I Jst Got the Astroboy 80's DVD Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

Some small issue I would like to make clear. Manga slightly screws up the english audio in the American Intro. For thsoe who've seen the english opening, you'll notice the opening song, it takes less time for the lyrics to start, so it just is out of sync with the animation. Not a big issue, just thought I'd point it out. (Only noticable if you have the original opening anyways). Ending song's fine though.

Another annoying thing is on the japanese subs, Atom is called, Astro Boy. Thjis is funny because the subs sitll call him Tobio during episode 1,2, and 3(Ep 1 and 2 on the boxset). But other then those two minor complaitns, I'm very content with how Manga handeled this release. Yes, true they didn't redub it, which has the cuts you all may know about. However, it was handeled well on the japanese audio. Didn't notice any hiccups or anything.

Also, I want to make one last thing clear. The booklet lists the english episode order THEN the japanese episode order. Though, something bugs me about the episode order though for the english list. But ah well.

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Normally I don't double post, but I thoguht I'd just do it to show this:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Nov 29 2005, 07:35 PM
Also, I want to make one last thing clear. The booklet lists the english episode order THEN the japanese episode order. Though, something bugs me about the episode order though for the english list. But ah well.

If you have doubts, here is the list. DrFrag (I think) pointed out that putting The Runaway Subway Train before The Great Meltdown didn't make sense! :lol:

I've watched the series in French and I had never thought the series wasn't supposed to finish by "The Greatest Robot in the World" and "Atlas Forever". I also never realized that the song was out of sync with the animation either, because the last two notes happened exactly when Astro landed and raised his hand, so it looked like a perfect timing to me! :D

Thank you for the screenshots. The funny thing is that I've had the set in my hand at the store earlier today, but I was in a hurry. I was suprised at how small it was, at least 3 times slimmer than Madman's! :o

I think it might be a good idea to make a list of both Madman's and Manga Entertainment's deleted scenes, just so we know exactly which has what. I'm willing to do the former, but I don't own the latter, so if somebody feels like doing it, let's go. :)

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Here's what I remember.

During the Uran the Tomboy episode, the scene where Astro introduces the audience with his formal outfit and bows is there, including one of the later scenes that was also cut out (where he bows and such after meeting Gumshoe, I think.)

Another one was Uran's song when she meets her "look alike". (Which I'm surprised on the length of the cut o_o;; )

Another episode is where a girl begins to say that "Atom is going to leave me..." (Not absolutly sure which episode. You see her holding a sword and such, and then Atom-tachi was looking around and notice a boat(theire's?) going away)

And of course, the scene misssing from "Astro's first love" is there. There's obviously more, but that's all I remember specifically. And unfortently, no scenes are there for episode 1 and 2.

Out of curiosity, was there an english audio track for "Uran no THEME"? If so, then it's missing from the english audio, though it's left intact on the japanese audio. (The video's are all left intact for the episodes that have this. Though I haven't watched all the specific sid episodes.)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Thanks.

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Nov 30 2005, 07:54 AM
Out of curiosity, was there an english audio track for "Uran no THEME"? If so, then it's missing from the english audio, though it's left intact on the japanese audio. (The video's are all left intact for the episodes that have this. Though I haven't watched all the specific sid episodes.)

Uran's theme in the English version has no lyrics, it's just an instrumental version, but it exists.

Here is the list of the deleted scenes, as written on Madman's extras DVD (I wouldn't want to confuse anybody who might be thinking of buying Manga Entertainment's box set since this is what this topic is about, so just to make sure it's clear, this is NOT the list of deleted scenes in the North American version, it's the Australian's).

[Comments between brackets are mine.]

#7 The Red Cat
The electrocution of Professor Leopold, as a result of making contact with Astroboy, was slightly modified in the english version.

#9 The White Planet
In the original episode, title screens are featured throughout the race. Play this clip to view the translations. (no sound)

#13 Uran the Tomboy
This deleted scene features Daddy Walrus getting quite angry at Astro for losing Uran.

#13 Uran the Tomboy
The Japanese closing credits for this episode features an alternative sequence recounting the arrival of Uran and also uses her theme for the closing song, "Uran's Theme".

