astroboy snes

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
tricky_astral
Kokoro Robot

Postby tricky_astral » 21 years ago

:( i am unable to work out how to kill the blue guy - 2nd boss sorta dude

i have not played it for long - downloaded 2day even..

if someone has some tips i would love to hear them!!

cheers
astral

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 21 years ago

I will play the game again and write a game faq. Please give me... 2-3 weeks, 'kay? (I'm kinda busy at this time.)

Believe me, the ending is not worth playing for... You will need A LOT of patience for the last boss (heck, you will need patience for most of the game). It is possible to beat the game without cheating...

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 21 years ago

Heh, I don't have the patience to play that game. But hey, if you can play through it start to finish, why not use ZSNES and record movies while you do it?

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by Anapan@Jun 25 2003, 09:34 PM
Heh, I don't have the patience to play that game. But hey, if you can play through it start to finish, why not use ZSNES and record movies while you do it?

I have ZSNES but I really don't know how to record the movies... ;^^ Could you give me a quick walkthrough on it?

Oh, BTW people who are playing this game, the game WILL freeze on the last boss (after the dialog). I'm not sure if this happens if you cheat, but update your emulator and don't cheat! I did this and the last boss fight finally worked.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Sure. From the Misc drop-down menu, choose Movie OPN, then choose one of the slots and click Record, now while you're playing, the game will save all the stuff you do to a .ZMV file (or .ZM1, .ZM2, ... depending on which number you choose in the Movie Options). Most people choose a different number for each level, that way if you die or something you can just re-record over that one level.

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Finally done with my walkthrough. You can download the file from Walkthrough

I'll just post it here too just in case Geocities goes down or I run out of bandwidth...

I got the movie files too but Geocities and Freewebs will not let me upload them. Anybody know any host that will?

A.C. Breakman’s Walkthrough to:
Mighty Atom (AKA Astro Boy) for the SNES

Astro Boy, Mighty Atom, and all related characters are trademarks of Tezuka Productions. At no point in this walkthrough I took credit in creating the game or its characters. You may use this document if:
1. You do not sell it.
2. If posting the document on your site, do not edit or steal its contents.
3. Give me credit (“A.C. Breakman”) if posting it anywhere.
Thank you. ^_^

This document was created on July 3, 2003.
Use Times New Roman, regular, and size 12 please. This document is 5 pages long.
I will not update this walkthrough unless there’s a huge mistake or misunderstanding.

Table of Contents

~\ Controls
~\ Beginning Stuff
*~\ Level 1
*~\ Level 2
*~\ Level 3
*~\ Level 4
*~\ Level 5
*~\ Level 6
*~\ Level 7
*~\ Level 8
~\ Ending Stuff

~__CONTROLS__~

Here’s the basic controls:

B =Punch
A =Jump
X, R, or L =Fly (Hold down button to fill up energy gauge.)
A =Air Dash (When in air...)
A =Air Turn (Used only in one level...)

Some extra controls:

Press and hold DOWN and move LEFT or RIGHT =Crawl
Hold DOWN and press B =Low Punch

~__BEGINNING STUFF__~

Throughout this whole game, you WILL need patience... especially during Level 4's boss (boy, do I really dislike him! ;) .This game is not extremely hard or anything (the levels are pretty easy), the bosses are the only thing that makes this game not mega-fun.

I want to make this clear in the beginning, this game is pretty lame. The ending is not worth playing for. I just played this game and wrote a walkthrough because I really like Astro Boy. ;;;^_^

AIR DASH
To Air Dash, charge up and fly. Press the jump button to make Atom fly like a bullet and press jump again to stop dashing. If you hit a wall while dashing, he will bounce from it and hit the ground holding his head. Do not do this because enemies could still attack and hurt you while you wait for Atom to get back up. For the majority of the game, remember this: “Air Dash is your friend.” You will be using it a lot to get past tough parts, beating bosses, and whatever else this game throws at you. Once or twice in a blue moon that you should not use it. Try and master dashing and stopping without hitting walls.

HEARTS
There are 3 hearts total in this game. One in level 2, level 4, and level 7. These increase your health meter by one heart (they do not restore your health). You need only three hearts to beat the last boss but if you want it to be easier on you, grab them. PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: when you use up all your lives and hit “yes” on the continue screen, all your collected hearts will be gone meaning you will be back to your ‘default’ health meter. What a terrible game bug...

ENERGY CANS
Throughout the game, you will find two types of energy cans. These refill your health meter. The one that looks like an oiling can, refills 2 hearts (if I remember correctly). The one that looks like a cylinder can, refills all your hearts.

URAN/ASTROGIRL
She will help you in this game if you pick up a lighter-like object (they are not hard to miss). In this guide, I’ll call these objects “Uran Lighter” She will go across the top of the screen, when summoned, and drop an energy can (it’s random which type) or a rare 1-up (I think I remember once...) and leave. I only found 3, one in level 2, level 4, and level 7.

