I Jst Got the Astroboy 80's DVD Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Mdlbigcat
Metro City Citizen

Postby Mdlbigcat » 18 years ago

Gentlemen [and Ladies],

I just got back from Tower Records with my copy of the
80's Astroboy [title: ASTRO BOY - A Hero For All Ages]. The collection is on 8 DVD's with a 24 page book that tells Tezuka's story, and gives us a good glance of some of his other work.

Tonight, when I get home from work, I will play some of the DVD's and check out some of the episodes. Also I will compare some of these episodes with the 2004 version in which I also own.

Anyone got any episodes to recommend watching?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

:wahah:

How about starting from the beginning? The order doesn't really matter, but his birth, Astro vs Atlas, the circus episode and "Save the Classmate" are supposed to be in this order. We had conflicting information regarding the extras, but hopefully you will find the first two complete episodes in Japanese with English subtitles, because half of them was cut to create the first English episode. :(

Also, Atlas Forever is a great episode, but it's supposed to be watched at the end of all the episodes Atlas is in. If you watch it too soon, it probably won't be as meaningful. I'm assuming you haven't watched the series at all, but then I might be wrong. ;)

Enjoy! :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Nov 22 2005, 03:14 PM
:wahah:

How about starting from the beginning? The order doesn't really matter, but his birth, Astro vs Atlas, the circus episode and "Save the Classmate" are supposed to be in this order. We had conflicting information regarding the extras, but hopefully you will find the first two complete episodes in Japanese with English subtitles, because half of them was cut to create the first English episode. :(

Also, Atlas Forever is a great episode, but it's supposed to be watched at the end of all the episodes Atlas is in. If you watch it too soon, it probably won't be as meaningful. I'm assuming you haven't watched the series at all, but then I might be wrong. ;)

Enjoy! :D

I hate to dash your hopes to pieces, but the only Japanese in the extras is in the deleted scenes; there were no episodes 1 or 2 in Japanese with or without subtitles among the extras. Young Atlas' only appearance on this set is in the line art section & perhaps in a flashback in some episode. :angry: I could say more, but as Atoman owns the set, & has watched more of it than I have, I will leave it to him to fill in the sordid details. :D I only watched the extras. :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by jeffbert@Nov 22 2005, 04:14 PM
I hate to dash your hopes to pieces, but the only Japanese in the extras is in the deleted scenes; there were no episodes 1 or 2 in Japanese with or without subtitles among the extras. Young Atlas' only appearance on this set is in the line art section & perhaps in a flashback in some episode. :angry: I could say more, but as Atoman owns the set, & has watched more of it than I have, I will leave it to him to fill in the sordid details. :D I only watched the extras. :lol:

The "sordid details"! :lol: I love how you put it!

Can you tell us which deleted scenes were included? I'm just curious... I won't buy it anyway since I already own Madman's.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Here are the few I remember:

Tezuka introducing episode #52, which was called "Astro's 1st love" in the English. For those who do not already know, this was about our little hero's new (girl's) legs.

The scene with U Vs U arguing in a song & dance about which one was going to school & which one was going wrestling.

I think the rest were rather short clips, & by no means were all the deleted scenes included.

Astro Forever
Administrator

How about Walrus getting mad at Astro because he lost Uran?

Shychick
Kokoro Robot

Postby Shychick » 18 years ago

I am so mad!!! I got it just tonight too, expecting to find the original uncut back-to-back eps, Birth of AB/Astro vs. Atlas, like it said on Amazon. NOPE! It didn't even show any of the missings scenes from that ep/those eps in the Deleted Scenes section. It didn't show Tobio on his deathbed, Atlas's creation, the battle between the two young robots during, NOTHING- let alone the full-length eps! I was very upset. I was so sure they would include both eps, uncut, because that's how it was on the Madman release, wasn't it? &%$&, WHY?? Would it have killed Manga to do the same for the North American release?? :angry: :angry:

Interesting, though... I watched the Jap. version of Birth of AB, and it did include an extra scene that wasn't on the VHS... Astro saving a bunch of people from a burning buikding, after taking on that robot-car thing. But that was it.

I am, however, quite pleased that all the eps are in both English and Japanese dialogue after all. :D

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Shychick@Nov 23 2005, 12:49 AM
I am so mad!!! I got it just tonight too, expecting to find the original uncut back-to-back eps, Birth of AB/Astro vs. Atlas, like it said on Amazon. NOPE! It didn't even show any of the missings scenes from that ep/those eps in the Deleted Scenes section. It didn't show Tobio on his deathbed, Atlas's creation, the battle between the two young robots, NOTHING! I was very upset. I was so sure they would include both eps, uncut, because that's how it was on the Madman release, wasn't it? &%$&, WHY?? Would it have killed Manga to do the same for the North American release?? :angry: :angry:

Yes, it was on Madman's release.

Interesting, though... I watched the Jap. version of Birth of AB, and it did include an extra scene that wasn't on the VHS... Astro saving a bunch of people from a burning buikding, after taking on that robot-car thing. But that was it.

That's because you had the Canadian version, right? You'll have a lot of fun discovering new scenes in every episode! :lol: If you are like me, you'll probably be mad to realized how much we had missed at the same time though... ;)

I am, however, quite pleased that all the eps are in both English and Japanese dialogue after all. :D

Oh, they are??!!!! :o THAT is a nice feature!!!! :D Are there subtitles available when you watch the episodes in Japanese? I wonder if those little scenes that were cut in the English dubbing are there, I mean those where there was no dialogue of course.

Shychick
Kokoro Robot

Postby Shychick » 18 years ago

Whoops, that was me, forgot to log in.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”