How did you discover Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
8-Bit Star
Kokoro Robot

Postby 8-Bit Star » 17 years ago

Now, during my first anime craze back in 1998, I had really wanted to see Astro Boy but never got the chance. No stores sold tapes, and I didn't know jack about ordering online back then.

Sometime last year (or maybe it was earlier this year, I forget) I was in an anime mood, but I have a very limited anime collection and had already seen everything I had. So I went to Hastings, and they had a used boxed set of the 1980s Astro Boy. Now, by this point my interest had kinda waned, and I wasn't really big on Tezuka yet--I thought he was like George Lucas or Walt Disney: just another guy who wrote mediocre stories that just happened to be commercially successful (oh how wrong I was!) but I needed a new anime, and this was a complete series, and I was in the mood for something shonen, which is just what I thought AB would be: "Oh, he'll fight villains, go into impassioned speeches about the power of friendship, and save the day. Yea, it'll at least be fun."

So I payed a whole $17.99 for it, and entered a whole new world from which I've never returned. Astro Boy went on to become my favorite anime, replacing even Ranma 1/2 (which had been my #1 ever since I got into anime). Today I'm trying my best to get my hands on as much Tezuka stuff as possible. I've even considered getting the Dark Horse Astroboy comics (I had previously vowed to only get manga in Japanese, but I might make an exception for Tezuka).

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

i'm galed to hear that :) it was a very intersting story 8-bit star.

it's kinda wierd how i got intersted in astro boy :rolleyes:

i was just looking for some cool looking amine carttons to draw and i saw astro boy, in the end i ended up drawing astro boy becuase was cool :cool: most people say he's guy :shifty: anyway a few weeks later i got up about 5.00Am as i always do :D and wanted to watch some T.V, as soon as i truned on the T.V astro boy was on, then i thought i will watch it and i did, then after that i realy liked astro boy :w00t:

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 17 years ago

On 1992, he was in last page of a Dragon Ball manga, illustrating an article. Then, some time after (1998 or so), I read a whole story of Astroboy in a manga fanzine, and I got interested.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

"Sparx" wrote: anyway a few weeks later i got up about 5.00Am as i always do :D

Ok thats weird, :lol: 5AM. I mean 7AM

crazyd2000
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby crazyd2000 » 17 years ago

Everybody whos been here 6 onths should know for me, but for those who dont, My dad worked on the 80's series

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

That's so cool. :cool:

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 17 years ago

"crazyd2000" wrote:Everybody whos been here 6 onths should know for me, but for those who dont, My dad worked on the 80's series

Let me remember. You even showed a a nice photograph... He was one of the voice actors, isn't it? Do I remember well?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

I think he was a sound engineer or something like that.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

"DrFrag" wrote:That's so cool. :cool:

Yeah so true :cool:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”