ITEM PICKUP
Sometimes I have some trouble grabbing items off the floor (usually with the hearts). If you pass through an item and did not pick it up, stand on top of it and press down. You will be able to get it. Another game bug?

DESCENDING CEILINGS
There are only two in this game in level 1 and level 2. When you encounter one of these, fly up and touch the falling ceiling. As long as you hold up while flying, Atom will use his strength to put it back to its place. Do not dilly dally though; just raise it to the highest it can go and exit the room. No, you can not die by a falling ceiling; Atom will just hold it up above him if you do not do anything.

BOSS NAMES
I do not know any of the bosses’ official names (except Atlas). The names I gave them are what they basically look like.

I think that covers the extra stuff. Proceed to the walkthrough and good luck!

~__LEVEL 1__~
You start outside of the... whatever it is. Go forward and destroy baddies until you hit a dead-end. Punch the switch above the door. If you want health, fly over the pit and grab it (flip that switch too). Go up the stairs but before you go any further, fly to the left wall to find a small room with a 1-up. Now continue to the right. Inside this small room, the ceiling will fall. Get out of there and destroy (or not) the baddie after and go down to find another switch. Fly over to it and punch it. Go up the stairs, carefully go under that moving yellow block, and fly over the pit. Do you see that bolder up there? Just get hit with it while going up (energy is coming up) and fly up. Punch the left rock door and enter. Punch the switch (grab the energy by crawling) and go back. Punch the right door and jump down the hole in that room to fight your first boss!

BOSS: YELLOW SPHINX
He is easy. Do an Air Dash low to the ground towards him when he is shooting. 2 or 3 dashes will do him in.

~__LEVEL 2__~
Welcome to the haunted house! ...Or someone’s house sure does look haunted.... Anyways, go through the front door and find that the room is dark. Use Atom’s light-eyes to guide you through the room, dodging or destroying baddies who are in the way. There’s an Uran Lighter half way through the room. Punch your way through to the next room. In this room, you will find 3 ways: up, down, right. (If you don’t want to get the heart in this level, skip the right door and go down the bottom one instead.) RIGHT DOOR: Go over to the right door, punch, and go through. This room has a heart so dodge the flame guys, grab the heart, and exit the other door. This room has a funny looking ceiling... go to the next room. In the graveyard, the graves will come alive. Make them hit the wall when dashing at you. After them comes mudmen. Defeat them (2 hits each) and fall through the hole. Back to the crossroads again. BOTTOM DOOR: Low punch the rock door and fall in. You will land on top of a conveyor belt going left. This whole area is surrounded with spikes. Just go forward taking out baddies and dodging electricity until you find a huge ball and chain going to and fro. Crawl under it to the other side. Next, do not step on the rock bridge (it will fall with you on it). Air Dash across the pit and bridge (watch and time your dash to the electricity; touching it will cause you to fall). Got to a ’lion’s’ head? Cool. Fly (do not dash! ;) and you will see an opening. Jump down for boss fight 2!

BOSS: BLUE DEVIL (Not related to Megaman games’ mid-bosses. ^_^)
This guy is a bit tough. Whenever you get close, he moves to the other side. “Air dash is your friend.” So true here. Get in MIDDLE of the screen and FLY UP 3/4s of the way to the height he is. Air Dash! He will go down to try to dodge the attack but will walk right into the attack. Do this 10 times to defeat him.

~__LEVEL 3__~
Inside a space ship full of evil robots... The perfect vacation for Atom. There’s nothing to talk about this level. The objective is to defeat all enemies in the room and go up to another room. There are just 2 floors of this and then you fight the next boss.

BOSS: EVIL COMPUTER
This boss is kinda easy because inside this room, the programers put an energy can. When the Boss drops to the ground, punch it 9 times. (Jump over the red energy balls.) He will transform into a different shape. Grab the energy if needed. Punch the machine 8 more times to kill it.

~__LEVEL 4__~
c/` Under the sea... c/` All this level deals with swimming and flying. You can only punch in this level so be careful. Go forward and dodge/destroy baddies. When you see some seaweed, go down and pick up the “hidden” items (Uran lighter and a heart). Go on through the maze of spikes and end up in open waters (subs are in here). You will see an energy can (full life type) in an opening. As soon as you get it, a current will push you back. Hold right on the D-pad when the current is pushing you back and hold left when pulling you forward. Guide yourself to a room where the next boss waits.

BOSS: HUGE SHARK
You won’t believe how hard this guy is! (This guy should have been the last boss...) Whatever you do, do not touch its tail! Punch this guy’s face (it will turn redder and redder when hurt). Beware the currents too. If you want to do the slow way (and most safest), get out of the water, dodge the energy balls the tail shoots, and hit the head whenever he gets out of the water. I lost count on how many hits to defeat this guy after 30, so I think 45 hits is about right. Oh, I forgot to mention that there’s an energy can in this room...

