That Pig Thing...

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

I have seen 1-16 of the new series, and have noted the absence of manga-style humor. It is a departure from previous stuff, and a sad one, at that. :( :cry: Even the film Metropolis had Lamp with a candle on the back of his head, but the new Astroboy series completely lacks the funny visual gags! :cry:

Uran dances with Hyotantsugi in Uran Falls In Love.

Cute-little girl skipping along was cute enough, by herself. H-S' presence was ok, but I found it unnecessary.
Uran skipping and singing was enough to put a smile on my face. And anyway, as you noted H-S usually appears to lighten a serious situation.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Cute-little girl skipping along was cute enough, by herself. H-S' presence was ok, but I found it unnecessary.
Uran skipping and singing was enough to put a smile on my face. And anyway, as you noted H-S usually appears to lighten a serious situation.

I remember watching it for the first time in 1982 and thinking "what were those things?"
Then a couple of years ago I found out what they were and I found it quite funny. I mean, Uran's whole dance scene seemed to be done just for the sake of itself. It's not necessary for any plot element. They started the sequence with the Hyotantsugi dancing with her - it's as though they were saing "let's have some fun!"

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”