metropolis

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 19 years ago

last night on adult swim i saw metropolis.....well some of it becuase i fell asleep.

anyway, when i started watchin it i noticed the graphics......just like astroboy.

then, i noticed one person in particular. it was that detective guy and since i havent seen or played anything astroboy in a while i forgot his name. but i also remembered the city's name. metropolis.

i wasnt really paying much attention in the beginning so i wasnt sure if it was made by tezuka.

nevermind...i just looked in the characters section on this site and saw daddy walrus. exactly who i was looking for.

but, did tezuka create it?

(its not that bad that i fell asleep last night, i can rent it free!!!! from the library :P )
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

otaku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby otaku » 19 years ago

yes he did Metropoils is based on the Comic book Metropoils of
Tezuka in the 40st
i`m getting the Manga in a week or 2
i saw on my Metroipols Dvd Rock in the ornignal nolvel was not in the story
and Tima was a boy i think...

anyway this old Comic book is were Astroboy is based of
ImageImage

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 19 years ago

hey if u want a smaller sig take mine..............

http://www3.telus.net/anapan8/atom/atom.gif
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Hmmm, Metropolis is a really strange take on Tezuka; all arguments about quality aside it is a poor adaptation of Metropolis that has almost nothing to do with the original story. I _did_ find the film enjoyable but had to keep in mind that it 1) had nothing to do with the manga and 2) nothing really to do with Tezuka. One of the creators of Akira was involved in this film, and I think that says a great deal. There is a lot of somber heaviness to this film that Tezuka never would have incorporated into his work.

All that said, Metropolis is hardly Tezuka's best work; it certainly seems like a strange one to chose for making a movie out of.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Ray_the_canadian
Metro City Citizen

Postby Ray_the_canadian » 19 years ago

I bought the metropolis dvd last year and saw it 3 years ago as well. I think its a very good anime, actually one the best looking anime I have ever seen. Each cel took 2 hours to draw and there are 150,000 cels in the movie. Alot of work has gone into it. Im not sure how close to the 40's (1949 I believe) manga comic it is, but I have ordered it through the public library. The director of the anime worked with Tezuka on the 60's astroboy and Kimba. You will notice other characters from astro boy in the anime such as Skunk, Boon and Rock. Its a very good story non the less and I thought Ray Charle's "can't stop loving you" had a very good emotional impact at the end of the film. Its pretty much a different version of Astro Boy.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

I just watched the extras disk, at least part of it. Rintar said that T would not allow him to do this film while he lived, apparently because he disliked his earlier works.

One thing I noticed, though, was that the romot Tima had been created in the likeness of D Red's deceased daughter, clearly borrowed from Atom (at least I do not remember this from the manga). Furthermore, Atom 2003 borrowed from this film the idea of a robot made to rule humans.

Other than these, I do not remember much from the film, except that every time I heard R Charles sing that song, I became saddened at the memory of the film's end. :lol:

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 19 years ago

I rented it once, but didn't finish watching it though. It was hard to follow with sub title in the movie. I wish they had an english translation for it.

Ray_the_canadian
Metro City Citizen

Postby Ray_the_canadian » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Big Astro Fan@May 16 2005, 01:38 PM
I rented it once, but didn't finish watching it though.  It was hard to follow with sub title in the movie.  I wish they had an english translation for it.

ummm yes there is. When you put in the dvd you have to go to set up and put it on english and no sub title before watching it. There is only 1 version of the dvd, no others, in north america that is.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Big Astro Fan@May 16 2005, 01:38 PM
I rented it once, but didn't finish watching it though.

Same here. It didn't grab me at all.

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Ray_the_canadian@May 16 2005, 05:21 AM
Im not sure how close to the 40's (1949 I believe) manga comic it is, but I have ordered it through the public library.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue about the quality of the movie (that's always subjective--and I've had too many debates with Cybotron to bother with that line anyway :D ). Rather, I just don't think the film feels very much like a Tezuka story and it certainly has almost NOTHING to do with the manga. It doesn't help this is among my least liked Tezuka stories...

They NEED to do a big production of Phoenix: Future (they may have done another version at some point, but I mean a BIG production! ;) That would be AWESOME!
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”