: this sort of plot device has been used before, at least in a limited sense, in canon. In the Sea Serpent Isle story- or at least, the English version of it in the 1963 animated series, which I rewatched fairly recently- Astro would like nothing better than to be seen as a real boy; or rather, as I have interpreted, to be seen as a real being, with thoughts and emotions- to not be seen as something lesser, to not be seen as just a "thing". This new story seems to expand upon that idea, while also making him a bit more like a robot in the process- although, in one of the stories it is implied that he acted rather awkward at first, while Tenma was raising him to believe that he was a human boy.

I have no idea if Ochan will even be in this series at all. It's not unlikely for him to be the caretaker again, but it's not impossible that it'd be someone else, as well. We'll just have to wait and see.
lolwut

FelicityRedbarrow
Metro City Citizen

Postby FelicityRedbarrow » 9 years ago

I just had a thought. Guys, do we even know if there will be a Tobio? They have the right to change the story, so they could edit that part out. I would call this a huge mistake, but I could see them doing it. It could be argued that the concept is too morbid for a children's program. Think about it, they already edited out the gross mistreatment from the circus in the last series. Again, I really hope they don't do this, but it is a possibility, don't you think?

Although, having him built to replace a human boy would likely compel him to feel the need to be as human as possible, and since that is the focus this time, it would be beneficial for the story to keep Tobio.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

There doesn't have to be a child who dies. Astro could be created to be the child of barren parents. This would be even closer to the Pinocchio story than what Tezuka imagined.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Uran-chama » 9 years ago

I'm excited for this plot. While I feel all the Astro Boy adaptations touched upon the theme of him wanting to be human, it was never a main focus. I think this will open the series to a lot of character development for Astro and some dramatic/sad moments.

I'm also wondering if Tobio will be in this. I think they could cut him out if they wanted to, but keeping him would give Astro more of a reason to want to be human-like.

It also seems a little unlikely that they'll add Astro's family members, even Uran. It sounds like they just want to focus on Astro. Unless, like FelicityRedbarrow said, Uran is totally okay with being a robot and in that way helps Astro accept/feel better about being a robot himself. But then again, that could be achieved with other robot characters they decide to introduce.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

I've been wondering myself if Astro will be the only returning character, and that everyone else will be brand new. After all, this is a different city that the series will take place in. If they wanted to, they could change the doctor who creates him into someone entirely new.

But then again, I have doubted myself thinking about that. I would think that there would be a desire by fans for other certain characters to return, so they probably wouldn't go the route of making an almost entirely new cast of characters. All I can say is that it'll be interesting to see who of the main characters will return and who won't. For all we know, they could pull a fast one on us and actually include an unexpected veteran character; I'm sure none of us would've guessed Ham Egg would've returned in LAB had they not included the promotional image for that right off the bat.

Based on the summary, it at least sounds like Astro's friends from previous series like Shibugaki and Tamao will not return if his two human best friends are entirely new.

As for Tobio, I'm predicting that he probably won't return. I'm wondering if they're going to change Astro's origin story a little bit in this iteration. I'm wondering if what Tetsuwan Penguin said in his post may be right, but we'll have to wait and see.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

I always figured that Tobio probably wouldn't show up, myself. It'll be interesting to see just what exactly is the case here...

As for his friends, we don't know what they look like yet. For all we know, they could be recycled designs of his old friends, or other characters from the series' storied past, just given new names. Even if they aren't exact, they could take heavy inspiration from them.

I can't see anything about that Facebook post because 1) I can't read French and 2) it won't let me do anything without being logged in to Facebook, which is impossible because I don't have an account, do not especially want one, and my mom won't promise to stay away from my account if I made one. (I can't understand why that's so hard to do; she always changes the subject if I try to bring it up, like it's an annoyance or something. But I want to keep my business, my business, ya feel?)
lolwut

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:I can't see anything about that Facebook post because 1) I can't read French and 2) it won't let me do anything without being logged in to Facebook,

The translation of the French says "Meanwhile the teaser released exclusively at MAGIC, here is the teaser of Astroboy Reboot website with a first image of 'Divercity'". That was posted on December 14 of last year.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Gods what a punny name. I made a Facebook for nothing, then, it seems. Although I assume that I can still follow the page, I guess.
lolwut

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”