Atlas vs Astroboy

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Sparx wrote:i think that Atlas's new look is very cool, but it makes him look more evil.
if you come to think of it Atlas isn't that evil realy he's just lost in life

do you people agree with me?

yes or no?

This version of Atlas makes him Dr. Tenma's pawn. I believe Tenma saw in Diachi's father the same arrogant attitude that he recognised in his own life. That is, Tenma created his robot for his not the robot's benefit. Likewise, Mr. Bigshot business owner's intent for his son that he passed on to the robot, was to be his heir, & take over the business. Neither cared about the needs of their sons or their robots. Thus, Tenma created a robot for the man, that would, rather than fulfill his wishes, teach him a lesson. Tenma still cared not about the robot Diachi, any more than he cared about the man for whom he built him. Once he saw his own beloved robot defeat Atlas, who should have defeated him, he became inspired to use Atlas to force Atom to 'evolve.' Atlas lost either way, whether he should become heir to the business or enemy of Atom. :astro:

The original Atlas (manga #17, volume #18) (1963 anime #26 English title "Don Tay's Infernal Machine") was built for revenge, his creator not caring about his robot's preferences. Just as Pluto was Choki Choki Abbaba's (called "King Saltan" in the synopses page) pawn.

Manga:
#54 Greatest Robot on Earth, The Biggest Robot on Earth (vol. 3)
Dark Horse Preview

1963 anime:
The 116th Episode: The Biggest Robot on Earth (part one)
117th Episode: The Biggest Robot on Earth (part two)

1980s anime:
24th Episode: The Biggest Robot on Earth (part one)
25th Episode: The Biggest Robot on Earth (part two)

English:
50. The Greatest Robot In The World
51. The Greatest Robot In The World

2003:
17th & 18th episodes: Strongest Robot on Earth

English:
13 Rise of Pluto
14 Fall of Archeron
Last edited by jeffbert on Thu May 04, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Who created the original Atlas? :confused: Were they brothers in the manga?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Astro forever wrote:Who created the original Atlas? :confused: Were they brothers in the manga?

Dr. Ram made him.
see http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/manga/sakuhin/subtitle/m025.html #17.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Thanks! :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

jeffbert wrote:The original Atlas (manga #17, volume #18) (1963 anime #26 English title "Don Tay's Infernal Machine") was built for revenge, his creator not caring about his robot's preferences.

I've just seen Don Tay's Infernal Machine and I found it quite interesting. It's the only English version where his name isn't Atlas; it's Ferno. His body design seems to have changed from the manga a bit too, his rocket jet used to come out of his bottom. :confused: :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

DrFrag wrote:I've just seen Don Tay's Infernal Machine and I found it quite interesting. It's the only English version where his name isn't Atlas; it's Ferno. His body design seems to have changed from the manga a bit too, his rocket jet used to come out of his bottom. :confused: :D

Coming out of his ears is weird, but not half as weird as that other robot's arms coming out of his ears. :D

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 18 years ago

no whats weird... i don't get it

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Sparx wrote:no whats weird... i don't get it

We were speaking of the original Atlas having a rocket body that, well, had the flames coming out of his- er backside. Then the manga anime version had rockets spring forth from his ears. The other robot I mentioned had arms where ears should have been. :astro:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Then in the 80s version, as a boy, his jets came out his feet. Then he rebuilt himself and the jets came out his armpits. In the 2003 series the jets come out of his back.

Poor guy can't make up his mind! :D

Astro Forever
Administrator

His mind and goals keep changing, no wonder why! :p :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”