Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 16 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;76083]
HALL OF SHAME
(Each X is a link)

What 'X'? I see no Xs or links. :unsure:

Well, was there an array of symbols like:
[x] [x] [x] [x]
...below the text? Each of them link to a different picture. (My web hosting program requires me to "republish" the site in order for changes to show, and I may have forgotten to do so.)[/QUOTE]
I do not see any. They were below Ham Egg's picture, but not anymore.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 16 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=Fauna;76085][QUOTE=jeffbert;76083]
HALL OF SHAME
(Each X is a link)

What 'X'? I see no Xs or links. :unsure:

Well, was there an array of symbols like:
[x] [x] [x] [x]
...below the text? Each of them link to a different picture. (My web hosting program requires me to "republish" the site in order for changes to show, and I may have forgotten to do so.)[/QUOTE]
I do not see any. They were below Ham Egg's picture, but not anymore.[/QUOTE]

I've edited the site once more. You really cannot see the links in this circled area? (I'm just concerned - maybe the site's Javascript isn't complying with new computers)

EDIT: I think I just found the problem - raw HTML. Let me know if the [x]'s are visible now.
Last edited by Fauna on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 16 years ago

They are there now, & they work. :lol:

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby munquibyte » 16 years ago

For all its flaws, I liked the Now comic up until issue seven, when it was under Mike Dimpsey's writing. Steacy was an okay artist for the series, but as soon as he took over as the writer the story (and his art) fell apart.
The thing I liked most about Dimpsey's interperetation was the idea that robot sentience had already been around decades before Astro, really driving home the need (and the cognitive dissonance societies often have with second class citizenry) for civil liberties for intelligent machines.
Last edited by munquibyte on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonigirl1000
Banned

Postby tonigirl1000 » 16 years ago

Thanks, i can think of three movies that talk about robot sentience and that means the subject is at least 57 years or older.

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

Well, yeah, the idea of sentient AI probably predates Tezuka, but in Astro's universe, the applied technology is a whole 'nother shpiel. :)

Edit:I'm a huge dork for AI, for you young uns, my av is of Max Headroom, the intelligent computer virus. He was briefly popular in the UK and US in the mid '80s.
Last edited by munquibyte on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

I've only got the issues 10-12 & 15-18 and scans of the first, so I must have missed out on something good.

Aye, but with KWALITEE like this, who can argue with Steacy's work?:

I'm looking for the rest of the issues for crap like this. Watch out for Tripod's pop-ups.
ImageImageImageImage

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

I think I dropped out after issue 10, Steacy's writing was just horrible, I remember one issue was all flashback-so Steacy cut and paste all the earlier artwork, like those Warner/MGM cartoons in the early sixties when they had no budgets left so they re-edited all the old 40's stuff. Broke my heart, I tells ya.
I guess I can't blame Steacy too much, though, word has it Now was infamous for stiffing their staff on the payroll.

Seriously, though, ishes 1-7 ain't all bad. Some of you guys might dig a character called Simon. He's one of Astro's buds in the RoboCircus, he's sadly killed off-right in front of poor Astro. :(

Edit:and oh, there was one good ish after Steacy left, I can't find it or remember who did it, but the art was more faithful to Tezuka and the story was pretty good. Basically, Astro fights a gang of robo cat burglars.
:cries at Mike Dimpsey slam:
Last edited by munquibyte on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Aw, I wasn't trying to insult Michael Dimpsey. Was this about my comment on that weird Steacy page with the Alphagetti aliens? Or the review? I just got so used to making fun of the comics, since much of my collection was Steacy and Pratt work, that I didn't read up on any other writer.

The final artist you're thinking of was Andrew Pratt. He took over the last four issues, two of which I have.
ImageImageImageImage

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

"Fauna" wrote:Aw, I wasn't trying to insult Michael Dimpsey. Was this about my comment on that weird Steacy page with the Alphagetti aliens? Or the review? I just got so used to making fun of the comics, since much of my collection was Steacy and Pratt work, that I didn't read up on any other writer.
The tripod review, ah cain't fault you for that alien page :shudders: :eek: Don't feel too bad, though, I was one of those feebs who read Eb'nn the Raven.

The final artist you're thinking of was Andrew Pratt. He took over the last four issues, two of which I have.
That's the one! Either one of those involve cat burglars? If so, which number?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”