New user to the board XD

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Postby jennytablina » 18 years ago

Hey I hope you dont mind but I didnt see a introductions topic or anything so I thought I'ld post just to introduce myself ^_^;;. I'm an Astro fan from England, been hooked since they first aired the anime here on the BBC. Snice then been looking into the manga and other cartoon series.

Nice to meet you all ^_^

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

Hello and welcome :D
Which version did you see first? 1980 or 2000?
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Welcome! :D It's nice to see Astro has fans in England too! :)

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Originally posted by fafner@Dec 21 2005, 08:23 PM
Hello and welcome :D
Which version did you see first? 1980 or 2000?

2000, I saw the first episode by pure chance and kept watching it. It stopped airing here just before it got to the Pluto Episodes. I got the DVD set while in Florida and was surprised to find 52 episodes on it XD.

Still havent seen the 80's series yet, waiting to watch it on DVD. From a new watchers POV will I find this series better?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jennytablina@Dec 21 2005, 02:01 PM
Still havent seen the 80's series yet, waiting to watch it on DVD. From a new watchers POV will I find this series better?

The 2000 version is far better regarding the quality of drawings, as most recent anime technics using computers could be used.
Many people agree that the storylines are better and deeper in the 1980 version, while the 2000 version is a more common-ground story. On the other hand, the 2000 version has a general plot that the 1980 version lacks.
You may prefer or not the 2000, the general consensus is that people prefer the version they first saw :D

There is also a 1960 version, in black and white. Some people say this one is the best because it has this special humor found in mangas that the 2 other versions lack, but I haven't seen enough episodes to know about that. Other people here have a better knowledge of this version and may give you more details if you want ;)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jennytablina@Dec 21 2005, 08:01 AM

I'm everything but objective on that question. As fafner said, people tend to prefer the version they first saw. :) I have nothing to add to what he said.

But I'm curious about what then 2000 fans will think of the 1980 series, so I'll be happy to read what you and others will have to say about it. ;)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Blimey! (whatever that means) Its a bloke from Mother England. Welcome, my friend. I have seen the complete series (all 3 of them), & would rather have the 1960s' 193 episodes in Japanese than the English version of the 2003.

Tezuka had a knack for physical comedy, that knows no language barriers, & that humor was abundant in the 1960s, occasional in the 80s, & absent in 2003 (note that T died in the late 80s).

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Originally posted by jeffbert@Dec 22 2005, 02:54 AM
Blimey! (whatever that means) Its a bloke from Mother England. Welcome, my friend. I have seen the complete series (all 3 of them), & would rather have the 1960s' 193 episodes in Japanese than the English version of the 2003.

Tezuka had a knack for physical comedy, that knows no language barriers, & that humor was abundant in the 1960s, occasional in the 80s, & absent in 2003 (note that T died in the late 80s).

Bloke? I'm a lady! : O

Also Blimey doesnt really have a meaning, it's like something you just say when surprised at something XD

People really make the 60's series sound like it's really somethin, I guess I better save for the 60's set sometime soon XD

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 18 years ago

Welcome to the boards! Like you, the first series I watched was the 2003 version. Probably because the earlier series weren't avaliable in the United States. But I read the manga long before I knew it existed. (Actually, only a month or two.) I own both the 80's version and the new version. I just started with the 80's, so I can't tell you much about it. It's great so far. :D Some people here are old enough to have seen the 80's series on TV, but I am about 10 or 11 years too late! :cry: Once again, nice to meet you, jennytablina.
-Natarii

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 18 years ago

Welcome good friend and Merry Christmas!
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”