Episode "3"

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
astroboykickedmyass
Metro City Citizen

Postby astroboykickedmyass » 20 years ago

big improvement with the dialouge, but was it necessary to put the 6th episode as the 3rd are they going to cut off 3,4, and 5?

Marisa
Kokoro Robot

Postby Marisa » 20 years ago

It seems to be a KidsWB thing. They did the same thing to Rockman.EXE (Megaman NT Warrior). KidsWB skipped... six episodes, I think, just so they could get to the N1 Grand Prix quicker.

I was at a friend's house, and only caught a glimpse of the episode before we started playing DDR. I hope it's up for download later. :3

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

they also skipped the pilot of Cardcaptors and the entire 1st season of Yugioh, :angry: but it seems to work. :unsure: Anyway, maybe they wanted to get the episode that introduces the only other character that gets made into a toy faster. Though I don't know what the rush quite is. The toys don't come out until the fall.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I think it was done to insure a firm grip upon the audience. While episodes 3-5 of the original were intersting and exiting, bringing Atlas out at this time might be more appealing to young boys than going with the original sequence. I did notice some scenes were edited, and as I mentioned elsewhere, while the original has Atlas built for the same reason as Atom, WB made the character a robot from the start. But some scenes just do not work wellwith this rewrite. The scene where Tokugawa falls upon his knees and begs Tenma to "rebuild the robot" is pushing believabilty, but the one with Daichi as a little boy just makes me laugh. Here he is having a birthday, and depicted in various stages of growth, yet, WB expects us to believe he was a robot the whole time. Moreover, he has some really strong emotions and even hatred of his father that do not work with him being a robot. ;)

Jarx Xun
Metro City Citizen

Postby Jarx Xun » 20 years ago

Why would they even make such a change like this? It seems to be too much trouble for what it's worth and gives no real benefit.
Bad karma bleeding over years of hate, I finally encounter the Buddha. He sends the autumn of my life into the the winter of nothingness. The winter ice melts into clear water, my heart becomes clear in death.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Because little boys find robots more interesting than other little boys. ;)

Jarx Xun
Metro City Citizen

Hmmm. It just DOES not fit, it's so silly. Why does he grow? He's a robot. Why does the dude treat him like a son? What will they do in the next episode? The Father/Son relationship would have been more effective when considering the story and evoking pathos. I dunno.
Bad karma bleeding over years of hate, I finally encounter the Buddha. He sends the autumn of my life into the the winter of nothingness. The winter ice melts into clear water, my heart becomes clear in death.

Marisa
Kokoro Robot

Postby Marisa » 20 years ago

KidsWB obviously changed Daichi's past because they didn't want to force the little kids to deal with death. They would understand a broken robot, not a dead child, at least from KidsWB's point of view. Also, maybe there's some idiot little kid who would try to kill himself so he could come back as a "cool" robot... which leads me to wonder what they're going to do when Tobio's past is explained.

...I downloaded the episode yesterday, and let me tell you, I LOVED it. ^__^ I ADORE how Atlas called Astro "little brother"! Looks like Sony did some research on older American Astroboy after all... though a little too late for Dr. Elefun and Dr. Boynton. >,>

Jarx Xun
Metro City Citizen

Well why would they change that if Astro was made for the same reason? I think maybe they wanted to stay close to the 80s version. Not sure why.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

Here's a listing of what was changed in episodes 1 and 2. The author may be making lists for the others aswell.
http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=99196

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”