Astroboy the movie ( Sticky? )

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 16 years ago

Tezuka is reputed for being groundbreaking, but looks like some things just needed to stay unknown. Heck, I even saw some panchira in Sailor Moon, which is basically a girl's show, when little Chibi-Usa falls from the sky with her legs flailing.

Then again, I remember reading in an imported how-to-draw-manga book that flashing a character's panties "shows cuteness and innocence".
Last edited by Fauna on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 16 years ago

"Daichi" wrote:Every time that girl takes a step the skirt goes up. Must make pedos go wild.
Pfft.

Well, the Astro figures weren't so great but the Atlas one is surprisingly detailed. I like it greatly.

Not as wild as haveing Astro always in his underwear :lol:

Daichi
Robot President

Postby Daichi » 16 years ago

Yeah, I start drooling every time I look at him. :w00t:

J/K X-D

And really, I don't see how it could show cuteness or innocence. Seems trashy and distasteful to me, and this is coming from a perv... :shifty:
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."
-Atlas

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 16 years ago

"Daichi" wrote:And really, I don't see how it could show cuteness or innocence. Seems trashy and distasteful to me, and this is coming from a perv... :shifty:

Not to defend that, but I think it is more a cultural issue. I've read that Japanese people aren't so much offended by "too much skin" as western people are. As for "flashing a character's panties showing cuteness and innocence", I think it refers to this part of childhood when children aren't shy of being naked as teenagers or adults are, a part of the childhood when they are considered innocent.
My guesses...
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

And then other times, it's just there to cater to the pervs. See the anime "Battering/Beating Angel Dokuro-Chan" for further.

Hoo...we're talking about the movie, right? Michael Lachance (Shrek 2 and Over the Hedge) is writing it, I just learned. Do you guys ever get the feeling that executives are browsing the internet to see what Astro Boy fans are saying? Like they could be reading my post somewhere in L.A.?
ImageImageImageImage

Daichi
Robot President

Postby Daichi » 16 years ago

Obviously not.

...Over the freakin' Hedge? This is going to be the worst family comedy ever.

You're both right to some degree about the panchira thing.
I guess that might be the case about "cuteness and innocence"... But mostly I just see it included for the loli.

No matter the case, it has the same results: perverted attention. The other day I saw such a nasty picture of Uran. *sighs*
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."

-Atlas

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 16 years ago

"fafner" wrote:[QUOTE=Daichi;76700]And really, I don't see how it could show cuteness or innocence. Seems trashy and distasteful to me, and this is coming from a perv... :shifty:

Not to defend that, but I think it is more a cultural issue. I've read that Japanese people aren't so much offended by "too much skin" as western people are. As for "flashing a character's panties showing cuteness and innocence", I think it refers to this part of childhood when children aren't shy of being naked as teenagers or adults are, a part of the childhood when they are considered innocent.
My guesses...[/QUOTE]
With regard to little children, I agree completely. Part of the cuteness is from the innocence itself, regardless of any physical beauty. I was a regular daily comics reader, & kid characters such as Dennis (the menace) & Calvin (& Hobbes) among others were occasionally outside running around naked for one reason or another. I recall Calvin trying to fly, & stripping to become lighter. :D

However, the up-skirt shots of women as seen in many anime seem entirely prurient.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 16 years ago

But as I said before, we've got a series about a little boy who flies around in his underwear so I don't think the pantie thing is a real issue :lol:

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

"Daichi" wrote:Obviously not.

...Over the freakin' Hedge? This is going to be the worst family comedy ever.

Yeah, part of me wishes they had someone out to see what we're saying, and maybe stop that Tanner thing. Seriously, naming this man "Dr. Tanner" not only makes him a lame, watered-down westernization (is "ten-mah" so hard to say?), but he now reminds me of Full House. EEK.

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:But as I said before, we've got a series about a little boy who flies around in his underwear so I don't think the pantie thing is a real issue :lol:

It is when it involves little girls and dozens of creepy otaku with scanners. Like Daichi, I too ran into some scary Uran stuff.
ImageImageImageImage

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 16 years ago

No doubt they changed the name to make it more appealing to Western audiences. :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”