something i'd like to point out...

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

something i'd like to point out...

Postby zeo » 17 years ago

i've just read this on "the toby project":
"In a fiery accident, not long afterwards, my father was killed."
this,of course refering to Dr. Tenma,bulfus,what ever you want to call him.bearing in mind of course that he also sold astro to the circus because he went insane realising astro could not grow.AND got seperated from him during an iceburg incident!

this is really begining to confuse me.having only ever watched the '03 astro,i have no idea what happens in the 80's version.or the 60's version for that matter.

if someone could kindly point out witch one acctualy happend,i'd be greatful.
yeah,i too have a deviant art acount ^.^ pop in some time to enjoy the fine art of rubishness!
as aproved by astro boy!
http://firelancess78.deviantart.com/
as aproved by astro boy!
ImageImageImage...what?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

This is confusing indeed, as each version has its own story.
<Possible SPOILER follows>
In the 60s:
Dr. Tenma builts Astro after Tobio's death and adopts him as his son. After a few years, he realizes that Astro won't grow, and decides to sell him to Hamegg. Dr. Tenma appears in a few occasions in the following episodes, sometimes as a good guy, and some other times as a bad guy.
In the 80s:
The same way, Dr.Tenma bults Astro after Tobio's death, but is separated from Astro in a matter of weeks or months later aboard a boat. After an incident in the boat restaurant, Dr. Tenma rejects Astro as his son and orders him to leave the restaurant. Hamegg then tricks Astro into signing a losing contract (Astro basically accepts to become Hamegg's slave). Immediately after that, Dr. Tenma tries to find Astro back, but Hamegg hides Astro from him. Later we learn that Dr. Tenma disappeared or died (varies according to various languages translations), and is never to appear later.
In the 2000s:
Again Dr. Tenma builds Astro after Tobio's death. However, after having tried (and failed) to bend Astro to do his will, he becomes mad and sets the ministry of science on fire. Along all the episodes, Dr. Tenma will try to force Astro to evolve to become the "king of robots". Again Astro will resist Dr. Tenma, and in the last episode, Dr. Tenma will finally acknowledge Astro as a person, distinct from Tobio.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

i had a powercut while wrighting this post, every thing elecetical in the house turned off at the same time. my mum put the emergency power on and i had to re-star the computer and re-wright this post

Any-way.... i wonder why there all diffrent? maybe they couldn't stick to the same plot

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

fafner wrote:Later we learn that Dr. Tenma disappeared or died (varies according to various languages translations), and is never to appear later.

ah,that might explain this.the part that had me confused the most was the "fire" though...
yeah,i too have a deviant art acount ^.^ pop in some time to enjoy the fine art of rubishness!

as aproved by astro boy!

as aproved by astro boy!

ImageImageImage...what?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

fafner wrote:This is confusing indeed, as each version has its own story.
<Possible SPOILER follows>
In the 60s:
Dr. Tenma builts Astro after Tobio's death and adopts him as his son. After a few years, he realizes that Astro won't grow, and decides to sell him to Hamegg. Dr. Tenma appears in a few occasions in the following episodes, sometimes as a good guy, and some other times as a bad guy.
In the 80s:
The same way, Dr.Tenma bults Astro after Tobio's death, but is separated from Astro in a matter of weeks or months later aboard a boat. After an incident in the boat restaurant, Dr. Tenma rejects Astro as his son and orders him to leave the restaurant. Hamegg then tricks Astro into signing a losing contract (Astro basically accepts to become Hamegg's slave). Immediately after that, Dr. Tenma tries to find Astro back, but Hamegg hides Astro from him. Later we learn that Dr. Tenma disappeared or died (varies according to various languages translations), and is never to appear later.
In the 2000s:
Again Dr. Tenma builds Astro after Tobio's death. However, after having tried (and failed) to bend Astro to do his will, he becomes mad and sets the ministry of science on fire. Along all the episodes, Dr. Tenma will try to force Astro to evolve to become the "king of robots". Again Astro will resist Dr. Tenma, and in the last episode, Dr. Tenma will finally acknowledge Astro as a person, distinct from Tobio.

:d evil: Not to mention the various Manga versions of the story, starting with

1. Ambassador Atom (manga vol. 15)
  2. The Birth of Atom (Manga vol. 1)
  3. Dr. Tenma (chronicles of Astroboy; manga vol. 7)
:whistling:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

jeffbert wrote: :d evil: Not to mention the various Manga versions of the story, starting with

1. Ambassador Atom (manga vol. 15)
  2. The Birth of Atom (Manga vol. 1)
  3. Dr. Tenma (chronicles of Astroboy; manga vol. 7)
:whistling:

Hmmm yes, I had thought about mentionning the mangas, but finally forgot :D When I was a child, I was already confused by the slight differences between the comics and the cartoons of the Smurfs. Good thing I didn't know about the many versions of Astroboy, or I would have been in a total confusion :eek:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Kaileocomial
Metro City Citizen

Postby Kaileocomial » 17 years ago

Sparx wrote:Any-way.... i wonder why there all diffrent? maybe they couldn't stick to the same plot

I'm pretty sure it's just a case of whatever whoever is producing it at the time thinks will sell better. I think the 80's changes were made to make Tenma a little less detestable & so that kids wouldn't get as upset (that scene in the 60's one where astro's begging him not to sell him always makes me a bit weepy). As for why they changed SO MUCH in the 2003 series (more than they left the same I recon), I couldn't even begin to speculate...

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

Kaileocomial wrote:I'm pretty sure it's just a case of whatever whoever is producing it at the time thinks will sell better. I think the 80's changes were made to make Tenma a little less detestable & so that kids wouldn't get as upset (that scene in the 60's one where astro's begging him not to sell him always makes me a bit weepy). As for why they changed SO MUCH in the 2003 series (more than they left the same I recon), I couldn't even begin to speculate...

apparently,acording to a good friend of mine on DA (LuckyWinters) a friend of hers who was watching the japenese episodes says that the 2003 version dub was HORRIABLY cut down and bucherd.so it only leaves us to wonder...just what was the japenese version like?

as aproved by astro boy!

as aproved by astro boy!

ImageImageImage...what?

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

i beat the japenese astro boy is good

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

zeo wrote:apparently,acording to a good friend of mine on DA (LuckyWinters) a friend of hers who was watching the japenese episodes says that the 2003 version dub was HORRIABLY cut down and bucherd.so it only leaves us to wonder...just what was the japenese version like?

It had a good bit more content that was not particularly aimed at 8-12 year old boys. Scenes with warmth were generally but not universally cut. Episode 20 (28 in the E vers) was about Peter Pan or actually a modernized version of it; but it was cut entirely, not only from the English version, but the Korean as well. :astro:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”