DAMN KIDS WB

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
astroboykickedmyass
Metro City Citizen

Postby astroboykickedmyass » 20 years ago

astro boy is a smart ass apparently and they edited out a few things my favorite is when DR Elefun turns to the Atom sign in the original version it has Atom spelled out, but in this one they zoom in on the scene and shoot only the "ato" part and idont recall the part where astro/atom/atomu is swinging around the dad, I guess they wanted to eleminate the lighthearted comedy and have astro as this "rad" "hip" "cool" robot

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

Yup, they butchered it a little, and made Astro have an attitude <_<
I guess he can kick enough ass that the personality change could be pulled off, but it doesn't seem like astro when he acts like that. I hope they change him back a little as he grows up.

Fobok
Kokoro Robot

Postby Fobok » 20 years ago

I couldn't believe how Astro acted in that. Of course, it's much like how North American 9 and 10-year-olds act, at least those I've encountered at the local game store, so it could just be them trying to make it more believable. To me, he wasn't 'hip' or 'rad', he was just far more arrogant than I expected/hoped.

Edited to add: I hope #tv-nihon continues to make fansubs of the original Japanese episodes. I think I'll be enjoying them a lot more.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

Me too. I didn't mind it THAT much, but I do prefer the Japanese version much more. Plus, I enjoyed watching an english dub AFTER seeing the original. Also, the Japanese them was sooo much better. It just proves you don't have to be DIC to screw up a series.
BTW: Did anyone else notice that Astro sounded alot like Rudy Tabootie from "Chalk Zone?"

Marisa
Kokoro Robot

Postby Marisa » 20 years ago

Is there a chance that somebody taped the episode and can put it on Anapan's FTP? ^_^;;; I fell back asleep after my alarm went off. XD

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

I recorded it. I'm just doing the final preparations to re-encode it to XviD. It will be ready in several hours.
My thoughts are very close to the topic title right now. Kids WB made their logo shimmer on purpose to make removing it cleanly impossible - it's worse than the ones that animate. I had to use the crappy blurring method and it's still got some ugly color noise around it :angry:

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 20 years ago

That sucks that they changed Astro's personality. Well, that means I won't be watching it on TV when it comes to Canada. I don't feel like ranting about people messing with anime because I've done it before so let's just say I'm not a fan of it.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I noticed two things missing: first, only the first three letters of the acronym 'ATOM' were shown. Second, the scene in which Atom went for a walk with the little girl's papa was also missing. It was clearly not an important part of the story, but it did add some humor and show the viewers that Atom was much stronger than normal kids.

Overall, I did not like the thing. Plus, the segments were only :angry: :angry: 5 minutes long :angry: :angry:, making it have 4 segments and three commercial interuptions! I tape the Simpsons, which usually has 3, but the first is right after the opening theme. Its segments are about 7 minutes long. Thus, its continuity is much better.

Spiffy Knight
Metro City Citizen

Postby Spiffy Knight » 20 years ago

Wow.. first episode and they already cut things out? I don't have WB so I was unable to see it... But I did get a chance to DL it from Anapan's FTP, which is awsome!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”