Manga vs. Anime vs. Misc.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

I have no clue how I've really avoided all exposure to Tezuka and Astro-Boy my whole life. So, after glowing reviews of the GBA game I picked it up (a fantastic game btw), but found I was really enjoying the story. Knowing my local comic store had some 20+ issues and knowing they were classic (I'd browed through them from time to time, never long enough though to realize how great they were), I started purchasing them, and very quickly realized just what a fantastic thing Tezuka was doing.

That out of the way, I've heard all the discussion about the upcoming DVD box and looked at some of the streaming video. The 60's version looks spot-on but of course that's unavailable...

I guess what I'm getting at in my round-about way is whether these other Astro Boy series live up to the manga--are they still great but just different? Are most people on this board more fans of the film than the manga? Is there an obvious 'you must check these things out right away' list, followed by a number of less 'essential' but still good list?

Oh, eh, anyway, a nice forum. Glad to see so many people really diggin' Astro Boy.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

rock
Kokoro Robot

Postby rock » 19 years ago

First of all get the english translated manga by darkhorse find as many episodes of the shows and avoid the new toys at all costs.
It that makes you dance all day? what a WEIRD drug!
Mr. Mustashio

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Thanks for responding...I've actually been thoroughly devouring the manga and just didn't know how well the anime lived up. Of course, I imagine more folks are anime fans since the manga has only been recently published for the first time in the US. I guess what I was wondering about more was what people here thought was the really essential 'you've gotta check this out now' material, be it anime, other books by Tezuka, or whatever...
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

There are three generations or incarnations of Atom in the video format. How could I prefer one over the other? OK, if you want one with an on going story get the 2003 from eBay or some other source that sells pirated video. Note that this is illegal, & might land you in jail, but I doubt it. It is just a shame that the WB wrecked the English dub & ended cancelling the show. Anyway, the last 5 episodes of the 2003 borrow heavily from the manga Blue Knight story (volume 19).

As far as the 60s goes, 30th anniversary VHS tapes 1-6 are highly reccommended.

The 60s adhered closest to the manga in terms of humorous elements, the 80s had some, while 2003 had none. :cry:

Uranium is cutest in the 80s, she sings & dances just like Shirly Temple; however, her funniest dance was cut by the #*%~ English editors.

some of the stories are darker than those (36 that I have seen of the ~90 translated) of the 60s.

I could continue, but I have been sitting here for too long.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 19 years ago

I prefer the Manga and new anime best.

starrgazing
Kokoro Robot

Postby starrgazing » 19 years ago

i preferred MANGA... best seller here in the Philippines
<span style=\'color:maroon\'><span style=\'font-size:12pt;line-height:100%\'>UNITED COLORS</span></span>
[url=\'http://www.manilatonight.com\']MTC Forum[/url]

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”