Astro Boy Episode 2: Rocketball

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Marisa
Kokoro Robot

Postby Marisa » 20 years ago

I happen to think this episode was dubbed very well. ^_^ The only problem was Nicholas' voice... I think Candi Milo did both of them, so it was sometimes hard to tell who was talking.

What do you guys think?

Fobok
Kokoro Robot

Postby Fobok » 20 years ago

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the episode today. Much better than in episode 1, this time Astro seemed far more like himself, and I didn't even notice anything missing.

EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 20 years ago

LMAO..My username that I made up two years ago..Im soo going to sue..LOL It was good episode overall.

Why is Tenma so evil? I liked him better as a supportive character.

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 20 years ago

I can see that Astro is going to get into alot of trouble in future episodes the way he always take off and says something else to learn.

astroboykickedmyass
Metro City Citizen

Postby astroboykickedmyass » 20 years ago

the part where astro and elefun were talking bout rules and then astro falls asleep

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

I thought they did a good job. Even though they cut out Astro falling asleep on O'shays lap.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Not to boast, but I for some reason offered an optimistic statement about the then (Jan 23 2004, 02:48 PM) upcoming 2nd episode. Hoping that it might not make him an Astropunk, although I did predict that the jump-rope scenes would be cut, & I do believe that they were at least trimmed in length. DAMN KIDS WB, yeah (page 3). As to whether it made him a brat or not, I just viewed it, but did not get that impression as strongly as the 1st ep., although the rebellious attitude was apparent. But what this means is that when the series does go to DVD, :angry: there will be no Japanese audio option. :angry:

As much as I have all the released Fan Subbed eps., the DVDs usually do have some extra features to entice people into buying them. I do not think I would bother with them, though. The 80s series was mildly edited, and as I noted in another thread, Uran & Uran's song & dance routine was cut from the dub :cry: :cry: ; yet, overall, the character of the characters (no pun intended) remained the same. Atom was depicted as a well-behaved boy, who only disobeyed orders to help people, never for his own pleasure. In Lilly on Peligro Island, The Girl from Alsoar, Robot Vikings, & Robot Land, he disobeys humans or parents but only to help others. Kids WB has made a strong negative first impression.

On that note, I recently viewed an Asimov fan page, and read that there was a story about a robot that fulfilled Asimov' 3 laws by lying to its master--or was it the master's child or wife? However Tezuka's robot laws were slightly different from Asimov's, and absolutely forbid lying, hence, The Lying Robot episode. :D

they cut out Astro falling asleep on O'shays [b]lap.[/b]

If I remember correctly, he was sitting beside the Dr, and fell asleep leaning upon his arm.

:cry: :angry:

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

ah teh Japanese audio option on the DVDs..... yes this a point i have been thinking and wondering and hoping about. It will depend on several things:

1) who releases the DVD (most likely Sony as they have the rights)
2) what dubbing cut they use (KIdsWB one or another which is unlikely)
and MOST importantly 3) The way the dub was made by whoever in (2)

Let me explain. In general when shows are dubbed with the intention to be released on DVD these days the dubbing company will dub the WHOLE episode with no cuts whatsoever. They will then trim it before airing (whether for violence, content, or time reasons). Therefore there is the trimmed TV version but also the uncut dubbed version. When the DVD is made seeing as no footage is cut all that is needed to be done is include both language tracks and subtitles. These days this is the how just about every anime DVD that has both languages and is shown on US/etc TV is done.

The problem comes when the dub is cut BEFORE the new script and voice acting is done. Seeing as most companies can be stuffed re-dubbing you get stuck with a dub only version ¬_¬ for example Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura. Luckily in that case tho Pioneer released sub only DVDs

So i guess we just have to all keep our fingers crossed ^^
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Interesting explanation, Haruka-chan. Where did you get such information? I ask, because I assumed they would not dub any part they were going to cut, as it would be wasted money. I figured that they would first edit the film, to make it fit in the alloted time for an episode, then dub it. If not, they might need to redub it after editing, so that no dialog necessary for understanding what was happening would be missing on the final product. ;)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”