Pluto anime discussion

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Pushmipullu
Kokoro Robot

Re: Pluto anime discussion

Postby Pushmipullu » 8 months ago

Also of note, according to the updated ANN post, the series will consist of eight hour long episodes, so it looks like around an hour or so per volume.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 months ago

Thanks Pushmipullu.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 6 months ago

The third and final trailer for the Pluto anime has been released:

PLUTO | Official Trailer | Netflix

We also have a new key visual:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 6 months ago

Cool! How many parts/episodes?

Shiyonasan
Administrator

jeffbert wrote:Cool! How many parts/episodes?

8 episodes that are each 1 hour long. With the manga being 8 volumes, each episode will cover 1 volume from the manga.

I'm not sure how frequently the episodes will be released but I'm guessing there's one episode a week.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 6 months ago

It's been a long time and we're almost there. I cannot WAIT for this to drop.

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

Postby GreenDarthVader » 6 months ago

Hyped!
In preparation for its release, I'm hosting a viewing party with friends for the 1st two 80s Astro Boy episodes, as well as the 2 parter Greatest Robots. Came to the forum for the 80s dubbing trivia I vaguely remembered. Happy to see it is still (somewhat) active. Curious their response when this fun little kid's show gets SAD.

I haven't read Pluto since high school. I hope it still holds up, and more importantly, I hope the anime does it justice. Having 1 hour per volume feels like they are at least giving it enough time. Good or bad, I'll be there! (though dang, did they have to release it on the day I move? Hope there's enough time to download it before catching my flight!)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 6 months ago

released in October? I will still be watching TCM's horror films.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

The Pluto anime is out as of today! You can watch it all on Netflix:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81281344

All 8 episodes got released at the same time so you can watch it at your own pace.

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

Postby GreenDarthVader » 5 months ago

I'll try to avoid spoilers, just because I think I binged it a bit quicker than most, but just wanted to say how happy I was it was not bad.

Personally, I feel they went for a very literal adaptation, which is fine, but it also means I don't think the animation added much. It was perfectly serviceable (minus a thankfully few wonky looking 3D moments), but didn't really elevate beyond in my opinion. That said, the strength of the manga is in its story, and that was kept in tact. Once again, the literal adaptation felt a little odd for the medium of animation: a lot of talking heads discussing information that's already known to the reader, but the characters recapping it are different. That works fine in an ongoing manga, and does flesh out the characters through the same information having different reactions (and is a helpful recap if you are pacing yourself), but feels more natural in print.

I will say there were a few moments where the sound design/music did enhance the original story. Specifically, the composer story in episode 1, Pluto's cry, and a few moments in the finale. Not as much as I would have liked, but still appreciated.

All that said, I feel like I'm damning with faint praise, when I am truly happy with it. I think the story not only holds up, but hits even more close to home with time (though now that I'm older, I do feel there were a few fights where characters found each other because "it was convenient for the plot" rather then having a proper set up, but considering that is 90% of the source material, I'm fully willing to let it slide) As a Tezuka fan, I had forgotten that some of Tezuka's later adult works get referenced, since they weren't as common in the older Star System. Also, having freshly watched the 80s episode with friends and having knowledge of the Tenma plot in the manga, I loved rediscovering the way it both plays with expectations and translates minor details from the original story.

I think my complaints stem a lot from worrying how the general audience will react, and I am curious what the non-Astro Boy non-Pluto fans take away. I do believe the first episode works for a general advice due to half of it being a self contained story which is one of the best parts of Pluto, and you get it right out of the gate. After that, the story gets much more integrated into the overall plot, which is a harder sell, but I've recommended all my friends try at least the first episode.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”