Pluto by Naoki Urasawa (SPOILERS)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

This is the most awesome manga I have ever read:

http://souhaku.free.fr/index.php?go=series&id_manga=43

It's a fan's variation on The Greatest Robot in the World. I'm about half way through it. IMO, it surpasses Tezuka's work on every level.

EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 19 years ago

I made a topic about this a while back..
Pluto manga
I haven't been keeping up on the releases, because I thought it got licensed already. Thanks for the link.
I also read somewhere that Urasawa won a Tezuka award for this manga..and he won last year with "Monster". I remember reading that he was asked to do a tribute to Tezuka's works and he said he didn't want to do just a short story for it. He wanted to put a lot of energy into it, because Tezuka always did.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Aug 5 2005, 08:07 AM
This is the most awesome manga I have ever read:

http://souhaku.free.fr/index.php?go=series&id_manga=43

It's a fan's variation on The Greatest Robot in the World. I'm about half way through it. IMO, it surpasses Tezuka's work on every level.

I just began reading this, & I think it flows from right to left. :o

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Stupid SP-2 will not let me unzip #13! It says I can 'unblock' the file by right-clicking and changing a check box, but there is no check box indicating 'blocked.' :cry: #14 is not even a .zip file. :angry: I had not thought of myself as a technophobe, but I am baffled. There is no way I can find to turn off this feature of the security system. :cry:

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 19 years ago

Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing an anime version of this.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by EvilGenki@Aug 6 2005, 12:02 AM
I made a topic about this a while back..
Pluto manga

Sorry, I must have missed that one. :(

I just began reading this, & I think it flows from right to left.

Yes, it took me a few pages to figure that out. :)

Stupid SP-2 will not let me unzip #13! It says I can 'unblock' the file by right-clicking and changing a check box, but there is no check box indicating 'blocked.' #14 is not even a .zip file. I had not thought of myself as a technophobe, but I am baffled. There is no way I can find to turn off this feature of the security system.

I use WinZip (there's a free trial available) and it handles #13. #14 is a RAR archive, I used the old DOS unrar.exe for that.

Interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing an anime version of this.

Yeah, that would be awesome. He puts in a lot of "thinking" scenes. Ones where there's no talking or action but you know in an anime it would be a thought provoking pause or an establishing shot or whatever. The quality's amazing.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Aug 5 2005, 11:19 PM
Stupid SP-2 will not let me unzip #13! It says I can 'unblock' the file by right-clicking and changing a check box, but there is no check box indicating 'blocked.' :cry: #14 is not even a .zip file. :angry: I had not thought of myself as a technophobe, but I am baffled. There is no way I can find to turn off this feature of the security system. :cry:

SP2 had caused me nothing but troubles, hence I de-installed it. I couldn't even do printouts in 1200 dpi resolution.
I rather do my Windows-updates manually than getting annoyed about programs not working because of SP2's incompatibility of.

B) Great manga style, BTW!
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I got WinZip, & it worked on those files. Upon reading #13, I saw some similar themes to other Astroboy stories, most in the 2003.

Brando was a robot who with his wife had adopted children. The 2003's 11th story, Robot Circus (Engl 22nd) dealt with enraged humans believing that robots that had actually served as parents for a boy had abducted him. When informed otherwise, they were no less pi**ed.

zip 13-22 covered false memories in robots. As it was here, the German robot had been 1 of the 7 classified as WMDs and built just before a ban went into effect. Being troubled by memories of events he was sure never occurred, he asked the technician who examined him if his memories had been altered.

:lol:

I like this story.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Acts 22 & 23 have been added since I last visited the site, but no acts have links. ;) It has been so long, I forgot how I was able to download the last time.

StellDream
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby StellDream » 18 years ago

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”