DVD sub vs, VHS dub, R. Strauss vs. F. Liszt

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Series: While listening to the closing theme, one clearly hears 'Atomu', even though the subtitle says "the powerful Atsro Boy", the viewer knows better. The song says 'Atomu'. Because both 'atom' and 'uranium' were adopted from English, the English speaker can clearly make out the names of both him and his kid sister. The boy is 'Atom' while his kid sister is 'Uran' as in 'uranium'. To the people of Japan this series put a positive note on atomic energy. While the subtitles call her 'Reene', one can clearly hear 'Uran' ("Oo-rhan"). Although to the English viewers of the 60s series, she was simply 'Astrogirl'.

The subtitles are of rather poor quality, and include some really poor grammar, and even some minor profanity. Little boys ought not to say "damn you", but Atom does it regularly when speaking of the bad guys.

Episode 1: "The Birth of Astro Boy"
After already having viewed the English dub of this, I was pleasantly surprised to see some differences.
Ricard Strauss' "Thus Spake Zarathustra" (better known as the theme to S. Kubrik's '2001' ;) is the musical accompaniment to Astroboy's birth (awakening), while the dub version produced for English speakers uses Franz Liszt's "Le Prelude". But, more than that there are quite a few scenes that were edited out of the dubbed version. Moreover, while the subtitles call him 'Phillip', one can clearly hear his name is 'Tobio' ('Toby' for the dub), just as the sub for his dog is 'John', but the audio (and the English television dub) is clearly 'Jump', or 'Jumpa'. Jump initially rejects him, probably because he has no human scent.

Although he has the form of a nine year-old boy, the robot Tobio is an infant, who must learn not only physical coordination, but manners also. His 100,000 horsepower does not help either. His behavior errors are too many for his creator/papa, who in his rage after a mistake sends him away.

:angry: One defect of the English television version (also on VHS) is there was no explanation about his flashing eyes incident that occurred in this episode. But here, it is clear, he has a psychic link to 'Atlas' (dub), or is it 'Artilus' (sub, which I believe is simply a translation error), a twin robot that the bad guys have created using stolen plans for Astroboy. In the English television version, Atlas does not even appear in until tenth episode, leaving viewers stumped regarding Atom's flashing eyes incident, that caused him to loose consciousness and go 'sleepwalking'. Another defect, is that the scene with a dying Tobio asking his papa san to make the robot in his image, and name it after him is completely missing. The DVD has it all.

Counting the opening and closing credits, the first episode ran 24:07, about the same running time as the taped dub version.

GIR
Metro City Citizen

Postby GIR » 21 years ago

You beat me to it! I think the funniest one is that Daddy Walrus is referred to as "beard old man" wtf were they thinking :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

My favourite badly translated subtitle is from episode 2 when Walpur Guiss see Livian drop the statue. He says "You are so unforgiven!" :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I have seen far worse than than. And I do agree that the poor quality subtitles add a humorous touch. If Atom's mama could hear him, I wonder if she would wash out his mouth with WD-40 (American oil product)? He frequently says "Damn you" and "You go to Hell". Guiss says "Titan Ma that guy will be pi**ed off", while working on Artilus. :wahah:

GIR
Metro City Citizen

Postby GIR » 21 years ago

I think the "You go to Hell" line works well :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Dr. Temna (Boynton) replying to Guiss' offer of the Omega Factor says "I don't want to use the suck stuff!" :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

ROFL! Yes, that was a great one!

They also say "It hurts!" when they get injured. I guess this is a translation for whatever they say in Japan to expess "Ow!".

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”