#14 Robio and Robiette
When Robio takes a spear through his arm, the original scene was slightly longer than its english language counterpart.

#21 The Liar Robot
The locals don't appreciate being lied to! And they take too kindly to robots who 'cry wolf'. [I assume they meant "do *not* take too kindly"...]

#29 Uran's Twin
This cute song and dance duet, by Uran and her new identical twin, did not make the cut of the final English language version.

#29 Uran's Twin
Another alternative ending credits sequence was created for this episode featuring Uran in a variety of different outfits!

#31 The Return of Queen Cleopatra
Many cuts were made throughout this episode Most of them feature characters getting hit with powerful energy blasts! [3 scenes included]

#36 Lilly on Peligro Island
The original version of this episode features some extended shots of a headless Astro and one very embarrassed turtle! [2 scenes included]

#37 The Man-Made Solar Sphere [incorrectly titled "The Anti-Proton Gun"]
Astro gets to kick some extra butt with his new and improved limbs!

#39 Blackie Young
During the visit to the factory, Blackie Young and his cronies manage to fire off a few extras shots in the original version.

#44 Uran's Quest
Another song by Uran which didn't make the English version. This time it occurs during Uran's search for the robot god and features a parody segment on different cultural beliefs.

#51 Astro's First love
The original introduction of this episode features the 'God of Comics' himself, informing us of a little known fact about our robot hero, which will answer all your questions about Astroboy and why he is always wearing those red boots!

You know what, I had always assumed that the numbers before the titles were the episode's number, but almost all of them don't match the Japanese order nor the English order. :wacko: So what are they for?! :huh:

The scene with Daddy Walrus in Uran the Tomboy (probably deleted because Daddy Walrus wears a Japanese outfit), Uran singing with her twin, Uran's song in Uran's Quest and Tezuka in Astro's first love are the most important ones in my opinion. Both scenes of Lilly on Peligro Island are funny too (the turtle one is short but hilarious! :lol: ). Then there are the two closing credits with Uran's theme, and the rest are very short clips that don't really add much (in my opinion).

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Ah. The Uran no THEME is left intact on the Manga release. BTW, Manga did an interesting thing when extending the original ending sogn to match it. (Sense apparently the song didn't have an english version)

EDIT: Oh and for the "#9 The White Planet Deleted Scene" part, It's translated on the manga release.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by ChibiGoku+Nov 30 2005, 03:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ChibiGoku @ Nov 30 2005, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Ah. The Uran no THEME is left intact on the Manga release. BTW, Manga did an interesting thing when extending the original ending sogn to match it. (Sense apparently the song didn't have an english version)[/b]

No, that's probably why they cut the part where Uran was arguing with her twin, otherwise they would have had to write lyrics.

<!--QuoteBegin--ChibiGoku
@Nov 30 2005, 03:03 PM
EDIT: Oh and for the "#9 The White Planet Deleted Scene" part, It's translated on the manga release.[/quote]
You mean during the episode?

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Yeah.

Astro Forever
Administrator

I've just bought it too! The booklet looks identical to Madman's (I haven't compared them side by side). I like the design of the disks a lot better, they are all different. It's funny though, there are two who have Tobio (the human one) on them, but neither are on disk 1! :P Actually, Devil King and Walpur Giss aren't on any episode of the disks their picture is on. ChibiGoku had posted the scan of disk 4, which has Livian on it, but I've just realized it's Livian as a maid - and she's never a maid in this set! :lol: Well, except in the characters gallery I suppose, because that's where the pics on the disks seem to come from.

I haven't started watching it, so that's all I can say. That should be fun! :wahah:

Astro Forever
Administrator

I've just watched the extras. Astro in the kimono is there!!! :wahah: So is Daddy Walrus getting angry at Astro in Uran the Tomboy! :D There are a few that weren't in Madman's extras.

I've watched Lilly on Peligro Island, and the turtle is back in the episode. :P I believe I've seen one, maybe two other little additions right in the episode, so there are probably more little seconds here and there. So even though the extras by themselves aren't that impressive, it looks like many little deleted scenes are back into the episode. I'm enjoying the subtitles too. B)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”