~__LEVEL 5__~
Finally Atom is in outer space. ^_^ Just like the previous level, you can only punch in this level. There’s nothing much to talk about this level. Do not mind the timer. When you reach around 30 seconds on the clock, the enemies will disappear and all you do is dodge walls until you reach a narrow opening. (Stay low, there’s an baddie here. It will miss you if you stay low and do not do anything.) Good luck.

BOSS: NONE
An award for defeating that shark boss?

~__LEVEL 6__~
Look up in the sky! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s... no, it was just a bird. A blue one in fact. In this level, you can finally use your Air Turn button now (not very useful really...). Press up to speed and down to slow. Stay away from stingray-looking spaceships (lose them by using the Air Turn or speed up.) Just get close to the blue bird in the flock of multi-colored birds and catch him by pressing the punch button. You just want the BLUE bird; no other. This level is sometimes extremely long/hard or extremely short/easy. That’s all to say. Good luck!

BOSS: NONE
Yay! No boss!

~__LEVEL 7__~
Back to the first level... Well, not quite. You start out in a room with spikes on the ceiling. Go across the room, dodging the falling spikes (remember that the ones that fall are the ones near to the end; this rule goes with all ceiling spikes in this level), and punch open the door. Fly over the back orbs and snake warrior. Go past the flames and slowly fly across the pit, dodging more black orbs. (See that snake warrior? Do low punches while on the higher platform to defeat him.) Grab the Uran Lighter and go on ahead past more flames (fly) to another pit with orbs and spikes. Stop the temptation of dashing across (if you hit an orb while dashing, Atom will fall) and just fly across, dodging the orbs (you may need to take hits to make it across; it will just hurt you, not make you drop). Defeat the baddie and punch your way through 2 doors. Time your jumps through the flames and go through another room of orbs and baddie. Another pit is just after that (fly under the orbs) and find yourself next to a baddie (low punch...). Punch the door open (dodge orb) and stand on that edge. See that door up there? Fly, punch it open, and enter to get another heart. Try and fly through the flames to another door. Break it and enter. Pass the orbs and go up the “stairs”. Atlas is waiting...

BOSS: ATLAS
Copycat! He knows how to do the Air Dash too! No matter; let’s show him how a master does it. He’s kinda hard, kinda not. When he is about to Air Dash, you Air Dash him. You both will fall to the ground. Punch him if you wish but Air Dashing is a bit easier (and a bit more safer) Air Dash him whenever you want. Be careful when he uses his weapon (he will curl up in a ball). 16 hits will teach him who’s boss!

~__LEVEL 8__~
Finally, the last level. Let’s end this madness, okay? It’s another haunted mansion. I’m kinda getting tired of typing and this level is not complex. I’ll just do a quick run through this level. You guys won’t mind if I did a huge run-on sentence, will you? ;^^ Go forward defeat baddies, over pit, grab energy, pit with 4 orbs, grab energy can (full health), defeat more baddies, jump and dodge lasers, more baddies, a laser and pit, baddies with an energy can (full health), laser, pit (large) with a laser at the end, and up ahead is the boss room. Now, let me catch my breath...

BOSS: CYCLONE GUY
This guy is the last boss. (If you are using cheat codes, turn them off before you enter here or the game will freeze. Other things can freeze the game too. *Cough*Emulatorplayers*Cough*, you should use the latest version of your program. Strange that the game only freezes here...) Believe me, this guy is pretty easy if you follow my lead. Do not touch him when he is a cyclone or when his propeller (?) is spinning. When he is on the ground and stomped his foot down (just about to fire orange orbs), crawl under his arm and start doing low punches to his leg (take hits from the orbs). When he is finished firing, get up and run away. He will turn into a cyclone and fly off. His next attack is very hard to dodge so just take the hit. When he appears again, go to the left or right of the screen and dodge the mini cyclones he throws at you. He will disappear again (go to the middle of the screen) and reappear on the left this time. He will start all over with the orange orb attack again. Crawl under his arm and punch away. He will turn redder if he is damaged. He will turn to dust after 32 hits.

Well, congratulations! You have finally beaten the game (with my help of course ^_^)!

~__ENDING STUFF__~
"Thank you for using my guide (I think this is the only guide out there for this game ;^^)! ^_^

Breakman’s website is at http://www.geocities.com/darkmausoleum/ (I’m planning to move it to a different host...)

Good luck with life and God Bless.

~Breakman B)"

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Cool, you should submit that to gamefaqs.com
You can get the movie files hosted at Zophar's Domain - http://www.zophar.net

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

The only problem about Zophar's hosting, I have to update my site often. I update mine every year or so. ;^^

Mark, of course you can post it on your site. (Remember the little rules in the beginning of the walkthrough.) ^_^

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

I meant you could submit the movies to be put in their ZMV section
http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/zmv/

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”