The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

A torrent would be great! :cool: :heart: I would love to be able to download an uncut version with better subtitles. :)
:astro:

I am not familiar with ISO. The torrents I download are usually AVI or MKV. Is it similar to either of these? I use Nero to burn my DVDs and since it doesn't recognize MKV I always have to convert those files to NTSC (mpeg2) before burning. Do you think Nero will burn/recognize ISO or if not that I will be able to convert the files? :confused:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

.ISO is essentially a complete image of the original DVD. In other words, the right image burning software can basically reconstruct the entire DVD with NO loss of anything - it's just like having the original. (Well, region code removed so it's playable everywhere). It's my preferred format just because you don't lose even a shred of quality, but it does require certain things to use, like a dual layer DVD burner in this case. Nero should be able to handle it though (and if not, there are some free Image Burners out there like ImgBurn that are great).

If most people find MKV more desirable, I can consider converting to that instead.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I'm a little iffy on bittorrents. Could you put them up on megaupload.com? Also, I would personally prefer these formats;
.avi
.mp4
.wmv
.flv

AstroRex
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroRex » 14 years ago

I can provide a web host where you can FTP the file to, or you can send it to me via Yahoo messenger, or MSN, or AIM, if you like. Just let me know which chat program you use. I can upload the ISO file to my web server and provide a link so that others can download it again. Just let me know how I can contact you.
[sigpic][/sigpic]I was MADE ready!

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

K here's what I think I'll do if it sounds good by everyone.

Again, I hope this is alright to share this, but given the Korean DVD's are so freaking rare and hard to get, I just think it'd be nice to get them out there for people. I still recommend buying the US set if you get a chance (off iTunes or at Amazon on DVD) - if nothing else, the English voicework is worth it, and it's fun to note the differences.

I've found a way to convert all the episodes to good quality .AVI files (not as good looking as DVD but still quite nice) - should be simple (nothing to select and turn on/off; just a simple video file with Japanese audio and English subs) and highly compatible with most players not to mention less than half the size of the ISO's to download. MegaUpload isn't really a good option as the file sizes are just going to be too big, but I can torrent 'em and also share them via that FTP server, AstroRex - thanks for the offer and you can PM me with the details if you like. (I'd share via FTP myself but that's an awful lot of traffic and storage on an FTP server, so be sure you know what you're getting into and won't incur overages or anything lol). I should be able to get this done in the next couple days (max the next week) as it's pretty quick to convert to this .AVI format.

I also still want to share it in .ISO format for those who want bit-for-bit quality video/sound. That'll take longer and may not be available for a few weeks tho'.
Last edited by sgupta on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

Sounds Great! :) Thank you so much for doing this!! :wub:

I agree that people should buy the domestic English release if they can as well (if they have not already). It is fun to have both versions to compare (or watch when you don't want to read) and enjoy, but also to help with the sale of Astro Boy products which leads to future product releases. :astro:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

w00T! Alright, I got done with the file generation more quickly than I thought. =) This isn't bad with the right tools. Now the whole thing's down to finding the best distribution method and getting these massive things uploaded on a slow upstream connection - lol.

I've got all 6 ISO's ready to go in addition to all 23 AVI's (the episodes go to 24, but Eternal Boy, number 20, is missing as previously reported, so it's actually 23 eps; they just completely skip 20).

Each AVI is ~ 530 MB. I could either share them RARed up in one package (about 11.7 GB) or individually on a FTP server in a folder - whatever's preferred.

The ISO images are more interesting. The first three discs each weigh in at about 6.33 GB and have as high a quality video as you could ask. Interestingly, the next three are all much smaller (3.7 GB for two and the one with only three episodes weighing in at 2.76 GB). I tried to compare in media players video quality between the AVI's generated from the large discs and the smaller ones and I could tell only a very slight degradation in quality (so small I had to pause on the same frame to truly detect it), so video is still extremely high quality - just not *quite* as high as those first discs (labeled single layer, believe it or not, but they've got to be dual and labeled incorrectly).

The bigger difference is if I try to play the latter discs directly from DVD on my computer with certain programs. The smaller discs have very annoying interlace artifacts. I'm curious to see what it'll look like on my DVD player and am burning a disc now to try it. Curiously, Windows Media Player plays it fine without these artifacts, but most of my other media players have problems. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with how the video's encoded and what program is decoding it. It's pretty obvious the discs 4-6 are encoded much differently than 1-3 are.

I'm curious if the Japanese discs will vary that much as the series progresses. I should also note the first 3 discs came in the "Collector's" box set with figures and such. The latter 3 came in the more standard (but same release) box set (a nifty hologram, but no toys), which I was under the impression was the same DVDs without the toys, and the jackets/art/cases for all 6 discs are consistant. So it's *possible* the 2nd *Collector's* set has the dual layer DVD's as well, but I kind of doubt it. Seems more like they were trimming costs with the second set and then as probably most of you know, the 3rd and 4th sets that would have completed the series never were produced. I'd be curious to hear from anyone with the 4, 5, and 6 discs from the Collector's Set and how much data is on them.
Last edited by sgupta on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Just a quick update. The good news is the last 3 discs look great on my DVD player - no artifacting at all, so the interlacing on those discs is definitely something with how certain programs are decoding them. (This also doesn't occur in the ripped AVI's). Watching the DVD, I'd be pretty hard pressed to tell the difference between the last three and the first three on the DVD player even though the last three must be compressed quite a bit more.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I have a request: try to read the text in the frames of Atom's HUD that occur in #9 Franken. These show the full names of the kids on the bus. I tried, but they were very poor quality even though the image's native format was 720x480. I am really only interested in Shibugaki's full name. :lol:

I tried sharpening, enhancing the contrast, etc, but the letters are still unreadable. I suppose the only reason I can 'read' Shibugaki is because I know that is what it says. :p

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

Haha, I leave for a couple days and sgupta is planning on releasing full ISOs and AVIs. Makes me feel inadequate. :lol:

I'm still gonna do the Japanese originals, though, just because.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”