I Jst Got the Astroboy 80's DVD Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
thor-kal
Kokoro Robot

Postby thor-kal » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Atoman@Nov 25 2005, 05:14 AM

First the bad news:

No Atlas Boy! :( That's right no Japanese episode 1 and 2 as in the Ausie box set. I don't know why they couldn't put it on extra's disc, so dissapointing <_< but at least I have the Japanese and Ausie box sets that have it.

Next the deleted scenes are not as much as the Ausie version, no Uran's song and dance about religion from Uran's Quest. :(

Am I understanding correctly that you are saying the US version is more edited than the Aussie version? or the other way around.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Welcome! :)

Originally posted by thor-kal+Dec 10 2005, 06:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thor-kal @ Dec 10 2005, 06:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Atoman@Nov 25 2005, 05:14 AM

First the bad news:

No Atlas Boy! :( That's right no Japanese episode 1 and 2 as in the Ausie box set. I don't know why they couldn't put it on extra's disc, so dissapointing <_< but at least I have the Japanese and Ausie box sets that have it.

Next the deleted scenes are not as much as the Ausie version, no Uran's song and dance about religion from Uran's Quest. :(

Am I understanding correctly that you are saying the US version is more edited than the Aussie version? or the other way around.[/b][/quote]
It depends. The first 2 Japanese episodes were mixed into one episode in the English version. Madman (the Australian version) has those full Japanese episodes with subtitles. Manga Entertainment (the US version) doesn't, and we're talking about around 20 minutes here.

For everything else however, Manga is better than Madman; they added everything they could that was in the Japanese version that wouldn't make watching the episodes in English look strange, plus they added a few scenes in the extras.

Basically, if you only take a look at the deleted scenes included as extras, at first glance Madman's version is at lot better. But most of what is in Madman's extras was put back in the episodes by Manga Entertainment, which is why Manga's version is overall better for these 50 episodes. There is one scene that I know of so far that is on Madman's version that is not on Manga Entertainment's, and this is a song by Uran in Uran's Quest. But there are many, many little scenes in Manga Entertainment's version that aren't on Madman's.

Also, Manga Entertainment included the Japanese audio! :D Madman didn't.

Edit: To conclude, it's hard to say which one is better. It depends on what's important to the viewer.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Astro forever@Dec 10 2005, 06:54 PM
There is one scene that I know of so far that is on Madman's version that is not on Manga Entertainment's, and this is a song by Uran in Uran's Quest.

I had forgotten about the Queen of Peligro Island laughing with Astro's head in her hands.

thor-kal
Kokoro Robot

THis is indeed hard. As I do own the Madman set. I may even get the US set as well.

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

It shouldn't be too hard a decision to pick up the manga set after already purchasing the REALLY EXPENSIVE madman set. The manga set retails at $30 here in the US, and can be had from 3rd party vendors off Amazon for $20. I think I can spend $20 more to have all those little deleted scenes and subtitles/original language.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Dec 12 2005, 06:15 AM
It shouldn't be too hard a decision to pick up the manga set after already purchasing the REALLY EXPENSIVE madman set. The manga set retails at $30 here in the US, and can be had from 3rd party vendors off Amazon for $20. I think I can spend $20 more to have all those little deleted scenes and subtitles/original language.

I agree. If this one had been as expensive as the Madman set, I wouldn't have bought it. Anyway, personally, I'd rather have a second version of Astroboy than a DVD set of any other childhood cartoon. I'm a big enough fan for that! :wahah:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

..and now we have the 60's box to look forward to.

Where's my Kimba box???
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

Astro Forever, I have to apologize about not explaining this earlier. In your screenshot topic you posted some of the manga pictures. The reason the colors looked a bit more washed out is due to our television standards are different, which produces a slightly different color. (though will look almost identical on a regular tv set, you'll notice the difference more on a Computer moniter and such)

NTSC literally means "Never the same color", thus the color standard isn't as set as the PAL, which I believe has a standard color set. There's also SECAM but that's similar enough to PAL that PAL tvs support it.

But yes, the Astroboy R2-J DVDs are exactly likethe Manga DVDs, in terms of coloring, so even if you did end up spending 30,000yen(right price?) on each set, you'd be only getting the same color, though there's all the deleted scenes. (obviously, being the original).

By the way. For whoever owns the R2 JPN DVD set, can someone tell me if the english episode 1 was included on their? If so, which version of this was included?

EDIT: Oh and, I get my replacement DVD today B)

thor-kal
Kokoro Robot

I think I will get this set when I can.

Its not that much anyway. :)

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Dec 13 2005, 03:05 AM
NTSC literally means "Never the same color", ...

I thought it was "Never Twice the Same Color", and that it was a backronym, therefore not official. According to the Wikipedia, NTSC stands for National Television System(s) Committee.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”