What's your favoutire Astroboy series?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
mr skunk
Robot President

Postby mr skunk » 15 years ago

Nice face, very attractive. :p Gotta go with the 80s, and no I'm not just saying that cause Jay is around. I saw the 2003 version first but I honestly didn't like most of it.
"Make like siamese twins and split.... and then one of you die."

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 15 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:[QUOTE=Hikari Tail;84946]1: crappy dub
2: no dept in characters
3: the same rights for Robots-theme and poltics is less in this version then the 2003 one

Demmit, Hikari! Don't rip on the 80's dub when Jay Rath is around!

yes this is the face I made[/QUOTE]

LOL i had no idea he was its better then lying right!............right?

but but its not personal in any way...many shows have bad dubs.
Doesn't make the voice actors bad people..if i would buy a chocolate cake and it did not taste well i would not dislike the one who made it so..

I stop now.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 15 years ago

What could we have done to please you more?

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 15 years ago

hahah its just my view but keep in mind i wachted the 80's version a long time ago and i never gotten into it, so even if the Dub was good i would aviod it anyway.

I' prefer the 2003 and manga most to all

Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?

http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/

Visit my DA account!

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

So, we have someone who doesn't prefer the series he/she saw first :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 15 years ago

Hmm... Well, I read the manga first.
I've seen all of the 80s and the 2003 series.
Well, I do like the Japanese version of the 2003 series (used to rent the tapes from a Japanese grocery store), but I think if I was to pick a favorite, it'd have to be either the 60s or the 80s one.
I just started watching the 60s one (thank you Netflix), and I like it quite a bit. I adore the retro look, and it's many similarities to the manga.
I think I have to go with the 60s one. :]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

Aha! I am not the only Netflix subscriber on this forum. I have borrowed over 1500 discs from NF, & about 300 from BB online, but BB online sent too many broken or unplayable discs, so I finally terminated it. Only NF was sufficiently motivated to do this job properly, I guess for BB, the online business was just not important enough. However, it could have been the staff at BBO's Gaithersburg MD distribution center that was the problem, but I doubt it. :shifty:

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

I've seen some of the 60s show and it is fine.

I think the 80s show has been -- well, hurt. There was a complete, total-series story arc that was ruined because the pilot has never been released, and because episodes are shown out of order. It was supposed to begin and end with Atlas' relationship with Astro.

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 15 years ago

Are you referring to the chronological order that was mapped out for the dub specifically Jayrath?

I know that the episodes on my DVD boxset are presented in the order of the originally intended Japanese chronology and the Atlas storyline ends something like 6 or 7 episodes before the end of the series. But I remember watching the dub on Australian tv and there were only 3 episodes before Atlas said farewell. This included the Greatest Robot in the World 2-part story as the finale, which is presented in the middle of my DVD collection.

I also know that two episodes were joined together and heavily edited to create the pilot episode of the dub. Those two episodes are shown as extras un-cut with English sub-titles, thus revealing the story behind the origin of Atlas that was previously a mystery to us.
Last edited by MightyAstro on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"MightyAstro" wrote:Are you referring to the chronological order that was mapped out for the dub specifically Jayrath?

I know that the episodes on my DVD boxset are presented in the order of the originally intended Japanese chronology and the Atlas storyline ends something like 6 or 7 episodes before the end of the series. But I remember watching the dub on Australian tv and there were only 3 episodes before Atlas said farewell. This included the Greatest Robot in the World 2-part story as the finale, which is presented in the middle of my DVD collection.

I also know that two episodes were joined together and heavily edited to create the pilot episode of the dub. Those two episodes are shown as extras un-cut with English sub-titles, thus revealing the story behind the origin of Atlas that was previously a mystery to us.

I have to get my scripts out of storage, and I will. But yes, as I recall it, the series closed with Atlas' farewell. It ended all of the conflict that began in the pilot.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”