Astroboy series

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
tricky_astral
Kokoro Robot

Postby tricky_astral » 21 years ago

Hey does anyone know where i can find some astroboy episodes to burn for my dvd player??

if so please email me or reply to this or something??????

cheers
astral

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 21 years ago

There are a few episodes on my FTP (see the topic "FTP server" a few posts down), tho they're mostly crap quality, and need to be converted to MPG format to be burnt to a Video CD. If you can handle Japanese/Cantonese voice with Japanese subtitles, I could stick a few episodes that are already in MPG format on the server for ya too.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

I've had a quick look at the French dub of "SOS Titan" and the differences are quite interesting. There is the intro sequence showing the birth of Astroboy before the opening credits, then throughout the episode there is a huge amound of deleted footage. The reporter interviewing people on the Titan at the start is gone (along with all the character development), and the footage of the Titan exploding is removed. I don't think it's just the encoding either, the background music indicates to me it was aired with these changes.

And they all speak French now. :)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Another thing ... all the fight scenes have been removed from the opening sequence. And only the fight scenes.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

After seing all the Japanese episodes, I remember the English episodes we used to see here in Canada had the same thing done to them. To fill up the left-over time at the end of each episode, they made a little game where Astro would report what happened in that episode to the main computer (Geronimo?) at the science center and purposely make a small error in the report. You were supposed to figure it out and write it down tho I doubt anyone actually bothered. There were a few episodes where the characters would do stuff that didn't make sense because they'd cut out something important earlier in the episode.

Since I've only seen about 5 episodes from the US release, I was wondering if any of the episodes came with the special Uran vocal theme ending credits? I know that the Osamu Tezuka intro to Astro's First Love was cut out (I just finished encoding it so everyone can see it. Maybe someone here can translate it even?)
Here's some links to those (copy and paste the text to a new window):
ftp://ast:ast@142.179.63.219:6872/audio/A...%20Japanese.mp3
ftp://ast:ast@142.179.63.219:6872/video_c...irst%20Love.avi

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

That's really interesting. Time padding in the Australian version (and US version?) was either a repeat of the opening sequence or footage of Astro fighting Bruton (Pruto), and always set to an instrumental version of the opening theme.

This was all removed with the official VHS release.

No Australian episodes had Uran's theme with vocals. Astro's First Love was significantly shorter than all the other episodes, there was at least a minute of filler footage at the end when it was shown on TV. I was wondering what they'd cut out of that episode to make it so short.

Where did you get hold of the introduction to Astro's First Love? Did you get it from Japan?

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Cool, I'd like to see that time filler. I bet I'd be able to buy a tape off this guy that has it...
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~roglen/tapetrading.htm

I encoded those 2 files from a Japanese/Cantonese VCD set I won on ebay. Like I said in the FTP thread, if anyone wants any more stuff from them I'd be happy to oblige, it only takes a few minutes to re-encode an episode to AVI. There was definitely tons of censoring and changes made to the Canadian episodes, tho I think the VHS tapes everyone here has were translated and dubbed by a different company.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I'm having some trouble playing Tezuka intro from Astro's First Love.avi. The sound works but all I see is a still picture of a cardboard cutout of Astro. I've just installed Divx 5.0.1.

Cool, I'd like to see that time filler. I bet I'd be able to buy a tape off this guy that has it...

There was no new footage in it, it was just clips of the opening credits and fight scenes from The Greatest Robot In The World. I didn't even keep the tape I had of it.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Hmm, I encoded it in divx 5.0.3 without following a profile, it may need a newer version.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”